NYMetsFan86

Decoding the response to "Whats my FID Status?

I figured i would put this in a new thread for a couple reasons. One is i'd like to know if anyone is aware of the actual order of events in processing ID's (i.e mental health check,trenton, FI Unit, background) investigation) and two can anyone help me figure out how far through this process I am or if i'm just being dicked around.

Applied 5/14 i got a call this AM from a Sarg at Hamilton barracks. He said i only went back to 2005 on my mental health consent form address list. He asked if i lived in the same town in 2003. I told him the address from 2003 as it was the same town i lived in for a while. He said since it was the same county it didn't matter anyway and he would do it for me.  I asked him if he could comment on the "status" of my ID and he said he was finishing that up and sending everything down to the firearms unit. 

Every response seems coded and vague...

That being said, would anyone care to speculate where i'm at with this or take a stab at what that means? My references havent even been contacted. Does the FI Unit contact them?

Does that mean hes done  with background investigation? does the firearms unit just process the ID's? .......no idea what to make of that but im glad they called

Any serious thought or input are greatly appreciated, thanks

From my experience- the local barracks contacts your references. That was done within a week of me applying.   This is done prior to it going to Trenton. 

The mental health form also gets sent to your county and comes back to the local barracks prior to anything getting sent to Trenton. 

The criminal background check is done in Trenton, I believe.  The permits/FID's are also typed up there. 

It's NJ. There is no process or logic. If in fact your file was sent to Trenton, your probably looking at 6-8 weeks. The problem is every time you talk to somebody at the local level you get a different story. I know with my permits they contacted my references 2 months after I submitted everything. My buddy asked him how much longer I had and the trooper said he should have his permits in 2-3 weeks. It was another three and a half months. All in all it was a 6 month process for me. I have heard of some barracks taking 6-9 months before everything went down. Sorry I didn't have any better news for you.

any news is good news...very informative thank you.

That makes me think the situation is now ass backwards since my references haven't been called and its been 2 and a half months. 

After i hung up i kicked myself for not asking why my references weren't contacted yet. I know the Firearms investigation Unit they are refering to is a part of NJSP im just not sure what their hand is in the process. I figured If i can find that out I can maybe piece togeather where i'm at so far. My original thought was that they are the ones who contact references.

I saw two members who posted in the compliance project forum and bothe from NJSP hamilton took around 160 days. 

So we now have a nice window of 160 days to 9 months haha. seriously though, thanks for your input gentlemen

I just did mine through the Bridgeton NJSP barracks.  I called once a month to follow up and the officer I talked to was always very open about the process. 

From our many conversations, this is what I believe the process to be:

Local barracks checks references by phone and submits the paperwork to some other agency for the mental history check. Once these come back clear, the paperwork goes onto a black hole in Trenton for the criminal background check to be done.  It seems like this process takes about 3 months and even the officers at the local barracks aren't sure what happens in this black hole.  All they can tell you at this point is that it's waiting in Trenton.  He did tell me that there are 8 desks in Trenton that process firearm permits and each desk has a stack of hundreds of applications on it. How fast the permit approved is partially determined by who's desk you end up on. 

During one of my monthly calls, the trooper asked if he had already told me my permits had been approved.  He hadn't.  Apparently he somehow received notice that they were approved and was going to call as soon as they were delivered to the local barracks.  A trooper drives to Trenton twice a week to to a "mail run" and my permits should have been included but mine never arrived.  He called the black hole in Trenton and was able to get my permit delivered the next day - 2 weeks after approval.  I don't think the local barracks have any real information on what happens in Trenton and all they can do is wait.

I just did a change of address on my FID through the Hamilton NJSP, they told me that in "normal" times that once everything is send to the firarms unit it takes around 30 days, but due to volume it is now taking between 90 and 120 days.  This was back in March of this year, so hopefully it is closer to normal now.

I just did a change of address on my FID through the Hamilton NJSP, they told me that in "normal" times that once everything is send to the firarms unit it takes around 30 days, but due to volume it is now taking between 90 and 120 days.  This was back in March of this year, so hopefully it is closer to normal now.

Interesting. That makes sense. I have a specific question for you ..just pm'd you

I just did mine through the Bridgeton NJSP barracks.  I called once a month to follow up and the officer I talked to was always very open about the process. 

From our many conversations, this is what I believe the process to be:

Local barracks checks references by phone and submits the paperwork to some other agency for the mental history check. Once these come back clear, the paperwork goes onto a black hole in Trenton for the criminal background check to be done.  It seems like this process takes about 3 months and even the officers at the local barracks aren't sure what happens in this black hole.  All they can tell you at this point is that it's waiting in Trenton.  He did tell me that there are 8 desks in Trenton that process firearm permits and each desk has a stack of hundreds of applications on it. How fast the permit approved is partially determined by who's desk you end up on. 

