wooly bugger

poster on what makes gun NJ illegal

I would not even waste my time discussing the topic with an anti. He/she will just say all guns should be illegal.

Bill

Thanks, Shawn!

I just "wasted" 30 minutes with an anti and convinced him of a few key points: 1) AWB is stupid. 2) Heller provides strong protection which makes a lot of his proposed laws interesting intellectual exercises but moot from a real world perspective, 3) "common use" can be defined by what the police carry, and 4) he should come shooting with me on my next range trip.

The key is finding antis who have some shred of logical capability. This one is a scientist and physician and very, very smart.

Although I appreciate the spirit, the message of those posters is disingenuous.

Everybody here knows that the NJ AWB wasn't because they were afraid of flash hiders or collapsible stocks.

They wanted to ban all firearms that were styled similar to modern military firearms. Since they couldn't name all of them, and since they couldn't predict future names, they noted in the law characteristics that were often common to them - like flash hiders and collapsible stocks.

They are not afraid of flash hiders. You guys buy pinned muzzle breaks to exploit a loophole. They didn't want you to own that gun in the first place, they just couldn't foresee every little trick we'd use to get around the law.

Although I appreciate the spirit, the message of those posters is disingenuous.

Everybody here knows that the NJ AWB wasn't because they were afraid of flash hiders or collapsible stocks.

They wanted to ban all firearms that were styled similar to modern military firearms. Since they couldn't name all of them, and since they couldn't predict future names, they noted in the law characteristics that were often common to them - like flash hiders and collapsible stocks.

They are not afraid of flash hiders. You guys buy pinned muzzle breaks to exploit a loophole. They didn't want you to own that gun in the first place, they just couldn't foresee every little trick we'd use to get around the law.

this is basically what i was trying to say...

So are they going to the range with you?

Yes, and he seems pretty excited about it. I'll take the opportunity to give him hands on education on firearms. I'm also sending him a fact sheet I put together on the obstacles to gun ownership in NJ.

He's the third person I'm taking to the range in the past 2 months. The other 2 loved it, and one is applying for FID and P2P.

Shawn, I think a really effective poster would be along the lines of what Ted Cruz showed in the senate hearing. Start with a Remington Gamemaster. Then show a series of pictures with various evil features photoshopped in. Like a pistol grip. Or a bayonet lug. Or an adjustable stock.

Awesome Wooly! I have converted several heated antis by taking them as well. It is small, but it teaches them 1. To be safe 2. We are safe 3. Knowledge is gained through safe use and understanding, not media pandering and 4. It is a great way to have some fun, make some friends and blow off some steam.

Great Job! If you can share what you are working on, I would love to see it and put it to use as well.

Thanks, Shawn!

I just "wasted" 30 minutes with an anti and convinced him of a few key points: 1) AWB is stupid. 2) Heller provides strong protection which makes a lot of his proposed laws interesting intellectual exercises but moot from a real world perspective, 3) "common use" can be defined by what the police carry, and 4) he should come shooting with me on my next range trip.

The key is finding antis who have some shred of logical capability. This one is a scientist and physician and very, very smart.

As a scientist myself, I was actually thinking earlier today that they are a good target for conversion as scientists are trained to continuously reevaluate new evidence and tend to hate rules that are internally illogical (e.g. AWB).