Sign in to follow this  
Sludog

Any Uberti 1866 yellow boy .38 cal owners out there?

I was thinking about buying a slightly used Uberti 1866 yellow boy 19" lever action rifle. I compared it to a new Marlin lever action and was blown away by the difference in quality and workmanship in the Uberti. The few Uberti's that I have come across seem very well made and built to last. I was looking for a Winchester lever action they are hard to find and very expensive. I also heard that takedown and maintenance on the Uberti's is pretty simple. Does anyone have a yellow boy the can comment on? Anything I should look for if I buy used?

You can shoot .38's in a .357 but not the other way 'round.

Dang, between this thread and the other one about .357 levers, now I want one.

Noooooooo. I don't need more competition looking for a lever gun. Lol

No seriously. They are really cool looking guns and I think it would make a great first rifle to do some target shooting. Was looking at bolt action as well but probably go with a lever soon.

When I first got into shooting, I resisted lever actions. I don't know why, they just didn't do much for me. By chance, I came across a smoking deal on a pre-'64 1894 Winchester in .30-30. I figured it would be a great PA deer rifle, so I bit. Shot it, and it just felt right. Now I'm hooked. I may have gone overboard.

Win 1894 .30-30

Marlin 336 .35 Remington

Marlin 1895 .45-70 Government

Savage 99 .300 Savage

Savage 99 .308 Winchester

Puma 1892 .45 Colt

Henry Golden Boy .22

You see what's Missing there? A .38/.357 of course!

Buy it. The 1866 and 1873s have fantastic actions. .Good gun if you ever want to shoot CAS, I just got an 1873 but have not had it to the range yet.

RobertJames - Nice list of levers!

Maybe next year a 45-70 and a BLR in .308

Just an update. I bought the the Uberti 1866 Yellow boy .38 cal today. I went to the shop to put my purchase permit and NICS in for a Browning Buckmark pistol I had on layaway waiting for OGAM to pass and looked long and hard at the Uberti again. It just felt right and looked beautiful and did not want to pass it up again. I also held a Rossi .357 lever and a couple of Henry .22's they had but the Uberti blew them away in my opinion. This is my first rifle and I may have gone overboard but I think I made a great choice.  Figured I could use the same NICS check and save a few bucks. Sad thing is that I was told that NICS are taking 17 days now and mine may be up to 21 days. At least I have that time to save some money up because I will be pretty broke soon. Probably have to sell off some of the ammo I have been stock piling.  

Just an update. I bought the the Uberti 1866 Yellow boy .38 cal today. I went to the shop to put my purchase permit and NICS in for a Browning Buckmark pistol I had on layaway waiting for OGAM to pass and looked long and hard at the Uberti again. It just felt right and looked beautiful and did not want to pass it up again. I also held a Rossi .357 lever and a couple of Henry .22's they had but the Uberti blew them away in my opinion. This is my first rifle and I may have gone overboard but I think I made a great choice.  Figured I could use the same NICS check and save a few bucks. Sad thing is that I was told that NICS are taking 17 days now and mine may be up to 21 days. At least I have that time to save some money up because I will be pretty broke soon. Probably have to sell off some of the ammo I have been stock piling.  

Congrat's on the purchase!! I love lever guns, learned on one and I've been in love ever since. Uberti makes some fine lever rifles. You will not be disappointed and you'll have an absolute blast shooting it. Please post up some pictures of your new baby when it finally makes it home. 

Buy it. The 1866 and 1873s have fantastic actions. .Good gun if you ever want to shoot CAS, I just got an 1873 but have not had it to the range yet.

RobertJames - Nice list of levers!

Maybe next year a 45-70 and a BLR in .308

Mmmmm....BLR in 308....definitely on my must have list. Either 308 or 243 though, i guess it depends on what I can find. I barely EVER see ANY BLR's at gun stores. I held one when I was 15 and I haven't seen one since. Must...resist...urge to...spend more money....