wooly bugger

Mosin M44 arrived!

Finally my NICS check cleared, and I was able to pick up and try my new M44. It is a beast and didn't disappoint me with its ability to spit dragon fire.

A couple of questions.

1) It's stamped "Made in Russia." (bought from Aimsurplus.) Has anyone else seen this? It's obviously not original, so kind of annoying.

2) I shot both Russian surplus and Winchester factory ammo. Needless to say, the Winchester was much more accurate. Is there any benefit in trying different sources of surplus ammo in hopes of finding one that's close to factory, or is it just a given that surplus will be inaccurate.

I found he Russian light ball to be fairly accurate enough & it's cheap. But a mosin with surplus ammo is never going to be a tax driver. The made in Russia is hat part of the import stamp? & where is it located?

Made is Russia stamp is an import mark needed to import it as said above.

As for accuracy if you can hit a man size target at 100-150-200yds surplus ammo is ok but that is my take on accuracy

,you may have a different opinion on what s accurate.

I ve tried Winchester ammo, which was Sellier and Bellot made for Winchester's ametric caliber line and had good results with it but only slightly better that surplus ammo.

If you cork the mosin the groups will tighten. I did this to mine and they greatly improved.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu63.htm

It's stamped "Made in Russia." (bought from Aimsurplus.) Has anyone else seen this? It's obviously not original, so kind of annoying.

The import stamp was required after the GCA of 1968 I believe. The methods have been changed over the years.The stamping on your gun makes it less desirable to a collector and it will effect the value of these types of rifles in the future.The more recent imports are worth about half of what an old one goes for(other factors apply). The old way was to stamp some sort of marking under the barrel where it was hidden. For example most K98s I have seen say K98 German 8mm or something like that.