Tallday

My brother just put in for a permit! WTF!

So I have not bought a pistol in like a year and haven't been dealing with the BS to get another. My brother decided to get a .22 to add to his collection and went to the PD in his town and this was his email to me after!! I cant believe the crap you need to do lately just to get a pistol permit.. 

"So I decided to get a .22 pistol… what I discovered this morning when I went to submit the already onerous paperwork to the PD is that they have added yet one more hurdle to getting a pistol purchase permit (this recent step was supposedly added in March). This time they added what they are calling a  “Name Verification” – this process runs your name through yet another database to verify you are who you say you are and that you haven’t done anything bad recently – why this is a separate step from the other umpteen background checks wasn’t explained to me… and not that the 5 prior verification steps weren't enough, or the NICs check completed when you actually pick up the pistol is supposed to be real time info --- BUT WAIT that’s not even the rub. This additional check cost me $18 in a Money Order (+ $5 fee from my bank to do a money order – cash not accepted) made out to the state police…. AND, wait for it…. they are backed up and it will take at least 4-6 weeks in addition to the 1-2 weeks the local PD takes to issue the permit. Add to that the 18-24 days that the instant NICS check is now taking and that adds up to almost 3 months of red tape.."

NJ IS THE WORST!!!! Cant the NJSP just let the FED system work and go spend time doing something besides delaying my rights!!

uh, NICS checks are down to 6 days and still dropping....

Not saying its acceptable, but its a far cry from the 3+ weeks it was just a little while ago

6 days not bad I will let him know! Like I said I have not bought a pistol in a long time and buy mostly from people here or drive to PA..

The $18 fee is for the mental health check.  I believe that they have been charging that for maybe the last 2-4 years?

Get a US Postal Money Order...a bit cheaper.

I remember the mental health check but dont remember paying extra for it. The PD says it started in march. I will ask him later.

Not all NICS are down to six days. Mine went in May 22, no gun yet.

If you are more than 7 days (not including Sunday - then you need to have your 

FFL call and verify they actually rcvd. the NICS check in the first place.

As of Tuesday - NICS was at 7 days and the times are coming down

Does it happen to be a pistol? I noticed for my self NICS for pistols are taking a little longer, just speaking from my experience.

NICS checks do not take any longer for HG's than the LG's

Many times the additional delays could (And I say this w/o pointing any fingers) be on the FFL dealer

due to volume of business, and getting replies sorted out and getting back to customers..............

Many times the additional delays could (And I say this w/o pointing any fingers) be on the FFL dealer

due to volume of business, and getting replies sorted out and getting back to customers..............

This is 100% true. Where I work we have been contacting NJSP if we receive approvals for checks sent after checks we are still waiting on.

I dont believe the type of firearm is even listed on the NICS check.... 

Can an FFL confirm that......

When a NICS check is sent in (old days when called in - today Faxed in) we have to

note weather it is a HG, LG or BOTH - according to NICS this is strictly for statistical

record keeping.

i assure you there is no delay in the process for a HG over a LG - the check is for the 

person, not the gun...........

The $18 fee is for the mental health check.  I believe that they have been charging that for maybe the last 2-4 years?

Get a US Postal Money Order...a bit cheaper.

I don't know where this comes from, but you are the second person within the last week who has stated this misinformation. The Mental Health check (form SP-066) does not cost you anything. The $18 is for the non-criminal background check (yellow form SBI-212A) and is done by most PD's in lieu of fingerprints, once you have been printed initially. It is not required by statute, but is well within the legal purview of the PD since they are tasked with performing a background check. Some PD's may not do this every time and some may not have used it at all. But I think all LE is in a CYA mode when it comes to firearms these days. Take heart, the CLEO of your local PD could require you to get fingerprinted every time and still not be outside the law. Not new - the PD's that I have dealt with over the last 30 years or so have all required it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As for the OP - the $18.00 fee (Money Order) is for the NJ State police to do the initial backround check

and has been in place for years - nothing new there.

4-6 weeks for HG permit is about average in the best of times. Before Newtown, many municipalities were

taking that long or even longer - seems to be more prevalent in North jersey for some reason. 

Remember that first the letters need to be mailed to your two references, and they need to get them back

to the PD. Then the the Mental Health & NJSP checks are initiated and then once everything comes back,

the permits are typed and usually sit on the captain or chief's desk for a week waiting to be signed.

I personally know of people in North Jersey who have waited 2-3 months for permits, so try to be optimistic

about 4-6 weeks........................

I don't know where this comes from, but you are the second person within the last week who has stated this misinformation. The Mental Health check (form SP-066) does not cost you anything. The $18 is for the non-criminal background check (yellow form SBI-212A) and is done by most PD's in lieu of fingerprints, once you have been printed initially. It is not required by statute, but is well within the legal purview of the PD since they are tasked with performing a background check. Some PD's may not do this every time and some may not have used it at all. But I think all LE is in a CYA mode when it comes to firearms these days. Take heart, the CLEO of your local PD could require you to get fingerprinted every time and still not be outside the law. Not new - the PD's that I have dealt with over the last 30 years or so have all required it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob! I am ok with the CYA aspect of it. I will let him know what  the fee was for since he was never asked to pay it in the past.

I dont believe the type of firearm is even listed on the NICS check.... 

Can an FFL confirm that......

I guess it only applies to me :(

This sucks, I almost made it to 90 days with 3 permits but just missed it. 61st day today and won't be able to make the 90 days expiration time. I really thought it was possible thanks NICS

As for the OP - the $18.00 fee (Money Order) is for the NJ State police to do the initial backround check

and has been in place for years - nothing new there.

4-6 weeks for HG permit is about average in the best of times. Before Newtown, many municipalities were

taking that long or even longer - seems to be more prevalent in North jersey for some reason. 

Remember that first the letters need to be mailed to your two references, and they need to get them back

to the PD. Then the the Mental Health & NJSP checks are initiated and then once everything comes back,

the permits are typed and usually sit on the captain or chief's desk for a week waiting to be signed.

I personally know of people in North Jersey who have waited 2-3 months for permits, so try to be optimistic

about 4-6 weeks........................

In Jersey City my PD only sent the letters for the my FID card not for the 7 or so Pistols I have purchased up to last year. Its new to me that they send out letters every time to get another permit. Must all depend on the PD I guess.

I guess it only applies to me :(

This sucks, I almost made it to 90 days with 3 permits but just missed it. 61st day today and won't be able to make the 90 days expiration time. I really thought it was possible thanks NICS

How long will it take for your PD to extend it?

Last pistol permit I got in JC took me a week and that was only because they close one day a week. that was last year times have changed!! 5-8 weeks just to get the permit in hand is out of control..

5-8 weeks???? Try 4-6 MONTHS here in Berkeley Twp. for P2P.

-Scott