Teky0101

Range/HD Shotgun

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a Maverick 88 shotgun and now I am looking to accessorize it. What are some of the most important accessories for a HD shotgun? I am thinking a fiber optic, flashlight and shell holder. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am on very cheap budget so maybe 40-55 dollars max worth of accessories. The items below are what I am currently looking to purchasing but I am not 100% on it. I am also in need of a good flashlight mount any suggestions would be appreciated!

Light

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Defender-Handheld-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B001WJ5EMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369462998&sr=8-2&keywords=shotgun+flashlight

Fiber

http://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Defense-Fiber-Optic-12-20Ga/dp/B003DWM6V8/ref=sr_1_17?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1369462723&sr=1-17&keywords=maverick+88+accessories

Shell Holder

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMZXQI/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

if you get into a gun fight in your home.. with a shotgun.. will the items you are considering purchasing be items you are willing to risk your life on? will that light even hold up to the recoil of a shotgun? are you going to use a sling on the weapon in case you have to take a hand off to do something.. I personally have run good quality pressure switch activated lights on my AR.. and while they work OK I find a traditional button more reliable.. less to break.. less to go wrong.. the only remote switch I would consider would be the surefire light integrated units.. where they are built right into the pump but they are beyond your budget.. I have a Surefire LED light on my Saiga 12 and it has held up so far.. the problem with it on a pump is cleanly turning it off and on (the light)

I would not use a shotgun for home defense.. but if I were going to.. I would want a light.. and a sling.. and maybe a shell holder.. that is what would personally be important to me.. 

I really hope you seriously consider the over penetration capacity that a shotgun can have... 

I agree with you Vladtepes! Shotguns for the most part are very dangerous to use for HD. However, I have seen a few shows on shotguns and they demonstrated that using birdshot is by far one of the safest shots to use even over pistols when it comes to over penetration. I never want to use any gun in protection but I rather keep myself and my family safe. If I could get out and away from danger I certainly would try to. I am mostly going to use the gun just as a fun range slug and buckshot gun. Thank you for your insight! 

This is a very subjective topic, shotgun accessories. Some people prefer to dress their shotgun up like a doll, others prefer a KISS (keep it simple) method. I fall in between and will expand on my opinion keeping it short and sweet.

First off, good choice for a shotgun as HD.

Now as most of us know, if something were to happen it would most likely be at night. At night it's dark, and a shotgun is not a pistol where (with proper training) you can work a pistol and handheld light at once. A shotgun must have a light attached to it. With this said, I can't imagine anyone that has a HD gun and it not have any sort of light on it. How are you going to identify the target? How are you going to see that monster truck toy that got placed perfectly in the middle of the hallway that your kid left there? And the list goes on. 

You need a light and IMO, there are no if's and's or butt's. Now that is not a $40 light with some airsoft shotgun mount, you're going to have to pay the price for a life-worthy light. I'd look at Surefire flashlights, or the best gun light IMO is the TLR's by Streamlight. Easy to work, it doesn't have a million modes you have to go through to get to just a simple bright light, BUT it does have a couple very simple modes that are easy to work and work well. That TLR-1 is going to cost you about $110, and it is worth every penny.

I have a Maverick 88, so I'm guessing you got either the 6 or 8 shot. I go back and forth on sidesaddles, I like that you can have extra shells on you but other times I rip it off cause it frustrates me. Not sure why, but sometimes it's on there and sometimes not. I will say I have been looking at buying the velcro sidesaddle. I like that you can rip it off and slap another one on for 6 more shells. I also like that it's attached via velcro and not with a pin into your receiver. With all this said, I wouldn't get an airsoft-type sidesaddle but make sure to get a real sidesaddle..a ton of manufacturers make them.

IMO, with a light on your shotgun, sights aren't that hard to identify. I have a gold bead on my barrel that I love. Hi-viz/night sights are nice but for me, I shoot so much with my shotguns that I am so used to the bead. That's more personal preference.

If you remember one thing from my post, DO NOT cheap out on firearm parts. If you have a low price range to work with, then save up more money and get higher quality parts/accessories...especially the light. A cheap UTG flashlight may work at the range for a couple times, but it just doesn't have the reliability, lighting power, and high quality that Surefure/Streamlight lights have.

