checko

Chest rigs

I guess my concern is that it just seems, for lack of a better term, weird to only keep 45-60 rounds on my chest.

Now I could run 2 single stack triples, throw an admin pouch on top to keep it flatter, and still maintain the same utility.

Now you got me thinking! I knew I liked you guys for a reason. :D

Keep in mind not to block your pistol draw in your strong side.

I get that it is weird with the reduced capacity mags. My rig is run for work related stuff and I get to carry standard capacity mags. This is definitely a consideration when setting your gear up. That's why the 10 speeds are so great - you can add those extra mags, but the rig is still slim when the pouches are empty.

Keep in mind not to block your pistol draw in your strong side.

This is important. I keep my strong side from 2:00 to 4:00 slick so nothing interferes with my draw.

I'm going to make it a goal that the rig doesn't exceed a two mag thickness at any point. Hopefully BFG's helium whisper attachments will mitigate the bulk a teeny bit.

I'll bite the bullet on some Mayflower mag pouches and see how I like it. Worst case scenario: I'm out a bit of cash, learned something new, and have some spare pouches laying around.

It will be a dedicated training/competition rig. It will mimic my work rig as close as I can (all emergency reload pouches will be in the same place, as will any universal equipment that is crossloaded to both rigs) but the new setup will have some provisions that are comp/training focused vs. work related.

As it stands now, I have 3 work rigs:

PC for SWAT - MSA SOHPC - I use this the most. All classes, training, and jobs are currently done in this. I really want to get another PC for training/competitions as it is getting beat up a bit.

Heavy Armor Vest for SWAT - Paraclete RBAV - issued by the county. Is a great vest but I got really used to the lightweight and mobility of the PC and hate wearing it. I keep it setup and ready to go in case they mandate we wear it or we have certain jobs that require it (it has some specialty CBRNE gear on it)

PC for Patrol - Protech Playe Rack - This thing is cool, ultra light rig for plates only. Has 3 rifle mags and 4 shotgun shell up front and a smoke grenade and MedKit on the back. Rides in the car and comes out with the rifle. Has a cool setup for throwing it on super fast, and is setup for plates only, no backers, so you run it over the armor you already have on. The carrier rides high as we.l so it doesn't interfere with your duty belt and has minimal surface area on the sides.) http://www.copquest.com/89-1100_protech-tactical-plate-rack-carrier-tac-pr-plate.htm

Some differences will be different pouches, some differences will just be different contents in the pouches.

Notebook, timer, more mags (limited to 10 rounds in some comps), extra IFAK (my team mates have their own, in training/comps I am usually the only one with an IFAK), sustainment gear, spare parts.

For example, by work 1st line has (Clockwise starting at the buckle) 3 G22 mags (Eagle FB), 1 M4 mag (Safariland pouch modded to UBL), dump pouch (CSM), IFAK (ATS), Multitool (TT with Gerber), holster with bang pouch on high ride leg shroud (Safariland ALS), small utility pouch (Maxpedition).

Comp/Training first line has a double G22 pouch (Eagle FB), 2 /pistol mag pouches (HSGI Taco) 2 M4 pouches (HSGI Taco), dump pouch (Crye) med pouch (BFG), holster on high ride leg shroud (Safariland ALS) double G22 mag pouch (Eagle FB).

Any experience with US Palm products?  They seem to have a decent soft armor system at a reasonable msrp.  Looks like it would be good for HD situations or as a concealable plate carrier.  I haven't ever seen one in person though.  The Defender is the soft armor vest I am referring to.  

They also have a sap-c vest that comes with standalone level 4 plates for a pretty reasonable price.  

I really like the US Palm PCs. Very simple and affordable. I have had hands on with a few - excellent construction in a minimalist package. The hard part is finding them in stock, especially the hard armor ones.

If I had a store, they would be on my short list of items to carry!

We are looking to become a vendor for them, that's the reason I asked!

They seem to have caught up with production, as several online sites have their full line's in stock recently.  

They seem to have caught up with production, as several online sites have their full line's in stock recently.

Keep us updated I need some hard plates!

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Are you looking at carrying a the plates alone as well?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got my armor carrier today in the mail. Looks really well put together. I made the mistake of pulling the wires holding it together without really knowing how they work lol. I got it all squared away now. High Exposure mentioned to me how the side attachments are kind off weird, and they are lol. You lift a flap up then tear away a panel to adjust. You can also adjust the tightness through the wire in the back. All in all I'm happy with the purchase, especially for the price I got it for.

What do you keep in your IFAK to keep it minimized? I feel like mine is bulky..

What do you have in it? A lot of people keep too much stuff in there. They use their IFAK to hold their Boo-Boo (band aids, neosporin, moleskin, crazy glue, etc...), their E&E (fire starter, compass, etc...) or sick call (Advil/Tylenol, benedryl, etc...). I you have that stuff in, take it out. The IFAK should be for immediate life saving (2nd tourniquet, bandage, quikclot, gauze, chest seal, decomp needle, etc...) and appropriate life saving support gear (light stick, scissors, safety pin, duct tape) only.

What pouch are you using? Either a bigger pouch or less stuff. Is anything vacuum sealed? That helps a lot with the bandages and gauze.

Checko has a good list. Covers all the bases.

You could also split it up into a bleeder kit (gauze, TQ, Bandage, quick clot) for self aid and a breathing kit (chest seal, needle, etc...) for someone else to use on you.

I would say comfort, molle real estate, side plate carriers.

If you're throwing on a chest rig you've already configured, why would you need more MOLLE? The potential weight savings would seem to offset the comfort situation. Side plates seems to be the only real advantage, but I'm just armchair quarterbacking here.

EDIT: Re-read my comment and it sounded snotty, which wasn't my intent. I'm genuinely curious.

If you're throwing on a chest rig you've already configured, why would you need more MOLLE? The potential weight savings would seem to offset the comfort situation. Side plates seems to be the only real advantage, but I'm just armchair quarterbacking here.

It depends what your doing as well. I see a plate carrier with level 3 or 4 rifle plates having a dramatically different purpose than a chest rig with some level 3a soft armor under.  Depending on what armor carrier you are putting the chest rig over, it may get bulky up front or around the shoulder straps.  

For a LEO or Military with a PC they will likely have radio's, breaching tools, hydration systems, chem light, e&e kits, e-tools, and a ton of other stuff hanging off themselves for their purpose. Which will very likely be shot at so protection is the highest priority. 

For us?  I just wanted a PC cause I like them, and eventually work my way up to training where if I'm shot accidentally, it will likely be with a rifle.  Hence the larger plates.  Plus who doesnt like buying more gear lol  I have no pipe dreams of being an assaulter, so I too am speculating a bit.