Clintoon Eastwood

What's with the sudden URGE from everybody buying mosin's?

I think we're being to see the tail end of the really nice Mosins unless someone finds another million stashed somewhere which is possible. 

When importation of milsurps opened up in 1986 you were able to get some really nice rifles at very affordable prices.  The nicer ones are the first to be bought up and sold.  I got an Israeli Mauser, virtually new, for $150 back then. 

I always regret not buying a new Polish M44 for $75 at Navy Arms back in the 90s.  My understanding is these were a cancelled order for some Arab nation at some time and were just put away.  7.62x54r was very hard to get at the time.  

The Russain Mosins we've been buying are actually coming out of the Ukraine. Russia itself has millions of them in arsenals (along with SVTs, Draganovs, Tokarevs, Makarovs, Nagants, etc) but is not importing them because of an agreement they signed with the US back when Clinton was president. There has been a good bit of speculation due to the fact that Russia joined the WTO recently and such agreements are invalid under WTO rules. If that's the case, there is potential for a new flood of russian guns and ammo to come in.

The Russain Mosins we've been buying are actually coming out of the Ukraine. Russia itself has millions of them in arsenals (along with SVTs, Draganovs, Tokarevs, Makarovs, Nagants, etc) but is not importing them because of an agreement they signed with the US back when Clinton was president. There has been a good bit of speculation due to the fact that Russia joined the WTO recently and such agreements are invalid under WTO rules. If that's the case, there is potential for a new flood of russian guns and ammo to come in.

importing anything except a "sporting arm" is illegal. i believe i read that the mosin is one of the few russian arms that is legal to import. which means those SVTs, draganovs, and everything else you listed would still be illegal to import. if it wasn't we would be flooded with $300 SVTs from canada.

The one thing that drives me nuts is people assume since the regular refurb mosin is cheap that all Mosins are cheap and lack collectability.  Here are a few of my Tikkas....

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

Top is a Tikka M39, next below that is aM91,  below that is a Tikka M27, then a 1943 round receiver Tikka(only 750 were made in 43 with a round receiver).  There are a bunch more in the Tikka herd, but this is just a pic I had handy. 

I'm a little late to the thread, but look at the pics.  It's obvious.  Some of you have some seriously nice rifles.

Yeah, I'm just about at the back end of missing out.  I don't have one.  A sub-$100 rifle that is milsurp and shoots .30-06 class ammo for less than $0.20 per round, yeah, that doesn't hurt.

Not to mention, this is the last of it.  There is no more military surplus in the US.  7.62x25 is gone forever, and 5.45 and Mosin ammo will be gone forever by the end of the decade.

This is actually a last, cheasy taste of the golden years of surplus firearms and ammo that is gone forever.  Get your Mosin.  At least then you can tell your children you were in the game at the tailend of the end of surplus.