Old Dog

XDs - new carry gun

Sprinfield-XDs.jpg

UPDATE: I carried it today in my front pocket in a custom Mika Holster (only $30) which is the only pocket holster out of many that stays in my pocket all the time and has no hooks or other gizmos to keep it there. It was very comfortable in my shorts' pocket and it is now officially my new EDC gun for normal activities. Still have my HK P2000SK with 10 and 13 round magazines for those times where I go to a big city. Where I live I am surrounded by buffalo, cows and horses so there is not much danger to worry about. :) Combined with my Sig P938 and .357 LCR I have a pretty good collection of pocket guns that are also not out of place on a belt. I carried it because I went to buy new jeans. You would not believe how cheap clothes are down here. For $100 I come home with a big bag or two of shirts and pants from name companies. Anyway, when I shop for clothes I take my largest pocket gun so that I can test it out with the new pants. I find that relaxed fit jeans have big enough pockets for my guns. I also try to get pants with a little elastic in the waist, comfort fit, so that when I carry IWB I have enough room without buying a size bigger. I had a size bigger but they kept falling down when I did not have a gun under them. Now I have a size that fits me and has enough give at the waist to accommodate a single stack gun.

I was going to my LGS to look at a new S&W 686 that they got in but learned that it was not a "P" version holding 7 rounds, as I had wanted. Gun store clerks are not the best source of info it appears. Anyway since I was there I looked around and spotted a big black box on the bottom shelf and bent over to take a look and sure enough it said XDs on the box. The owner of the store did not even know that he had it and the gun was not on display but still in the box. Let's just say that in Florida we have a lot of small gun stores operating like the old days using mostly manual systems.

I asked to see it as I used to have a 3" Colt Defender and New Agent in .45 and ended up selling them as they were a little on the heavy side for EDC and ammo fussy. I will say right up front that although most of my handguns are 9mm, my preference is for either .357 magnum or .45 ACP. My carry revolvers are .357 mag but did not have anything above a 9mm for in a semi auto. I am also a big fan of pocket carry because it is very comfortable and when I go out I am mostly standing in stores or just walking around taking in the sights and like the ability to put my hand in my pocket and grab my gun and look perfectly natural standing there with a hand in my pocket. For those who think drawing from a pocket is slow let me assure you it is not if you buy the proper pants. We have demonstrated it in our local gun club where one member beat out everyone else in speed of draw using a pocket holster versus IWB and OWB used by all others. Plus nothing says you cannot also carry a gun on your belt. :)

So here I was hold what is claimed to be the smallest .45 made and loving its size and how it felt in my hand. I tried the trigger a few times and it was better than the normal XD triggers and had a decent reset too. At 21 oz. empty it was not as light as my Sig P938 but not too bad either. I usually wear Perry suspenders anyway as I am losing weight and my pants are all big. :) It is also a good size for all of my bags, pouches and packs as well as fitting nicely into the built in holsters in my coat, jacket and two vests. Everything I own has holsters in them and none of them look tactical either. Always wore vest and fanny packs for over 35 years no one asked me if I had a gun in them despite what is said on the internet. Sometimes calling them shoot me first vest make me laugh. Logically most guns are carried on a belt or pocket so if you wanted to shoot someone first your odds of getting the guy with the gun would be much greater if you shot everyone wearing pants.

Anyway, the gun is small and well built and I like the grip safety that does not require anything of me. In over 40 years, some of them using a 1911 in combat, I have never had a problem with the safety grip. Too many people confuse anything that is possible with something to worry about. Getting hit with a meteorite is possible and yet no one wears helmets outdoors. Today I got my IWB and OWB holsters and the gun conceals as well as a gun can. Went out with a light shirt and even when I bent over nothing showed as the grip is small. The gun fit a pocket holster I had for another gun just fine so I am good to go. Tomorrow I test it out with some boxes of 230 and 185 grain .45 APC FMJ and JHP ammo I bought locally cheaper than they it sells for online. I fully expect it to function flawlessly as it has for most that bought it.

I think that Springfield has a winner with this gun and am looking forward to the 9mm version coming out soon. I normally carry a Sip P938 and Ruger LCR in .357 so I have no problem carrying a very flat 6 shot .45 instead. This could become my sole carry gun and if reliable I may trade in two or three other guns for a nice expensive 1911. :) Will provide the range report either tomorrow or Saturday.

The Grip is a little aggressive, the first day I shot around 30 rounds, and it really tore into my skin on my palm hand. I waited a few days, and shot another 30.... less painfull, then by the 3 range trip the hand was fine for 50+ rounds. I have both 5 and 7 round mags. But I think your really going to like it.

The Grip is a little aggressive, the first day I shot around 30 rounds, and it really tore into my skin on my palm hand. I waited a few days, and shot another 30.... less painfull, then by the 3 range trip the hand was fine for 50+ rounds. I have both 5 and 7 round mags. But I think your really going to like it.

Thanks to all for the positive feedback. I am always apprehensive when I buy a new pistol due to more than a few being bad out of the box. No such worries with revolvers but each has its uses. The grip leaves an imprint on my hand just holding I for a small time so I can imagine what it will be like shooting it. I see that I can get Talon rubber grips for it which I may due depending on how it goes tomorrow. I am also bring my shooting gloves just in case although I had no problem with the first Glock RTF grips. I usually put skateboard tape on guns that are smooth but never tried those rubber stick on ones. Might give it a try. Once again, thanks for the info.

