Old Dog

How is ammo shortage affecting you?

I don't shoot as often, nor as much as I would like. Even though I'm a member of CJRPC, I still also am a member of Ready, Aim, Fire. If I feel like a few hours of range time, I buy my ammo there and don't use my backup ammo.

I placed a bulk order for 38 special a couple of months ago, which was the only ammo I could find online. Not cheap, but not terribly priced. It came in about a week ago, so now I have plenty of revolver ammo. I still have a nice stash of 9mm and 22lr from Black Friday sales, but I'm nursing it. By rotating between calibers I expect to make it through a year of matches, with little practice in between. I will begin reloading as soon as equipment and supplies become available again. And by that time I will have saved a lot of brass.

I normally go the range once a month, twice max and never was one to shoot more than 100 rounds total. I just don't see the benefit (or fun) of using hundreds of rounds blasting away at a paper target unless you are a competitive bullseye shooter and are training. So, with my supply, I should be good to go for at least a few years. The difference I've found is bringing others to the range. I used to think nothing of bringing an extra box of ammo for a newbie friend. Not any more. Second impact is training. I recently took the GFH Urban Carbine I class (fantastic class by the way) and went through roughly 300 rounds of 5.56. That's getting harder to do. Wonder how/if that is impacting GFH and other schools.

The gun community is doing this to themselves. It's ridiculous. Hoard away morons.

+1 counter guy at Dicks said its the same people waiting for the ammo deliveries day after day.. Week in week out..

heard the same thing from dicks in deptford

sent from my Samsung Note 2

9.3% unemployment in the Garden State, so there are a lot of people with too much time on their hands. Are we seeing a new cottage industry here? (Buy ammo from retailers without crazy markups, resell at a profit).

9.3% unemployment in the Garden State, so there are a lot of people with too much time on their hands. Are we seeing a new cottage industry here? (Buy ammo from retailers without crazy markups, resell at a profit).

I believe we are. What bothers me the most is when people buy it and then put it on here and say "they wouldn't mark it up normally but the mark up is for the inconvenience" no one asked you to go to dicks or wherever and buy it for them. If you don't need it, don't buy it. Pretty simple right? If you are going to buy it and sell it marked up just say" yeah I'm doing this to make money off people in the gun community." I wouldn't buy it but I'd respect the honesty. And lastly, if you are selling at a mark up don't **** when someone is selling something you want at a mark up. Sorry, rant over.

sent from my Samsung Note 2

I believe we are. What bothers me the most is when people buy it and then put it on here and say "they wouldn't mark it up normally but the mark up is for the inconvenience" no one asked you to go to dicks or wherever and buy it for them. If you don't need it, don't buy it. Pretty simple right? If you are going to buy it and sell it marked up just say" yeah I'm doing this to make money off people in the gun community." I wouldn't buy it but I'd respect the honesty. And lastly, if you are selling at a mark up don't **** when someone is selling something you want at a mark up. Sorry, rant over.

+1.

This current shortage is definitely affecting me. I don't want to be a stalker but seems like that's the only way for me to get anything these days without being gouged. 4wks now I've tried finding lead to feed my gear to no avail. Empty shelves. Same camper issues at my local Dick's clearing out the shelves when a shipment comes in.

I have only a small nest egg of lead. If I go to 2 or 3 matches this year, then I'm clean out. If I can't find supplemental source to replenish, I'm hunkering down what I have left. My 22lr was suppose to be the fun and cheap plinker in tough times. Could never have imagined even that's gone. At current rates, I won't be able to fund my hobby.

Gonna have to focus on other hobbies. Fishing.....

I'm going to relate what happened at Walmart yesterday. Even though I'm in Kentucky, just replace Walmart with any store that sells ammo in NJ and I'm willing to bet it might be same that y'all experience at your local ammo store. Talking to inlaws in Ohio, who waited in line at Dicks Sporting Goods for ammo to arrive ...this kind of thing could be happened all over the country.

And I did notice that talking with other people line gives a true insight on what is going on in the minds of the average gun owner. Seems we all have the same thoughts and concerns, talking about ammo and firearms is a good way to pass time while waiting.

Here is the story that I related on another pro-gun site.

I was 'lucky' yesterday. I go to Walmart to the sporting goods section. There was no handgun or rifle ammo except for .410 Judge, .243 Winchester and some other odd stuff. We hear from someone else that the trucks just came in, we are waiting and waiting at the counter....

First we were told that they cannot release ammo until the truck has been fully unloaded. It was 5 pm and it would be at least 8 pm. We ask to see the manager, him and another manager stop by and explain their store policy that they cannot release ammo until the truck is fully unloaded. There were two other people ahead of me in line, I just said I need a box or two of 45 acp (I would have bought three boxes if I could). The other two customers needed .40 and 9mm .There is a 3 box limit per customer.

The other customer ahead of me tries talking to one manager, I just said I needed a box of .45 acp, the other customer chimes in and says just give us a number and we'll just shop the store until the numbers are called. Manager says they tried that once and people were bringing in numbers from the other day and it was an abuse of the system.

So I said, I'll pay in advance and just set it aside for me, manager they can't do that. OK, I guess we wait, meantime there was a line forming for the ammo...seems most wanted the 9 mm. The manager said he was going to look at the truck and left, and we are all waiting and talking about the ammo situation.

Some of the customers were relating horror stories of places where they saw common 9 mm ammo sell for $50 online. Another customer gave his theories on why there is ammo shortage, another one was questioning why the govt needed hollow points and other was explaining that he cut back on target shooting until he could buy another box of ammo.

The manager comes back with the flat cart. There were just a few ammo cases on the truck. The guy behind the counter opens up the cases and goes through them. First guy in line buys three boxes of 9mm. The second guy wanted .40 cal but settles for three boxes of 9 mm. Me..third in line was 'lucky' there was ONE 50 round box of .45 acp.

There was no more handgun ammo left, the people behind me were looking for 9mm, .22 cal , and other regular handgun and rifle ammo, there was some rifle ammo but I didn't wait around to see what it was. I paid for the single box of .45 acp considered myself lucky and left. At this point the line was pretty long and I could see people were frustrated and disappointed.

I think the same thing is repeated across all the stores nationwide. Get what you can, while you can, for the least amount of money you can stand to spend.

Id say first and foremost abandon looking at places like gun broker and ctd... gun broker as a whole is REALLY fueling this fire. People are emptying the shelves of big box stores at normal prices, and reselling at huge markups (or hoarding). All of this... waiting in line at dicks, buying things here from people that justify their prices with (its going on gunbroker for...) continue this cycle.

If you are a new shooter and need some ammo, I understand... If you refuse to just deal with what you have until all of this blows over you are NOT helping the situation. Im not here to tell you how much ammo one person needs... but if you really need to buy at prices like this...know that you the consumer are assisting in prolonging this scarcity.

Shooters are feeding this animal.. We should be ashamed at ourselves for paying these prices and waiting in lines outside of stores.. Govt isnt banning ammo..lets get real.. Take a few weeks off and watch the results folks..not shooting for a little while aint gonna kill anyone here

See pretty

Are those the empty boxes after they sold out everything? LOL! Nice. I was wondering where all the PMCs were going.

I thought I was crazy for buying a case of shotshells during November. Was only planning to keep ~500rds of each caliber I need and restock when I hit below 100. Boy was I wrong. I need a bigger tank and increase my min reserve.

I gotta figure out my prices first. I paid a guy to sit in line for me today while I was at work. That obviously is getting worked in with the price. It was easy money but still took time and that's not free. Keep your eye out for a Craigslist add out of Salem county. I don't have a premium membership here due to lack of a PayPal.