Tallday

lets hear you gun cleaning process and things you use!

Alright my regimen is a bit more involved than many others so here I go.  I use only a 1pc rod with corresponding jag and brush, the jointed rods will wear your bore and the snakes dont do much.  I do this cleaning about every 5 range trips.  I get home and disassemble the gun completely.  I go over to the deep sink and turn on the water and get it going as hot as i can stand it.    Put some joy soap on the brush and start scrubbing the barrel.  Flush with water and scrub again without soap.  I normally do this a couple of times.  Then get a old tooth brush and scrub the receiver with soap and do a detailed scrubbing.  And yet again rinse with hot water.  Go to the air compressor and blow everyting out nicely and patch out the barrel.  I oil the receiver and outside of the barrel.  Then follow up with some gunslick foaming bore cleaner, sometimes letting it sit over night.  Wake up in the morning and patch out the dissolved copper and run an patch with ballistol down the bore.  Clean all the small parts with Hoppes and reassemble the gun.  When I oil I use an old school shaving brush and put some Ballistol on it (try it you'll love it).  Just rub it into all the lettering and stamping and do a quick once over of the gun and follow up with a wipe down with a microfiber cloth.  Before putting in the safe the gun will sit in a corner muzzle down on a few paper towels folded up to catch the excess oil from the bore.  This avoids what is called oil rot, where oil impregnates and softens the wood of a stock.  Look at an old gun and normally around the receiver tang the wood is a hair darker than the rest of the gun, that is oil rot.   

For normal cleaning between range trips I use Hoppes for cleaning and Balistol for preservation.  All moving parts get either Mobil 1 synthetic or just plain old bearing grease.  If it slides grease it, if it rotates oil it.  

And yes I said it, I clean my guns in the sink with water :onthequiet:

I have been using fire clean for a few months now at it seem to be very good so far. You can just wipe the guns down after use and all the crap comes off easy, I don't have to scrub anymore. I was using frog lube for awhile but not anymore! I will be sticking with Fire Clean from now on!!

Not a single crack about cherry flavored Astra Glide. I am so disappointed in all of you.

Every once in a while ill stick a bottle of that in a random persons cart at a supermarket.

I have read this about four times today just for the laugh! Thanks!

Breakfree CLP + rags + patches + q tips for hard to reach places. I think I would enjoy cleaning more if I wasn't so ADD about it. Takes me about an hour to clean just a single gun because if there's even one spot that looks off, I have to keep cleaning it. Also, it's surprising just how many little nooks and crannies crud can get into.

In my experience it is crap. If you come out to any of the local USPSA matches, let me know and I'll sell you the 99%+ remaining in my $30 kit for $20.

As for the original question, the only thing I use that isn't fairly standard stuff in terms of tools are bamboo barbecue skewers. Snap off a chunk and fray the end and you have a device you can soak in solvent and scrub at stuck on gunk in pretty tight places without risk of abrading anything really. They are also fairly solvent agnostic.

As for cleaners and lubes, I keep a decent teflon dry film spray, a decent molybdenum disulfide dry spray, some breakfree CLP, some fp-10, and all three weights of slide glide around as well as some butch's bore shine and some gunblast or equivalent.

With that you can make most guns happy for most environments by picking and choosing correctly.

I havent had an issue with froglube at all...seems to get it clean and wipes away nicely then a light coating and bam back to pew pew pew with out a problem.

I haven't used it to clean. Most clp disappoints on the cleaning and i have plenty of solvents i like.

It's corrosion protection is pretty bad and it doesn't seem to stay in place when you handle the firearm. Used it, by the end of the match I had plenty of pinhead rust from sweat, and the gun sounded like it was running dry.

The pinhead rust happens with a couple lubes. The feeling like all the lube went bye bye in one afternoon is something I haven't had problems with with literally any other lube.

Smells ok.

It's overpriced crap.

Alright my regimen is a bit more involved than many others so here I go.  I use only a 1pc rod with corresponding jag and brush, the jointed rods will wear your bore and the snakes dont do much.  I do this cleaning about every 5 range trips.  I get home and disassemble the gun completely.  I go over to the deep sink and turn on the water and get it going as hot as i can stand it.    Put some joy soap on the brush and start scrubbing the barrel.  Flush with water and scrub again without soap.  I normally do this a couple of times.  Then get a old tooth brush and scrub the receiver with soap and do a detailed scrubbing.  And yet again rinse with hot water.  Go to the air compressor and blow everyting out nicely and patch out the barrel.  I oil the receiver and outside of the barrel.  Then follow up with some gunslick foaming bore cleaner, sometimes letting it sit over night.  Wake up in the morning and patch out the dissolved copper and run an patch with ballistol down the bore.  Clean all the small parts with Hoppes and reassemble the gun.  When I oil I use an old school shaving brush and put some Ballistol on it (try it you'll love it).  Just rub it into all the lettering and stamping and do a quick once over of the gun and follow up with a wipe down with a microfiber cloth.  Before putting in the safe the gun will sit in a corner muzzle down on a few paper towels folded up to catch the excess oil from the bore.  This avoids what is called oil rot, where oil impregnates and softens the wood of a stock.  Look at an old gun and normally around the receiver tang the wood is a hair darker than the rest of the gun, that is oil rot.   

For normal cleaning between range trips I use Hoppes for cleaning and Balistol for preservation.  All moving parts get either Mobil 1 synthetic or just plain old bearing grease.  If it slides grease it, if it rotates oil it.  

And yes I said it, I clean my guns in the sink with water :onthequiet:

The sink I have done on some surplus cosmo caked guns but the Moble1 is new to me I should try that!!