Sign in to follow this  
Nick T

What's an inexpensive .38 old revolver

Hi all thought I'd add a wheel gun to my collection I prefer the look of the older guns to what's out today. I just looked if I remember K-38 and model 10's used to be really inexpensive now I'm seeing them go for $500+. Are there any other decent old school wheel guns that can be had on the cheap, I just want something for when we are camping that if god forbid something happened I wouldn't shed a tear.

There are a zillion Model 10s out there in fishing sinker condition to pristine. 4", 3", 2 or 6", and 5" are the approximate rarity from most common to rarest. Blued is what you'll find and if you run across a nickled one they are no very common. $200 to $300 is what you should pay for a decent one. You can do a lot better on a private sale. I bought a 10-6 and a 10-8 in very good condition last year for $125 each.

Everyone should own at least one Model 10.

I have a permit right now I was gonna grab a 1911 but what I want is gonna run more than I can afford to spend right now so ill put in for a new batch for that, plus I need something my wife can use as my department has a bullshit ass policy on the books that no one can touch guns used for off duty purposes except the officer

On a budget, I would rather have a newer .357 revolver.  On a budget, you cannot beat a Taurus  66 or 85.  Or, maybe you will get lucky and find a Ruger Six Series for about $500, 

Still there is an understated pleasure in the older models.

Careful, revolvers are addictive. I once was of the mindset that revolvers were obsolete and impractical. Now I love them and own close to 20. I would say go with the model 10 for an older one or a taurus for a newer one. Taurus makes some great options and some of the stuff they have on gunbroker can be had for a great price.

On a budget, I would rather have a newer .357 revolver...  

Or, maybe you will get lucky and find a Ruger Six Series for about $500, 

You can find Ruger SP101's, NIB, for around $500.

Also (for a few $s more), I saw a nice looking GP100, 4" blued at Effinger yesterday for $589