BlueLineFish

Multiple Purchase Exemption Question

If you have multiple guns at multiple locations can you submit one exemption form and pick up guns at both places. I would assume each place would do their respective NICS. I am sure this isn't a common question so hopefully someone has an answer

Yes, you can do that with as many different FFL's as-needed, just costs you more. Need the make/model/SN of each handgun on that form, but I'm sure you already know that. The Exemption is my only way to use all three permits I will eventually receive since my town won't extend them anymore and NICS is no longer a 5 minute phone call.

There are two forms.

One is ST15, the other ST16.

ST15 is the total form with ALL of the guns from EVERYWHERE that you are trying to purchase under exemption. You fill all that in.

Then, you have ST16, which is for the individual seller, be it FFL or individual, where they list the guns you are buying from them, and they sign.

Turn all of those in at the PD and all get submitted to State Police. Then, you can pick up the guns, once forms come back, from those various sellers.

Same as you said, if two FFL's, each require a Nics. If FFL and Private.... then FFL nics, and Private as it is. The Seller retains a copy of the ST16 that was approved for them.

i have done the exemption multiple times just never at multiple locations

Could we add a sticky (maybe written by BlueLineFish) that lists and explains what you need to do for a multiple purpose exemption? I know the content is sprinkled through a few threads, but it's hard to see the whole process.

I'm looking at a pair of SA revolvers for SASS events, and the guns I'm looking at have sequential serials and come in the same box, so they are probably a great example of a multiple purchase exemption.

There are two forms.

ST15 is the total form with ALL of the guns from EVERYWHERE that you are trying to purchase under exemption. You fill all that in.

Then, you have ST16, which is for the individual seller, be it FFL or individual, where they list the guns you are buying from them, and they sign.

Turn all of those in at the PD and all get submitted to State Police. Then, you can pick up the guns, once forms come back, from those various sellers.

Same as you said, if two FFL's, each require a Nics. If FFL and Private.... then FFL nics, and Private as it is. The Seller retains a copy of the ST16 that was approved for them.

Thats what i thought thanks

There are two forms.

I have typically mailed the forms into the SP myself thereby avoiding a potential 6 week delay in waiting for my town to do it. I just did this in April and the SP mailed the approved form back to my PD in two weeks. Now if only my permits would come in......Nothing like waiting to pick up $7g's worth of guns and waiting now close to three months for permits....At least I'll be able to get them all at once after the two week NICS check....

I have typically mailed the forms into the SP myself thereby avoiding a potential 6 week delay in waiting for my town to do it. I just did this in April and the SP mailed the approved form back to my PD in two weeks. Now if only my permits would come in......Nothing like waiting to pick up $7g's worth of guns and waiting now close to three months for permits....At least I'll be able to get them all at once after the two week NICS check....

And herein is the problem.... you are supposed to do it through your PD, and they are to mail in your exemption, as they have to list the permit numbers on the exemption paperwork, iirc.

My town is very diligent about it, and I suspect so are most others. 5 to 6 weeks for State Police to approve the exemption.

As far as criteria... it is a rubber stamp approval.

You can check off one of 3 boxes, 1. Inheritance, 2. Collector 3. Competitor. You can write a brief blurb as to why you need it, and if you want, attach proof.

I never attached anything, and checked off as "Collector", never any issues.

And herein is the problem.... you are supposed to do it through your PD, and they are to mail in your exemption, as they have to list the permit numbers on the exemption paperwork, iirc.

The clerk in my PD didn't know this process even existed. If/when I ever do it I'll mail the forms to the state myself with a cover letter and cc my local PD with copies of the form, assuming I'm applying for permits at the same time of course.

"And herein is the problem.... you are supposed to do it through your PD, and they are to mail in your exemption, as they have to list the permit numbers on the exemption paperwork, iirc."

Nowhere on either of the NJSP forms is there a place for permit numbers. Nor are the permit numbers referenced when the NICS call is made. The entire process of the multiple exemption is keyed off the serial number of the guns. So make SURE they are correct in all places.

Send the forms directly to the NJSP. They will send it back to the PD you specify on the forms.

My town is very diligent about it, and I suspect so are most others. 5 to 6 weeks for State Police to approve the exemption.

As far as criteria... it is a rubber stamp approval.

You can check off one of 3 boxes, 1. Inheritance, 2. Collector 3. Competitor. You can write a brief blurb as to why you need it, and if you want, attach proof.

I never attached anything, and checked off as "Collector", never any issues.

Why a problem? SP sent it back approved in two weeks...