checko

Chest rigs

So what type of armor should I be looking at?   Is soft armor good enough for a carrier like mine or is it designed to be used with a hard plate with soft armor backing specifically?

I guess I'm looking at III or IIIa.  Are there manufacturers I should be steering clear of?

It is designed to be used with hard armor - either stand alone (SA) plates or in-conjunction-with (ICW) plate with soft armor backers. DO NOT RUN ICW PLATES WITHOUT SOFT ARMOR BEHIND IT.

I really like te MSA plates and the stuff Velocity Systems is putting out is pretty nice.

Let me dig through some of my notes from our last BA procurement and I will post what I can.

Whats everyone's opinion on fastmags?

I got offered a couple earlier gen fastmags from a guy I know and figured I'd take them.  I honestly dont know much about them other than they can be mounted upside down or vice versa.  They seem to be pretty popular on some other sites I've visited but never heard much about them here. 

Fastmags:

Pros - very quick to draw/holster mags into, and hold the mags securely even upside down.

Cons - They don't collapse when empty if you press them against something (like going prone if they're on the front), incorporate rubber straps in their design which may go brittle with time.

Yeah, that's a Gen III. Move that rubber band into one of those grooves so it doesn't get cut.

They work OK. Not my favorite. They make for a good emergency reload pouch on the belt. They suck for chest mounting for the reason DD stated.

I can still malice clip my magna mag pistol holders to it right?

I was messing around with them when I got home from work trying to find a spot for them.  I don't think these will work on the belt, they have specific ones for that.  

I put them upside down on my AC to see how they feel.   Meh.  I don't know if I'll keep them.  Maybe I'll mount them on the back of my AC for buddy reload or something lol. 

I guess steel plates have made serious advances recently bc i had ways read they were heavier and had spall issues. That video seems to show the opposite.

Interesting to say the least.

Well I'm not sure why that is surprising. They say it is 1/4 inch thick AR500.  Consider that the best targets out there are made of 3/8 AR500 and will take thousands of hits from .223, and that is with only 50% more thickness. Add some bed liner and you are going to have a rather solid bit protection, seeing that if you need it to last long as MGM steel you got a problem :)

Just got in my Mayflower pouches I had on backorder. Decided to have some fun and throw some stuff on my RackMINUS rig and see how I like it. Here's a mish-mosh of pouches I threw together really quickly, along with a picture of the thickness.

a12Z4Nn.jpg

d0BL909.jpg

Looks really good dude. Is this the config youre thinking of trying out with?

If I may make a suggestion:

I would move the pistol mags anywhere other than the middle there, they would probably be very uncomfortable prone. You can use that spot for a single tq now strap.

Do you have a belt?

Eta I seen you said its kind of thrown together. I like that its very thin. Does it hold tight to the chest well?

Looks really good dude. Is this the config youre thinking of trying out with? If I may make a suggestion: I would move the pistol mags anywhere other than the middle there, they would probably be very uncomfortable prone. You can use that spot for a single tq now strap. Do you have a belt? Eta I seen you said its kind of thrown together. I like that its very thin. Does it hold tight to the chest well?

I wasn't planning on sticking with this configuration. I threw it together more for the purpose of seeing how I like the attachment interface. I'll surely be moving pouches around when I have a more complete understanding of what I'm keeping on the rig and what I'm moving to a belt system. I'll be grabbing a belt system sometime in the future, on which I plan to have some extra mags, a med-kit, a dump pouch, a GP pouch, and my pistol.

The rig is pretty tight to the chest, but I haven't fully adjusted the straps yet. I'll definitely be moving the pistol mag pouch to my weak side on the rig. I will also move the flashlight to the belt system to cut down on bulk, too.

I'm also at the point of trying to figure out what kind of administrative items I'll need to add the entire setup. The process is fun in and of itself, so I'm looking forward to the trial and error nature of finding what works best for me.