I have this XDs 45 acp and posted two range reports on it already in January (i think it was)..It is one fantastic little pistol...If I can hit all A's on a USPSA chart with a 3.3 inch barrel at 25 yards - it works for me!...I don't remember any "failures" during the visits...She is a bucking brongo but very, very accurate for a pocket pistol - hold her with authority to show her you are in control. She will please you in return (5 or 7 round mags)...The only pistol I have more ergonomic than a 1911...Good luck - treat the Lady right!

I have this XDs 45 acp and posted two range reports on it already in January (i think it was)..It is one fantastic little pistol...If I can hit all A's on a USPSA chart with a 3.3 inch barrel at 25 yards - it works for me!...I don't remember any "failures" during the visits...She is a bucking brongo but very, very accurate for a pocket pistol - hold her with authority to show her you are in control. She will please you in return (5 or 7 round mags)...The only pistol I have more ergonomic than a 1911...Good luck - treat the Lady right!

PS I have about 300 rounds on her. (awsome sights, and super sweat trigger BTW also).

Recoil is my main concern. Up to a year ago I owned and shot .44 magnums, .357's and .45's all the time. I was a recoil junkie and did not enjoy shooting guns that did not have a kick to them. However my arthritis got worse and I found my hand started to shake after about 25 rounds making it impossible to shoot anymore that day. In frustration I sold off my Colt Defender, New Agent, Sig P220 and S&W 1911E for some revolvers and 9mm's. However I still wanted a .45 since my pocket snub nose is a .357 as is my belt revolver. I fell in love with the small size of the Colt Defender but it was a little too heavy for extended carry for me and of course I could not enjoy shooting it much. I am resigned to carrying the XDs and shooting it little. After all I can easily manage a few mags before my hands give me trouble so there really is no reason not to carry it as I will never shoot it defensively to the point where it affects my hands. I am going to try my padded shooting gloves to break it in as I want to put about 100 rounds through it tomorrow. I normally do not carry a gun until I have 200 practice rounds and at least a few mags of carry ammo. I got all the ammo I need delivered yesterday so I am ready to go. However the range has been crowded lately and I have not been able to shoot as they have no waiting room and no system in place other than to tell you to go get something to eat and try again later. They do not even have much ammo so I cannot understand why they are crowded. In any event, after Easter the snowbirds down here will be going back north and for six months I can enjoy a range where I am often the only shooter there and no more lines for restaurants or traffic lights. :)

Recoil is my main concern. Up to a year ago I owned and shot .44 magnums, .357's and .45's all the time. I was a recoil junkie and did not enjoy shooting guns that did not have a kick to them. However my arthritis got worse and I found my hand started to shake after about 25 rounds making it impossible to shoot anymore that day. In frustration I sold off my Colt Defender, New Agent, Sig P220 and S&W 1911E for some revolvers and 9mm's. However I still wanted a .45 since my pocket snub nose is a .357 as is my belt revolver. I fell in love with the small size of the Colt Defender but it was a little too heavy for extended carry for me and of course I could not enjoy shooting it much. I am resigned to carrying the XDs and shooting it little. After all I can easily manage a few mags before my hands give me trouble so there really is no reason not to carry it as I will never shoot it defensively to the point where it affects my hands. I am going to try my padded shooting gloves to break it in as I want to put about 100 rounds through it tomorrow. I normally do not carry a gun until I have 200 practice rounds and at least a few mags of carry ammo. I got all the ammo I need delivered yesterday so I am ready to go. However the range has been crowded lately and I have not been able to shoot as they have no waiting room and no system in place other than to tell you to go get something to eat and try again later. They do not even have much ammo so I cannot understand why they are crowded. In any event, after Easter the snowbirds down here will be going back north and for six months I can enjoy a range where I am often the only shooter there and no more lines for restaurants or traffic lights. :)

Good luck - you may want to try a wrist brace too on your shooting hand...

The only thing I don't like about it is the grip safety. Because of that, I actually prefer the M&P Shield. And, I do not mind the safety on the Shield, as it never gets put on accidentally and to me, it isn't really there.

Good luck - you may want to try a wrist brace too on your shooting hand...

You know, I did not think about that. Very good idea. I have never had any problems so I am not familiar with what is out there to help me.

On my list but I keep missing them when the LGS gets them in stock.

I've asked for notification from two different dealers that carry them and never get a call. Just an "Oh - we had one, sold it yesterday" when I inquire.

My LGS does the same thing. They will not take an order for a popular gun saying that they always have them on order and that they will call you but never do. Luckily I have 2 gun stores within a half hour's drive and know when they get new deliveries so I can visit them or call them as needed.

The only thing I don't like about it is the grip safety. Because of that, I actually prefer the M&P Shield. And, I do not mind the safety on the Shield, as it never gets put on accidentally and to me, it isn't really there.

Interesting as most would prefer a grip safety which is kind of passive rather than a safety that you have to remember to move. However, I have two guns with manual safeties so I am not against them at all. I know that there is talk about not being able to fire the gun if you hold it some weird way that does not disengage the grip safety but with a gun this small, that is not really a concern because to get any kind of shooting grip on a gun this small you will disengage the grip safety due to lack of real estate on the grip. I tried to shoot it yesterday in some manner without activating the grip safety and I could not. I might have if I shot it in some weird kind of way like using my thumb on the trigger but not any way where I held the gun in the palm of my hand. Just not enough room on the backstrap to allow you not to hit the grip safety.