Sign in to follow this  
Kingsoverqueens

Powder storage

I've read that you shouldn't keep powder in the gun safe...it makes it a big bomb.

But I've got kids and those kids have friends and I mean, Good Lord, I'm tempted to see what happens with gun powder, so I can only imagine the temptation of a kid. lol

So, I don't want to leave jugs of the stuff laying around, but I don't have room in my safe. Anyone have any ideas for something in the middle?

I was thinking of an old Gym locker or file cabinet, that can be locked.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf

Pages 14 and 15. It cites the NFPA standard for quantities and construction types.

The real answer is: How long would it take the FD to get to your house and make a stop on the fire prior to it penetrating your enclosure?

According to the NFPA you may store your smokeless powder in the original packaging up to 20 lbs. It doesn't really represent an explosive hazard . . . it's more a deflagration (fire) hazard.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Use the same precautions you would for other flammables. It's a propellant and not a high explosive.

My wifes first words when she found out I was going to start reloading.

her "Gun Powder, in the house?"

me "Um, yeah."

her "Keep my father out of the basement...he'll try and build a REALLY big firecracker."

Hah. I've made some homemade firecrackers myself too...

But yeah - since I have small quantities of powder, I keep 'em in some ammo boxes.

My father in law is the guy, who when NYC illegal fireworks displays were all the rage, would send the neighborhood kids to pick up all the unfired firecrackers (duds) so he could open them to harvest the gun powder. I'm told he'd sit there for hours, like he was picking crabs. lol

Needless to say, I need to keep the powder under lock and key. I'm less worried about my teenage kids and their friends than I am about him. lol