nitrospaz9

How many friends/family that are liberals understand..

Understand what we have to go through to get our permits or FID? My girlfriend had no idea. She just thought I went and paid a fee to get my guns. After I explained the whole process she is on my side against the new laws. Well against most. We both agree there should be a mental background check. A weeks extra time to get the permits is worth a sh!t ton less argument about crazies getting there guns.

Any time I explain to someone the current redundancies with the FPID card and the handgun purchase permits, THEN the "instant" background check at the point of sale, they stare for a second and say "well, that's stupid!" 

Continue to educate as many people as possible.

Understand what we have to go through to get our permits or FID? My girlfriend had no idea. She just thought I went and paid a fee to get my guns. After I explained the whole process she is on my side against the new laws. Well against most. We both agree there should be a mental background check. A weeks extra time to get the permits is worth a sh!t ton less argument about crazies getting there guns.

Nitrospaz9, you seem to be a little misguided.  There is a background check when you get your FID card.  If anything, that information should be updated in the system database so that from then on, when an instant check (less than 20 minutes) is done, an answer should come back that the buyer is in the clear, or denied.  It should be an instant check and the information and system should be in place to do this.  There should be no additional wait time.  Also, when you get  a background check, the State is not suppose to be keeping a record of it.  With the stupid one-handgun-a-month thing, maybe the record could be kept for an entire month and then purged.  But, do you think that is happening?  Already it is defacto registration.  So, set the instant system up and don't keep any records of the transactions, include the mental health piece with the instant check and allow private sales to do instant checks when doing private sales, and get rid of OGAM and the stupid permit system, get rid of the ridiculous interstate laws and now we are talking.  Oh, and setup a fair and timely means for those denied to address it, and punish those that are attempting to abuse the system by trying to acquire guns when they know they are no longer eligible. 

Crazies, although tragic sometimes when guns are in their hands, make up a very small problem for society and guns.  Better to focus on drunk drivers if you want to save lives  Better to focus on repeat offenders than put more regulations on the moral and honest people.  Better to focus on criminals committing crimes with guns, than citizens with two many rounds in their magazines. 

NONE Of the proposed laws will keep us any safer, stop crime, or drastically hinder the mentally ill.  But, then those laws are not about that.

We both agree there should be a mental background check. A weeks extra time to get the permits is worth a sh!t ton less argument about crazies getting there guns.

It would be nice to think that by accepting "reasonable" requirements we could reach an acceptable compromise. Not gonna happen. Give and inch today and it will a mile tomorrow. I will not be satisfied until my 2A rights are not infringed. Period.

I am glad you are happy with your background checks, and you support a mental health check as well. But please keep it in jersey, don't try to force it on the rest of us.

Although I don't want to interfere with NJ business, this thread has reinforced my opinion that people in NJ should be required to pass a mental background check before they vote and before they say or post anything in public. Each and every time. Because I can tell you this. That philosophy, asking government for permission to buy a gun, and asking them to play the mental health card (like the Soviets), will kill a hell of a lot more people than might be saved by a mental health background check to buy a gun.

What you say is so true about non-gun owners being clueless as to how strong our laws already are.  I went to one of those SAFE meetings a couple of months back, mostly an anti-gun crowd.  At the end of the meeting I asked if I could take two minutes to explain the FID/P2P/Nics process.  You could see the people in the audience in total shock.  Most of them just assumed you went to Walmart with $150 in cash and walked out with a gun.  Many of them left saying that we really have things controlled fairly well already.  Its amazing how uneducated people are, which explains why we are governed by such idiots - its ignorant people voting for 20 second sound bites that sound good.

What you say is so true about non-gun owners being clueless as to how strong our laws already are.  I went to one of those SAFE meetings a couple of months back, mostly an anti-gun crowd.  At the end of the meeting I asked if I could take two minutes to explain the FID/P2P/Nics process.  You could see the people in the audience in total shock.  Most of them just assumed you went to Walmart with $150 in cash and walked out with a gun.  Many of them left saying that we really have things controlled fairly well already.  Its amazing how uneducated people are, which explains why we are governed by such idiots - its ignorant people voting for 20 second sound bites that sound good.

I agree. Education about the process is typically enough to, at the least, sedate the most anti-gun proponent. People simply don't know, yet preach that they want more. What's nice is that with the rise of the modern smart phone, I can pull up a copy of STS-033 at any time, along with most of the other forms needed for an FPID. It's pretty easy to demonstrate on the spot what the requirements are.

What meeting did you go to?

I was and spoke at the Lincroft meeting, and it was overwhelmingly gun owners, and from what I understand, so were the other hearings. ?

What meeting did you go to?

I was and spoke at the Lincroft meeting, and it was overwhelmingly gun owners, and from what I understand, so were the other hearings. ?

It was one in Morris County at the County Library.