ogfarmer

Sportsman Channel "A Rifleman's Journal" Host Killed

I did not see this posted yet.....We lost another from our cause. RIP

Wayne Bengston Kills Sportsman Channel Host Gregory Rodriguez Before Killing Himself

r-WAYNE-BENGSTON-GREGORY-RODRIGUEZ-large570.jpg?6

Get Crime Alerts:

Video, Gregory Rodriguez Shot, Sportsman Channel, Wayne Bengston Gregory Rodriguez, Wayne Bengston Shot Gregory Rodriguez, Cable Host Dead, Celebrity Deaths, Montana Crime, Mug Shots, Crime News

HELENA, Mont. — A northwestern Montana man shot and killed the host of the Sportsman Channel show "A Rifleman's Journal" in an apparent jealous rage while the TV personality was visiting the shooter's wife, police said Friday.

Wayne Bengston, 41, then beat his wife, took his 2-year-old son to a relative's house and drove to his home about 25 miles away in West Glacier, where he killed himself, Whitefish Police Chief Bill Dial said.

"It's pretty much an open-and-closed case. Homicide and suicide," Dial said.

Police identified the shooting victim as Gregory G. Rodriguez, 43, of Sugar Land, Texas. Bengston's wife told police that Rodriguez was in town on business and visiting her at her mother's house in Whitefish when her husband showed up Thursday at about 10:30 p.m.

Rodriguez and the woman, who works for a firearms manufacturer in the Flathead Valley, met at a trade show and struck up a casual relationship that police do not believe was romantic, Dial said.

She and Rodriguez were sitting at the kitchen table, talking over a glass of wine, when Bengston entered the house and shot Rodriguez, Dial said.

He then beat his wife on the face and head, most likely with the pistol, he said. She was treated at a hospital and released.

"I think it was a jealous husband, but this is all conjecture," Dial said.

After the shooting was reported, Flathead County sheriff's deputies found Bengston's truck parked in his driveway. Efforts by a police SWAT team to contact Bengston inside the house were unsuccessful, and officers found his body with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, police said.

Besides appearing on TV, Rodriguez was the founder and CEO of Global Adventure Outfitters. According to the company's website, he was an editor at Shooting Times Magazine and a contributing editor at Petersen's Hunting, Guns & Ammo and Dangerous Game.

He was a mortgage banker before founding Global Adventure Outfitters and has hunted in 21 countries, the website says.

"A Rifleman's Journal" tracks Rodriguez's hunting travels to exotic locations, according to a Sportsman Channel description.

He has a wife and two children, it says.

A woman who answered the phone at Global Adventure Outfitters confirmed that Rodriguez had been in Montana but said the organization would not be making a statement at the time.

Bengston worked for the U.S. Forest Service, Dial said.

Police identified the shooting victim as Gregory G. Rodriguez, 43, of Sugar Land, Texas. Bengston's wife told police that Rodriguez was in town on business and visiting her at her mother's house in Whitefish when her husband showed up Thursday at about 10:30 p.m.

Rodriguez and the woman, who works for a firearms manufacturer in the Flathead Valley, met at a trade show and struck up a casual relationship that police do not believe was romantic, Dial said.

She and Rodriguez were sitting at the kitchen table, talking over a glass of wine, when Bengston entered the house and shot Rodriguez

It never got the chance to, Husband saw to that.

I am amazed that he did not shoot his wife. Drinking wine in a home with another man at 10:30 at night. Only pistol whipped her, minor injuries and released from hospital. The two year old could have easily been orphaned that day.

first rule for any man that is commonly taught is to stay away from married women.

It is true! You become "friends" with a mans wife, you open yourself up to become a target by her husband. Rule of thumb, leave a married woman alone.

My wife has a guy friend(coworker) who "hangs out" excessively with another female coworker that is married and there is a sneaking suspicion there is something going (and her husband apparently hasn't picked up on it yet).

I tell her, he's asking for a horrible scenario to unfold on him, and lucky for me, my wife understands and agrees that he's a real dumba$$. Plenty of fish in the sea, no need to engage one that is taken and risk it(or your life depending on the husband).

So it's easier to commit murder? So a gaggle of tough guys on the Internet can say, "mess with a married lady and you get what you deserve?"

Please. He should have done himself a favor and vented his own head and left his wife and Rodriguez alone. Done society a favor.

I take far less issue with the perp criminal murderer than the sentiment that Rodriguez and the "cheating wife" got their comeuppance.

I don't sympathize with HIM, though.

Priorities, people.

This type of extreme prejudice is, in my mind, reserved for unpunished rapists and child molesters. Not because you couldn't keep your wife happy enough not to cheat on you.

I take far less issue with the perp criminal murderer than the sentiment that Rodriguez and the "cheating wife" got their comeuppance.

I don't sympathize with HIM, though.

Priorities, people.

This type of extreme prejudice is, in my mind, reserved for unpunished rapists and child molesters. Not because you couldn't keep your wife happy enough not to cheat on you.

Every situation varies...

Regardless, no matter how messed up someone's marriage is to the person luring an outsider in, no man or woman has a right to go and involve themselves with someone who is in a contractually obligated to work on their marriage and are in one.

Till death do us part is how the contract is stated and if you want to be involved in a relationship where death is the parting way in the contract, lol, your call to be in between that! :)

Again- plenty of fish in the sea!

Ps- NOT condoning the actions of the husband, but No one really knows how or what they'd feel to be in his shoes until they are in it. Maybe the guy was a loose canon, who knows. But to be sitting with a married woman in their house at 10:30 at night drinking wine? Just doesn't sound right.

Yeah! He got what was coming to him.

Till death do us part doesn't mean, "till I murder you"

What's next? Condoning "honor killings"? Because that's what this was. His ego was bruised and he killed a guy. Unacceptable.

Crimes of passion like this are just what the antis want. Proof positive that we are all just powder kegs waiting to explode.

Way to blame the victim.

What I'm saying is sometimes its easier to give into emotion then to think things out logically. You walk in and see a man with your wife and you might just see red.

woodentoe, THIS is what I was saying too.

Did he do the right thing in my eyes by murdering him? No

FWIW There was a case not so long ago in VA (?) maybe where the husband caught the wife cheating and murdered her and he was found innocent in their court of law.

IMHO Murder is NEVER the answer, but that is why they are called crimes of "passion" (?).

It's too bad Rodriguez wasn't armed an able to defend his life from a murdering scumbag that many on here seem to be sympathizing with. If your wife cheats on you, leave the ****.

stupid comment as no one is sympathizing with the killer here

10:30 at night having wine with your wife, a history of the husband being agitated by this and you don't think it's gonna get volatile? Tell you what, you start hanging out with some of my friends' wives and see how fast you have your knee caps broken before getting burried in the water. You don't fk with another man's wife unless you want trouble

As for leaving her, absolutely agree however, love, jealousy, envy, and resentment makes people do stupid things.