ogfarmer

Doomsday Castle & Doomsday Preppers

Real castles are great but real castles have very very thick walls.. There castle has cynder block walls which are not too thick and generally hollow so i dont know how much it would hold up ... Not to mention the kids will probably kill each other inside the castle before they even get attacked lol

I thought it was said that the blocks were reinforced with rebar and filled with concrete. I could be wrong, I was only half paying attention.

As pointed out earlier: real castles didn't have huge windows facing the outside. Or if they did they also had an outer defensive wall.

I thought it was said that the blocks were reinforced with rebar and filled with concrete. I could be wrong, I was only half paying attention.

As pointed out earlier: real castles didn't have huge windows facing the outside. Or if they did they also had an outer defensive wall.

Yes, I believe you are right. Early in the show they said the walls were reinforced. They look pretty meaty. Also, it doesn't all look like cinder block. Quite a bit of the exterior looks to be stone. Still, I don't know about stopping a .50BMG armor piercing round. Maybe the first one, but after that it starts to get a little scary. Of course, they may add additional protection to the inside later, and one would assume they wouldn't sit up against an outside wall while being fired on with heavy weapons. Now, the whole drawbridge thing; ehhh, not impressed, and it definitely is a vulnerability; at least against heavy weapons, explosives, and vehicles.

With all the talk of being in such a rush to get things done, I would think that things like a roof, and filling in/protecting the window openings,etc.... would take priority over building a catapult., or even a listening post. You have a giant castle. Put an observations post on the roof........Once you have a roof that is.

If you have the materials, and time on your hands, I guess it can't hurt to have a catapult, as it expands your options for ammo. But, given that this family seems to have a decent amount of money/resources, I would have focused on "machine" gun emplacements, and other real, modern weapons. (such as buried IEDs on the access road) To avoid the ridiculous expense of transferable machine guns, they could have acquired "nuetered" M1919s, M2, Vickers, Maxims,etc... to be legal, and quietly acquired, and then buried, the F/A conversion parts on the property. Never touch those parts unless/until the law no longer matters. I think a few .50 cal machine guns on the roof the castle would have the same or greater range then the catapult, and be more effective. I suppose you could even skip the F/A stuff, as those kids don't really seem like they would the trigger discipline to avoid dumping an entire belt in seconds. Even semi-auto, these guns would be very effective. 

On the other hand, there has been very little mention of firearms at all, on the show. It could be either the network not being comfortable with it, or maybe the family is keeping some things a secret? Of course, they might also want to be more careful about discussing their location. The mentioned the "blue ridge mountains" in last nights episode. I give the "internet" a week, tops, to find that castle, via google earth, in the middle of the woods of TN.

Oh, and I think the blond, Dawn Marie, is definitely the hottest. Yeah, the oldest one has "bullets" big enough to be destructive devices, but she comes off as very stuck up and high maintenance, as well as not being reliable in a bad situation. The blonde seems more genuine, and much more capable. I would trust her in a doomsday scenario.

The oldest son, besides looking like a creepy serial killer, is a complete ass. I think I would shoot him myself on day one. Definitely a "pretty boy" who is desperately trying to look like Mr. Macho outdoorsman. I was so hoping they were going to "vote him of the island" last night.

Yes, I believe you are right. Early in the show they said the walls were reinforced. They look pretty meaty. Also, it doesn't all look like cinder block. Quite a bit of the exterior looks to be stone. Still, I don't know about stopping a .50BMG armor piercing round. Maybe the first one, but after that it starts to get a little scary. Of course, they may add additional protection to the inside later, and one would assume they wouldn't sit up against an outside wall while being fired on with heavy weapons. Now, the whole drawbridge thing; ehhh, not impressed, and it definitely is a vulnerability; at least against heavy weapons, explosives, and vehicles.

With all the talk of being in such a rush to get things done, I would think that things like a roof, and filling in/protecting the window openings,etc.... would take priority over building a catapult., or even a listening post. You have a giant castle. Put an observations post on the roof........Once you have a roof that is.

I think that's where the shows veers from "documentary" to "entertainment".   The rush seems self-imposed to heighten the drama.. as if Thunderdome is going to happen next week.   Given the same resources they'd be better off securing their "castle".. both from humans and weather.. and then extend that security out by adding layers.  Basic priorities:  Food, water, Protection from elements, protection from enemies.   Right now their "castle" is a shell.. building out the floors, windows, roof should be the priority.  Build in layers of security.. outer wall, inner wall..etc.   This guy's view of a castle comes from Disney.  Might want to think of all the other things a castle had (and why they were ultimately made obsolete).

Gotta ask.. does this place have its own water supply?  A well, spring, river?   If not, Game over.  I don't care how secure you are, if you're not self sufficient then eventually you'll need to go forage and that's when you're vulnerable.

Everyone on the cast gives me douche-chills.. if they survive the apocalypse then Darwin is an asshole.

I'm thinking if someone were to drive a car straight into the corner of that place it would bring down a wall or two. Those walls are to thin and even if they're filled in, it's still to thin of a wall to provide the type of protection this guy wants.

With enough ANFO, you can take out an entire free standing wall. Hell, in a desperate situation home made shaped charges aren't hard to make. Get a ladder across their 'moat' (which I doubt is going to be anything significant unless they compromise their hill), get a charge on their drawbridge, or even on the mounts and you have an opening right there. 

Or if you want to go old school (circa the 1300's) you can do siege warfare. Poison their wells, bombard their castle, fling dead animals over their walls. Destroy their will to resist, cut their resources, and remove avenues of escape and they'll beg you to let them go at the price of a petty castle as long as you don't kill them. 

Or if you want to go old school (circa the 1300's) you can do siege warfare. Poison their wells, bombard their castle, fling dead animals over their walls. Destroy their will to resist, cut their resources, and remove avenues of escape and they'll beg you to let them go at the price of a petty castle as long as you don't kill them. 

In other words: Make them watch their own show...