Tallday

My brother just put in for a permit! WTF!

5-8 weeks???? Try 4-6 MONTHS here in Berkeley Twp. for P2P.

-Scott

Holy Crap - 4-6 months?

If it were me, I would send an e-mail to Chief   Karin DiMichele  [email protected]

and ask her why it takes so long?

Here in Lacey Twp, we get them in around 6-9 weeks; and I have to say i get so many

that mine get turned around closer to the 6 week mark.

I don't know where this comes from, but you are the second person within the last week who has stated this misinformation. The Mental Health check (form SP-066) does not cost you anything. The $18 is for the non-criminal background check (yellow form SBI-212A) and is done by most PD's in lieu of fingerprints, once you have been printed initially. It is not required by statute, but is well within the legal purview of the PD since they are tasked with performing a background check. Some PD's may not do this every time and some may not have used it at all. But I think all LE is in a CYA mode when it comes to firearms these days. Take heart, the CLEO of your local PD could require you to get fingerprinted every time and still not be outside the law. Not new - the PD's that I have dealt with over the last 30 years or so have all required it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

When I ask the PD what the $18 fee was for....they said "To pay the county to run the mental health records.  You can get a money order and make payable to SBI"

I said "OK".

Holy Crap - 4-6 months?

If it were me, I would send an e-mail to Chief   Karin DiMichele  [email protected]

and ask her why it takes so long?

Here in Lacey Twp, we get them in around 6-9 weeks; and I have to say i get so many

that mine get turned around closer to the 6 week mark.

Already have and I get the blanket statement that due to the influx of applications and the lack of man power it is taking longer time to turn them around.  They have also blamed the State Police before n said they were waiting on them. When I called the State Police they informed me my paperwork was back to Berkeley Twp. PD weeks prior .  When the State Police called Berkeley Twp they convinently lost one of my references so they had to mail out the form again. My references dont get the form mailed to them till 3mths after I apply usually.  This town is terrible for permits.

-Scott

$1.69 for money orders at quick check.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

$1.69?  Craziness.  All of the QuickCheks around Woodbridge charge .99 cents for money orders.  And there's one right next to the police station, which makes life easy.

Also, I put in for a NICS check on Monday, June 3rd.  I'll post if it clears soon.

Already have and I get the blanket statement that due to the influx of applications and the lack of man power it is taking longer time to turn them around. They have also blamed the State Police before n said they were waiting on them. When I called the State Police they informed me my paperwork was back to Berkeley Twp. PD weeks prior . When the State Police called Berkeley Twp they convinently lost one of my references so they had to mail out the form again. My references dont get the form mailed to them till 3mths after I apply usually. This town is terrible for permits.

-Scott

Just went through this for somebody. Two months for me to get reference letter. Wow

So I see the problem is the inconsistency from local PD and doing extra in order to CYA or extend the time. Also NJSP is backed up. I thought that laws were in place to prevent local PD from taking to long and that there was a maximum turnaround time to get things done for you?

So I see the problem is the inconsistency from local PD and doing extra in order to CYA or extend the time. Also NJSP is backed up. I thought that laws were in place to prevent local PD from taking to long and that there was a maximum turnaround time to get things done for you?

You are getting caught up in the details and well, your info is second hand.

So who really knows.

Typically, if it was more than 6 months to a year since last time you got your permits, they will ask you to pay the $18.

Yes, there is a law for 30 days to get fid, but every town is different. If they told you 3 to 4 weeks... That is a good number.

There are a lot of fluid things, but things are quick at state police now. Nics backlog is coming back down very rapidly too.

The big hang up for many people will be references, and having them return the forms quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My above post was referencing Berkeley Twp.

It's pretty bad when you can order a car to be built at the same time and get it before the pistol permits.

Its very sad Bryan....when I go in to get my permits renewed I turn in new permit packets. The old lady asks why I need so many guns almost everytime and everytime I reply not only is it my given right to own as many guns as I want but YOUR office takes so long to issue permits I have to plan months in advance. 

-Scott