JoeTK37

Local Parts

Any recomendations for shops to purchase parts(all of them actually) in North Jersey. Thinking about building up my own AR from scratch but the shops I've poked around in locally are getting a bit of a premium compared to most of the online prices I've seen. I want to build it because I love to tinker and want to know how it works. I'm not looking to build anything crazy and want to keep the price down. Thanks

OK, I just checked out PSA.  They have two complete kits available now.  One is 16" and one is 18".  I'm looking for something that would make a decently accurate 100-200yd(maybe 300?) rifle.  So this kit stands out to me http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/ar-15-parts-sale/psa-18-hammer-forged-sqr-sportsman-rifle-kit.html

Any thoughts or opinions would be great.  Otherwise all I need to do is add an optic and stripped lower and I believe I'm good to go.  

I personally would go with 16" you gonna easily get those ranges with either. Since your looking for a kit go with that but if not, shop around and find a14.5 upper with a nj compliant muzzle break/compensator.

$1K for a 200 yard tack driver by the piece is tough.  Better to break it into groups if you can.  Lower, LPK w/ stock option, then upper, maybe have to change MB, and add iron sights.  Supply is still not up to pick and choose levels yet.  PSA has some great offerings, BCM has been showing up with bare uppers, but start adding in a BCG, part here or there and your budget is going to go up.

Last two builds I did were PSA Lowers, PSA LPK w/ Magpul Stock option, and a PSA upper with changes to MB, Handguard and MB, added Magpul MBUS, cost under $1100.

You cant go wrong with PSA parts. You can also order individual parts from BCM and perhaps even Spikes Tactical. Every time I've asked for and found individual AR parts from local shops, they wanted a couple of dollars for parts I knew cost a few cents.