Bagarocks

Reloading 223 with Hornady V Max 50 gns

using Lee dies Full sizing with the dead length bullet seating die on a 4 hole Lee Turret Press.

I set up the bullet seating die according to Lee spec.

Used Hornady and Lee 2nd edition reloading books for recipe data. Both books called for a

COL of 2.210

Upon seating the bullet I can only get it to seat at COL 2.238. I tried to readjust the Die to no avail. So I pulled out my RCBS Small base die set bullet seating Die. And I got the same results.

Has anyone else run into anything like this before? Is the polymer nose of the bullet somehow giving and compressing somehow?

Ya have any thougths on my little problem

Bag what is the exact problem loading .223 on a turret is not a biggy skip the lee instructions and watch a YouTube vid on it. For starters back the sestet stem all the way out and the die just a few turns in set your bullet up make this one a dummy round and turn it down till it touches turn out couple more times then go up and turn the seating stem down and bump it until you have your overall length; if you have any more problems you can pm me but be more specific I guarantee its user error you'll get it.

Knowledgebase http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List

V-MAX Bullets Need Custom Bullet Seating Plug

Posted by Andy @ Lee Precision on 10 January 2012 11:57 AM

The bullet seating plug in the bullet seating and crimp die is generic and designed to seat a wide variety of bullet types. It is a very low drag bullet and has very steep sides. These steep sides allow a large portion of the bullet to slide into the bullet seating plug before the plug makes contact with the bullet ogive. This causes the bullet seating plug adjustment to bottom out before the bullet can be seated to achieve the cartridge overall length you are loading to.

A remedy for this is to order a custom bullet seating plug for $8.00 + shipping. Order the plug online at: http://leeprecision.com/custom-bullet-seating-plug.html

Send the sample bullet you want the plug made for, along with a copy of your invoice, and we will make the plug for you.

Lee Precision

4275 Highway U

Hartford, WI 53027

I have dies in Lee, Hornady, and RCBS that I use to load .223.   I can say without a doubt that the lee seating die sucks.  I have not had a problem seating any bullet with the hornady and RCBS dies.  I do like the Lee FL sizing die though, not brand trashing here.

Ken

Socom thanx fer yer info, I haven't had any problems until I started loading these V max bullets.

RAz Im trimming to 1.750 using a WFT The 2.238 is no problem for cycling rounds through my rifle.

TBill thanx for the info, I figured I'd check here before I scrounged around, Theres just great info here on this board as proven by your response.

NJKen I have The RCBS small base die set series A. I used that bullet seater to no avail

I have dies in Lee, Hornady, and RCBS that I use to load .223. I can say without a doubt that the lee seating die sucks. I have not had a problem seating any bullet with the hornady and RCBS dies. I do like the Lee FL sizing die though, not brand trashing here.

Ken

I agree on the lee in .223. Mine had to have a burr taken off the seating plug. The seating plug also wouldn't center. I had to modify it so it was centered and wouldn't mar the bullet. After that it was ok.

I use a redding match seating die now

Socom thanx fer yer info, I haven't had any problems until I started loading these V max bullets.

RAz Im trimming to 1.750 using a WFT The 2.238 is no problem for cycling rounds through my rifle.

TBill thanx for the info, I figured I'd check here before I scrounged around, Theres just great info here on this board as proven by your response.

NJKen I have The RCBS small base die set series A. I used that bullet seater to no avail

That is really odd.  I have loaded hundreds if not thousands with mainly the RCBS dies.  I know it was getting close to bottomed out but there was still a little thread left on the seater. 

Not to be a dick but are you sure the die is set up rite?  Did you run it in til the brass just touched the crimp section of the die?  I always set mine this way.  With a shell in the press in the up position I will run the die in until I feel it contact the mouth of the case.  I then back it out 1/4 turn and lock it down.  I can get a COL of 2.20 this way. 

At least the 2.23 you are geting should be just fine.  Its just odd that you cant get that last little bit.

Ken

That is really odd. I have loaded hundreds if not thousands with mainly the RCBS dies. I know it was getting close to bottomed out but there was still a little thread left on the seater.

Not to be a dick but are you sure the die is set up rite? Did you run it in til the brass just touched the crimp section of the die? I always set mine this way. With a shell in the press in the up position I will run the die in until I feel it contact the mouth of the case. I then back it out 1/4 turn and lock it down. I can get a COL of 2.20 this way.

At least the 2.23 you are geting should be just fine. Its just odd that you cant get that last little bit.

Ken

Have you seated Vmax bullets to 2.20? That bullet has very steep sides and requires an adapter plug to achieve proper seating depth. I know it's an absolute must for Lee dies, I would assume that others would also be the same.

Have you seated Vmax bullets to 2.20? That bullet has very steep sides and requires an adapter plug to achieve proper seating depth. I know it's an absolute must for Lee dies, I would assume that others would also be the same.

The RCBS die set I have (standard, not SB or TC set) will do it with about 1/16" of thread left on the seater stem. The lee will not.  I have to be particular about the setup of the die but it can be done.

That is with 50gn bullets, both V-max and Z-max.  I have not tried anything lighter than that.

Ken