mipafox

Cop Coffee

FWIW I can't understand the concept of being in plain clothes with an exposed firearm. I worked hard to become an investigator in plain clothes with a concealed firearm and no one knows I'm a LEO unless they know me or I want to let them know. The agency I worked for hsd in their firearms policy that your gun stays concealed in plain clothes unless you're using it.

Free coffee? Its the buisness that owns it, if they want to give it away, okay by me, inner city probably gives it away to gang bangers to buy peace of mind, what has no place and no excuse is PBA cards and shields, thats the entitlement mentality on overdrive, thats a big reason people dont respect law enforcement, not some cup of coffee.

FWIW I can't understand the concept of being in plain clothes with an exposed firearm. I worked hard to become an investigator in plain clothes with a concealed firearm and no one knows I'm a LEO unless they know me or I want to let them know. The agency I worked for hsd in their firearms policy that your gun stays concealed in plain clothes unless you're using it.

Griz,

I'm with you on this one.  It's a regional "thing" I guess.  How many times have you seen obvious "lean, with a Marine High and Tight hair cut" clean-shaven guys wearing khakis and an unbuttoned navy blue sport coat and their shiny badge clipped next to their gun in front of their holster?  Almost as obvious as emerging from a Ford Crown Victoria outfitted with full-moon hub caps and dual exhaust along with "Police Interceptor" plaqued onto the left rear trunk lid, lol!  I can spot 'em a mile away, lol!

In NJ Cops like Frank Serpico would be "9-11'd in" as a Dirt Bag with a GUN (if it ever became visible).

In contrast, I just came back from visiting my Son in Iowa, where a very effective "shall issue" permit system is in place.  Everybody carries concealed and the Cops "blend-in" to the background.  They don't wear the khakis or the "High and Tights".  Nobody locks their vehicles or house; a completely different world where guardrails are rare, taxes are low and self-protection is the norm....

So maybe somebody needs to "clue them in" to lose the blue sport coat?  LOL!

Dave

When I was at Ground Zero as National Guard, I couldn't walk a block without someone shoving coffee or soup into my hand.

When I was in New Orleans after Katrina the people in the Lakeview district would insist that we have lunch or dinner with them.  This presented two problems.  Eating "on the economy" drove the brass nuts because they insisted that's how disease started - they didn't know how food had been stored and if we got sick because we ate unapproved, un-inspected food on the economy we could get sick and bring the sickness back to our staging area and get others sick.

But on the other hand, you look at somebody who just lost his home and his grandmother and that guy is so happy to see you, how do you not take a coke and a hot dog from him?  Do you really want to be that a-hole?  Funny thing was, we were supposed to be giving food and water to THEM!  

IMHO, I've noticed that most people respect men and women in uniform and want to feel like they are giving back.  If it's a cup of coffee or a hot cup of soup.  It makes them feel good.

When I was at Ground Zero as National Guard, I couldn't walk a block without someone shoving coffee or soup into my hand.

When I was in New Orleans after Katrina the people in the Lakeview district would insist that we have lunch or dinner with them.  This presented two problems.  Eating "on the economy" drove the brass nuts because they insisted that's how disease started - they didn't know how food had been stored and if we got sick because we ate unapproved, un-inspected food on the economy we could get sick and bring the sickness back to our staging area and get others sick.

But on the other hand, you look at somebody who just lost his home and his grandmother and that guy is so happy to see you, how do you not take a coke and a hot dog from him?  Do you really want to be that a-hole?  Funny thing was, we were supposed to be giving food and water to THEM!  

IMHO, I've noticed that most people respect men and women in uniform and want to feel like they are giving back.  If it's a cup of coffee or a hot cup of soup.  It makes them feel good.

I see where you are coming with this. During Sandy my area took a beating...many neighbors whos homes were close to ground level lost them, and even with elevated houses, with the 6 foot + tide sweeping down the street it took many first floors. As many know we had surronding states sending "help" my area had Mississippi State police helping out with night time looting patrol. (yes even with the shit that was happening people were breaking into vacant homes stealing food, undamaged electronics and even if you were home generators.) But long story short, we had generators at my house and would often make a pot of coffee and when I would see these men I would stop them and offer them some. Most took it, and conversated for a little. Asking questions like "expierence any looting yet?' One trooper actually told me "If you hear one shut your flashlight off before approching the looter, he wont see you coming." I laughed and he goes "no I'm serious" good bunch of guys.

I don't mind hand outs like this so long they don't expect other people to pick up the tab. If you run a successful shop and want to give back by all means. But if ur struggling raising prices and giving out handouts i won't buy from there. Coffee from some of these places is rediculously priced to be giving it out for free to certain people. I specifically don't go to a bagel shop in my town for this exact reason.

when I was a new cop working the HQ district I was "required" to get coffee for the brass EVERYDAY!  I was brand new, in a busy line with four large cups of coffee.  I hated getting the "you're good" from the clerk, I felt like such a dunce!  I ended up having to buy a breakfast sandwich for myself and an orange juice to pass money, even if I wasn't hungry.   

I also found disputing it at the front of a long line with busy people waiting behind you didn't help either!  That caused me so much stress everyday, trying to slip away before the supervisor found you.  I DIDN"T EVEN DRINK COFFEE!!!!