MonmouthShooter

A new member saying hello

Although I have been shooting with friends for a while now, I finally decided it was time to get my own guns.

My wife in I applied for our FIDs and pistol purchase permits in Marlboro. When we were filling out the paperwork the officer asked us if we knew what pistols we are planning on purchasing. When I told him that I had no idea, he followed up with asking me why we were only getting 1 purcase permit each. He explained that if I was not happy with what I buy, I will have to come back and go thought the process all over again. This was helpful advice, so my wife and I got 2 permit each.

It took 6 weeks to get the paperwork back, just like the officer told us. We went to a few shops in central jersey, looking for a 9mm and a .38. After visiting a few shops we realized just how bad things were with invenroty. What was told in several shops it that it's a matter of luck what I can find, and if I wanted to custom order something, I can not be guaranteed that it would come in before my permits expire!

Finally, I found a Glock 19, and a S&W .38 bodyguard in stock at Brick Armory. The NICS took 8 days. Since then, my wife and I have been at the range 2x week shooting.

Although when I was applying for my permits I did not think I would ever need to get another purchase permit, but only a few weeks after picking up our guns, my wife saw a Beretta 92 M9A1 come in to Brick Armory, and immideately bought it :) Myself, I am now looking for a 1911, and a .22 for the kids to use. I guess I will be going back to Marlboro PD to do the additional paperwork after all.

Glad to be a new member of this forum!

My wife in I applied for our FIDs and pistol purchase permits in Marlboro. When we were filling out the paperwork the officer asked us if we knew what pistols we are planning on purchasing. When I told him that I had no idea, he followed up with asking me why we were only getting 1 purcase permit each. He explained that if I was not happy with what I buy, I will have to come back and go thought the process all over again. This was helpful advice, so my wife and I got 2 permit each.

All I can say to this is WOW! That's what all PDs should be like. And a 6 week turn around is amazing compared to the horror stories you'll read in other threads.

Welcome to the forums and good luck on the hunt for your 1911

When I applied I only asked for two permits. After I found out you can renew for another 90 days if needed I was kicking myself. There was a slight delay with with my paperwork so when I inquired the status I asked if I could add two more permits and the woman said no problem.

If I were you I would ask for 4 permits this time. $2 each won't break the bank if you don't use them in 6 months.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I wonder what paperwork Marlboro PD will require for the additional permits. I understand that they run the background check every time you request a new permit, although it was just done 2 months ago. What about fingerprints? Reference Letters? Anyone know?

Thanks!