Sign in to follow this  
Sixtytwo327

How not to protest...

I was reading this story in the NY Daily News about an “Open Carry Rally” or something at a Starbucks in Newtown, Connecticut. Some men showed up and wagged their guns in public. Then frothy-mouthed antis showed up, wailing and shrieking bloody murder. Everybody was outraged at everybody, nobody changed their mind and absolutely nothing got resolved. Personally, I don’t understand open carry and I’m not a fan of armed marches -- but to each their own.

However, please let’s all agree: if you are going to carry a gun, hold yourself up as a responsible gun owner, and post about on the Internet, please don’t post pics of your gun... pointing at your own nuts.

starbucks11n-7-web.jpg

Anyone else cringe?

i occasionally open carry... when I open carry it is normally because what I am wearing is not conducive to carrying concealed.. if you own a holster that has a retention system.. and you are comfortable with being aware.. and understand all the risk associated with it I fail to see the problem...

i occasionally open carry... when I open carry it is normally because what I am wearing is not conducive to carrying concealed.. if you own a holster that has a retention system.. and you are comfortable with being aware.. and understand all the risk associated with it I fail to see the problem...

Given that, makes sense.

I didn't read anything about people "wagged" guns around.

The picture you posted was taken in a CAR, not in public. I think it's a crappy idea to play with a handgun in a car, or to point it at yourself, but it's not an issue of unholstering and waving a gun around in public.

I saw two additional photos in the article. One showed a handgun on a table that did not look like any table in any Starbucks I have ever seen with paneling from the 70s.

I saw a third of a guy holding a rife in what might be a Starbucks, which I agree would be jackassery.

I didn't read anything about people "wagged" guns around.

The picture you posted was taken in a CAR, not in public. I think it's a crappy idea to play with a handgun in a car, or to point it at yourself, but it's not an issue of unholstering and waving a gun around in public.

I saw two additional photos in the article. One showed a handgun on a table that did not look like any table in any Starbucks I have ever seen with paneling from the 70s.

I saw a third of a guy holding a rife in what might be a Starbucks, which I agree would be jackassery.

Fair points - though the antis- that showed up were not actually frothing at the mouth, though I bet some were close...

These things get me down; I post a lot of positive firearms things on Facebook (fun clay shooting, wife & I at the range, etc.) and I've taken a number of first-timers shooting, but then I see things like this and I feel like it undermines my own effort (and the efforts of those who do way, way more than I do) to promote the shooting sports & 2A.

From what I read it wasn't so much a rally. It was mainly "open carry when you go to Starbucks". There was no set time. Folks were going in with their firearms, ordering, and leaving. The antis showed up en mass and generally made a huge mess of it. At some point I thought I heard that Starbucks closed early.

From what I read it wasn't so much a rally. It was mainly "open carry when you go to Starbucks". There was no set time. Folks were going in with their firearms, ordering, and leaving. The antis showed up en mass and generally made a huge mess of it. At some point I thought I heard that Starbucks closed early.

ironically I have open carried in Starbucks numerous times (and many other businesses)... no one ever cared.. 

Exactly. Nobody cared. Until the neck beards showed up and acted like asshats.

its funny because we have a lot of very liberal people in our area due to being a college town.. Starbucks.. Panera Bread.... places like that can at any time be filled with the exact people you are thinking about.. and guess what.. still.. no one cared.. I think there are certainly areas in the US where it can be an issue.. and I am sure it has a ton to do with where you live.. 

"Recently, several people waiting for a bus were struck and run over by a crazy man in a car........."  Many people, several days after, had the audacity to drive to the site and pay their respects...in a car.

Defending yourself is an actual RIGHT... a car is not. Something is wrong with the statement?????

"Recently, several people waiting for a bus were struck and run over by a crazy man in a car........."  Many people, several days after, had the audacity to drive to the site and pay their respects...in a car.

Defending yourself is an actual RIGHT... a car is not. Something is wrong with the statement?????

It is a run-on sentence..

It's FACEBOOK.

Its not the NewYork Times or Washingtin Post

Anybody getting their emotions jacked up over FB should remind themselves it's FB. It's akin to expecting sanity from a frat house

The best thing I ever did in my life is remove myself from that last year. My life is so much calmer now. Now the only thing that jacks me up is you fellas on here! Lol. Thank god I don't ever have to see a pic of a guy with a pistol on his nuts unless it's linked here. To me it's all downside being on FB