During one of my monthly calls, the trooper asked if he had already told me my permits had been approved.  He hadn't.  Apparently he somehow received notice that they were approved and was going to call as soon as they were delivered to the local barracks.  A trooper drives to Trenton twice a week to to a "mail run" and my permits should have been included but mine never arrived.  He called the black hole in Trenton and was able to get my permit delivered the next day - 2 weeks after approval.  I don't think the local barracks have any real information on what happens in Trenton and all they can do is wait.

interesting thanks. They must be contacting my references soon then if that could be the first step

I think the delays come from two places:  (1) local barracks doing reference checks and mental history checks and then (2) the black hole in trenton.

I've heard of local barracks taking 2 months to do their part.  That wasn't my experience.  My "sent to Trenton" date was only 2 weeks after I submitted and it still took 4 months.

I just applied for a second round of P2Ps.  Dropped off the paperwork on a Sunday and my references received calls Monday afternoon.  We'll see if anything in trenton is going faster.

I luckily didn't go through a local barrack and was able to go through my PD.  After 3 months I started calling them weekly... every single monday like clockwork. I put in for my permits in February.... supposedly I should have an answer this coming up monday... but then again, I have heard that before!

This is getting absurd and im wondering if i shouldnt just eat the $500-800 and hire an attorney like Henniger or somthing. I was told a trooper was not even assigned to my case yet when i called this past friday, AFTER 3 MONTHS, REALLY? IT TAKES THAT LONG FOR YOU TO PICK UP A PHONE AND CALL REFERENCES????. I am definately getting screwed with and I dont see much of an option at this point. 

What would you do?

Could some NJ towns be bypassing Trenton altogether? Got my initial FID and 3 p2ps in June. Total wait time, 32 days. If that black hole in Trenton is as backed up as they say it is my wait should have been much longer? I think a lot of towns just don't put any priority in these permits and hope u just give up...

Hiring attorney is going to get you nothing but wasted money and a pissed off police barracks.

Why? I have heard others have had success with attorneys. There needs to be a pro active solution to this...

im assuming you recommend i keep calling every two weeks. I am family friends with a few lawyers who im sure would charge me a reasonable fee, and at this point i'd shell out money to whoever believes firmly they can get the job done with some persistance

Could some NJ towns be bypassing Trenton altogether? Got my initial FID and 3 p2ps in June. Total wait time, 32 days. If that black hole in Trenton is as backed up as they say it is my wait should have been much longer? I think a lot of towns just don't put any priority in these permits and hope u just give up...

clearly id rather live in toms river.....

Lawyers are just going to threaten lawsuits that will never happen.  If you were dealing with a local PD, you may have luck with that.

You're dealing with the state directly..they'll move at their own pace and the only thing you can do is politely ask them for updates.

osb, i see your point. I suppose it can't hurt to have a consult though as thats the only way I'll know if somthing legitimate can come from it. If i'm told by a lawyer who I know very well that it is a lost cause, i will back off with no question. If there is a case and he can give me some idea of cost maybe I can afford to sue the NJSP. Boy would I love to, I think it would send a big message, and if it helps anyone else with a similar isssue in the process I'd be even happier. Im tired of sitting here when i should be slapping lowers on my uppers collecting dust and shooting my pistol right now, buying ammo etc.... Not listening to these clowns jerk me around like its an effin game.

Enough is enough. One of the guys I work with told me his brother got his FID from wall township  last week in 40 days! HES FRIGGIN 19 YEAR OLD "DEALER" LAST I HEARD. 

so, Ill keep scouring every option I have....at the very least it will keep me busy while I wait for them to continue crapping on my rights with no repercussions. In the meantime as you said I will be continuing my stupid ass bi-weekly calls  while I look for a shanty in PA.

(I see now why some of you guys do that PA residency thing)

THEY APPARENTLY HAVE PSYCHICS THAT CAN HEAR ME BITCHING! One of my references was called in front of me while im sitting here at the office. 

My favorite question he asked her was.... Does he beat his significant other? God NO of course not! lol

...at least its moving forward, thanks to all who offered constructive comments

So do all of the apps go through this "black hole" or just the ones done through NJSP barracks? The reason I ask is that there are towns that have no problem consistently getting this whole process done within a month. If they all get done the same way then this whole blame trenton thing is a line of BS.

Does he beat his significant other?

I know you found my initial response... less than helpful, in any case, you just have to wait it out - it sucks, and that was my suggestion for moving.  The appropriate response to the question above is "I have no idea, I don't live in his house, why don't you contact his significant other and ask her/him that?

I know you found my initial response... less than helpful, in any case, you just have to wait it out - it sucks, and that was my suggestion for moving.  The appropriate response to the question above is "I have no idea, I don't live in his house, why don't you contact his significant other and ask her/him that?

so true that would have been the most appropriate response.

Thanks everyone for the helpful posts, i'll be waiting it out as recommended. If it gets to around 6 months i'll consider further action.

Hoboken PD never called my references, the only sent them a 3-4 letter questionaire and asked for a little bit of their personal info(address which they already had, employer, etc).

Hoboken PD turned my FID and P2P around in less than 2 months.