This is a very subjective topic, shotgun accessories. Some people prefer to dress their shotgun up like a doll, others prefer a KISS (keep it simple) method. I fall in between and will expand on my opinion keeping it short and sweet.

First off, good choice for a shotgun as HD.

Now as most of us know, if something were to happen it would most likely be at night. At night it's dark, and a shotgun is not a pistol where (with proper training) you can work a pistol and handheld light at once. A shotgun must have a light attached to it. With this said, I can't imagine anyone that has a HD gun and it not have any sort of light on it. How are you going to identify the target? How are you going to see that monster truck toy that got placed perfectly in the middle of the hallway that your kid left there? And the list goes on. 

You need a light and IMO, there are no if's and's or butt's. Now that is not a $40 light with some airsoft shotgun mount, you're going to have to pay the price for a life-worthy light. I'd look at Surefire flashlights, or the best gun light IMO is the TLR's by Streamlight. Easy to work, it doesn't have a million modes you have to go through to get to just a simple bright light, BUT it does have a couple very simple modes that are easy to work and work well. That TLR-1 is going to cost you about $110, and it is worth every penny.

I have a Maverick 88, so I'm guessing you got either the 6 or 8 shot. I go back and forth on sidesaddles, I like that you can have extra shells on you but other times I rip it off cause it frustrates me. Not sure why, but sometimes it's on there and sometimes not. I will say I have been looking at buying the velcro sidesaddle. I like that you can rip it off and slap another one on for 6 more shells. I also like that it's attached via velcro and not with a pin into your receiver. With all this said, I wouldn't get an airsoft-type sidesaddle but make sure to get a real sidesaddle..a ton of manufacturers make them.

IMO, with a light on your shotgun, sights aren't that hard to identify. I have a gold bead on my barrel that I love. Hi-viz/night sights are nice but for me, I shoot so much with my shotguns that I am so used to the bead. That's more personal preference.

If you remember one thing from my post, DO NOT cheap out on firearm parts. If you have a low price range to work with, then save up more money and get higher quality parts/accessories...especially the light. A cheap UTG flashlight may work at the range for a couple times, but it just doesn't have the reliability, lighting power, and high quality that Surefure/Streamlight lights have.

Good posts...How about a light-laser combo...I am not a big laser fan (except for HD) - no need to bring a sight 9or red-dot) for that matter to eye level....What are your thoughts on SG w/laser - any recomendation for a model? (looking for one for my SG now).

Thank you everyone for your input! Do you think this light would work well for a tactical light?

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88850-Polytac-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B001S0IN46/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1369602384&sr=8-18&keywords=surefire

I have no idea.. but how you will mount it and work it is IMO the ultimate challenge... I think a tailcap push button is the most reliable setup.. less parts to break... but what are you mounting it to? the mount and light both have to be rock solid or it will not stand up to the 12 gauge.. 

this is my 12 gauge light setup...

Surefire G2

Surefire LED head

Arsenal rail (metal)

Gear sector light mount (metal)

I have the light positioned in a way that I can easily operate it with my support hand and it is high and out of the way... 

this is an old picture when I have a different mount (also metal) but you can get an idea of why I am being so critical.. 

you really need this thing to be solid... because if it fails when you need it.. it could be the worst.. 

saiga12finalvlad2.jpg

Not to add to the "buckshot vs birdshot" debate, but as Vlad said, I don't trust birdshot for HD situations. Just my opinion.

That Streamlight Polytac flashlight is nice. On other forums I've seen people mount it to rifles and they've had good things to say about it. It's a bright light in a small package. I have one but it is not for defense, just sits in the kitchen in case power goes out.

Also, I agree with Vlad when he says that you need a good mount. Stay away from plastic. Metal is the way to go. It's solid and isn't going to budge, and it will clamp down on the flashlight well. 

If you do go with a flashlight, I would highly suggest one with a clicky tail cap that you press lightly for momentary on, and click in for constant on. I don't like flashlights that you have to click the tailcap lightly for momentary and then turn the tailcap completely for constant, that's just too much crap to remember in a stressful situation (most Surefire flashlights are like that I believe). That's fine for a car flashlight or around the house, but for defense situations it's just too much. But there are some with click tail caps as I described in the first sentence of this paragraph (the polytac is).

