Clintoon Eastwood

What's with the sudden URGE from everybody buying mosin's?

I've noticed that within the last 2 months, a whole lot of people are buying mosins. The forums marketplace has atleast 3-5 WTT or WTS ads that is mosin related.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, I'm actually glad people are buying mosins. It's a fun rifle and also painful at the same time.

I honestly believe that people are buying mosins not only because its very affordable (some are) also because the availabity of surplus ammo still can be found at a cheap price. I noticed at my FFL's they had a few mosins waiting to be picked up. I even saw a whole crate being split up. It's a beautiful sight to see these mosins getting cleaned up de-cosmolined and fired at the range.

Here is mine!

post-4964-0-68319600-1369262210_thumb.jpg

You answered your own question. When people can't afford to shoot their .22s without taking a second mortgage, they seek out cheaper alternatives. Simple as that.

It's all my fault. I recently bought a Russian M44. I hate the way it shoots, but I love its ruggedness and appearance.

So now, in quest of a decent shootin Mosin, I've bought a 91/30 and a Finn M39, as well as an accurizing kit (has anyone tried this?)

I'm not sure why I'm so entranced by an inherently inaccurate rifle. It might be the combination of deep history and cheap ammo packed in cool spam cans. As we all go into hoarding mode, I figure a bunch of those cans will last forever, won't break the bank, and most importantly, will look really bad ass stacked in my basement in their Cyrillic printed crates.

The other thing is, I'm out of good investment ideas (see my recent thread on gold.) I figure there's not much room for them to go down in value, so at worst they're a decent hedge against a dollar that's being printed like there's no tomorrow. At best, if recent history on surplus rifle value is any indication, they might provide a reasonable ROI. And a lot more fun to fondle than a brokerage statement.

You answered your own question. When people can't afford to shoot their .22s without taking a second mortgage, they seek out cheaper alternatives. Simple as that.

I know I did, but I also see that some people maybe didn't know how much recoil this think PACKS! That's why you see them on the marketplace right after they purchase one?

It's the only thing left

Very true

I have one got it and still have yet to shoot it. I cant wait.

What are you waiting for! Go! Go! Go! Then tell me how your shoulder feels after 60-100 rounds

:)

I know I did, but I also see that some people maybe didn't know how much recoil this think PACKS! That's why you see them on the marketplace right after they purchase one?

Very true

What are you waiting for! Go! Go! Go! Then tell me how your shoulder feels after 60-100 rounds

:)

I'm calling y'all out on this....maybe it's because I have the Finnish M91 with the full length barrel.....but I'm fairly recoil shy and this thing didn't phase me a bit. 

My 7mm-08 now.....I can only comfortably tolerate about 20-30 rounds out of it before I start to get a headache.

But...I must admit...I've only put about 20 rounds a session out of my Mosin so far. But in general, it doesn't have nearly the wallop my 08 does.

I'm calling y'all out on this....maybe it's because I have the Finnish M91 with the full length barrel.....but I'm fairly recoil shy and this thing didn't phase me a bit. 

My 7mm-08 now.....I can only comfortably tolerate about 20-30 rounds out of it before I start to get a headache.

But...I must admit...I've only put about 20 rounds a session out of my Mosin so far. But in general, it doesn't have nearly the wallop my 08 does.

I'll shoot my Nagant's all day long.  My '03 Springfield, not so much.  

Hahaha, I know! I did that on purpose so you people won't know what maker it is...... Or how rare it is...

But for some reason, I think YOU "junkmanted" already know what it is.

Notice the bent bolt, some mosin "FAIRY" handed it to me for free!

First there was the AR Bubble, then when those were out, people moved onto handguns, then onto ammo.

Although I will say, since the beginning of the forum, you can clearly see waves of phases... we had AR phase, then Remington 700 bolt action phase, etc.

It just may be time for the mosins again.

I need a m38 and a finn m39

i highly doubt you need them. but from the rate you buy guns if i had the income you do i would buy them anyway too.

but seriously i have no need for a mosin. im buying a svt in the near future so ive got the 7.62x54r covered...

History buffs I assume.  ;)   Got one and I was instantly afflicted with the disease of needing more.  Now I can only dream of lining the walls of the mancave with dozens of mosins. Last night I finished cleaning up one of my Chinese T-53 beaters, gonna shoot it tonight if I can find the time. 

I bought my first one for $29 years ago and when i found with some minor tweaks they can be extremely accurate... then the addiction started. But now i focus on Finns, Tikkas especially, since they are rarer the hunt takes longer.