Not to add to the "buckshot vs birdshot" debate, but as Vlad said, I don't trust birdshot for HD situations. Just my opinion.

That Streamlight Polytac flashlight is nice. On other forums I've seen people mount it to rifles and they've had good things to say about it. It's a bright light in a small package. I have one but it is not for defense, just sits in the kitchen in case power goes out.

Also, I agree with Vlad when he says that you need a good mount. Stay away from plastic. Metal is the way to go. It's solid and isn't going to budge, and it will clamp down on the flashlight well. 

If you do go with a flashlight, I would highly suggest one with a clicky tail cap that you press lightly for momentary on, and click in for constant on. I don't like flashlights that you have to click the tailcap lightly for momentary and then turn the tailcap completely for constant, that's just too much crap to remember in a stressful situation (most Surefire flashlights are like that I believe). That's fine for a car flashlight or around the house, but for defense situations it's just too much. But there are some with click tail caps as I described in the first sentence of this paragraph (the polytac is).

when shooting in low light with my guns I am never walking around with the light lit... I am using it to spot targets.. having to have to hold in the light makes for a situation where I can not forget to turn it off... there may be other schools of thought on this where you want to walk around with the light fully lit? but to me that screams target... I prefer to just activate it when needed.. 

just to add.. you can definitely get clicky tail caps for the Surefires.. 

when shooting in low light with my guns I am never walking around with the light lit... I am using it to spot targets.. having to have to hold in the light makes for a situation where I can not forget to turn it off... there may be other schools of thought on this where you want to walk around with the light fully lit? but to me that screams target... I prefer to just activate it when needed.. 

just to add.. you can definitely get clicky tail caps for the Surefires.. 

Yeah I agree fully in terms of momentary on to spot targets or something that may be in the way. For most Hd situations, that's all you are using it for. Other situations for constant on could be if you have a quick-detach flashlight mount, you could double your gun light as a multi-purpose flashlight off the gun.

I was just saying the flashlights that you have to turn the tail cap for constant on is a design I don't really like.

The problem I see with momentary light switches is what do you do after you find someone that isn't a shoot situation or assess after a post shoot? How do you use your phone, remove a threat's weapon, check vitals, open or close a door, carry a child, hold back your dog, or do anything with your support hand and still keep your light on so you can maintain situational awareness on your threat?

A clicky gives you momentary light and the ability to make it constant on when necessary.

As far as manipulating the light on and off while searching, my SOP is one the light is on it stays on. My element of surprise is blown, so now I need to rely on speed and violence of action. I would rather have every opportunity to see them first. This is not a absolute, but a "more often than not". The situation and the environment will dictate. With regards to being a target with the light on, what are you if the HD situation happens in the day time or the house lights are on?

With regards to being a target with the light on, what are you if the HD situation happens in the day time or the house lights are on?

if the lights are on.. or it is the day.. then obviously everyone can see... 

when you are working out of your house from the inside you have no idea how many people are even in there... my job is not to give aid to the intruder.. so for me.. I am not overly concerned with things like checking vitals.. I am shooting till it stops.. then moving on... if there are other intruders... they dont know how those shots went down.. I feel like if I exit the room waving around a lit weapon light there is a good chance they are going to know it is not the person they came in with.. 

that is the thought process.. 

and just to add.. I dont exactly live in a cave.. and for the most part I leave some of my interior lights on 24/7.. and I have a garage... so to the outside world it would be very difficult to assume I am home or not home.. awake or asleep.. but because of that.. I may not even really need to utilize a weapon light.. there is a lot of general light even in the darkest part of the house.. 

and just to add.. I dont exactly live in a cave.. and for the most part I leave some of my interior lights on 24/7.. and I have a garage... so to the outside world it would be very difficult to assume I am home or not home.. awake or asleep.. but because of that.. I may not even really need to utilize a weapon light.. there is a lot of general light even in the darkest part of the house.. 

i am the same.  i have a light that stays on when i go to bed until the time i wake up.  not a huge light, but a 40w lamp at the top of my stairs that gives enough ambient light to see in most places in the house (at least to see outlines or shapes).  also have timed lights in living room that are on in the evening/night until around midnight but that 40w light stays on all night long.