Sign in to follow this  
fishnut

Thinking of going to belize

The wife and I are planning one last international trip before starting a family. We are very interested in Belize and I was wondering if any of you have been and can make any recommendations on things to do or not do and places to go or not go. Let me know of your experiences  good or bad. Thanks everyone.

Adam

A few years back we stopped in Belize on a cruise.. We took an excursion and did cave tubing in I think Belize city.. It was one of the best things I've ever done. It begins with a short hike through a rain forest. Then you get on a tube a float down a river into caves where you check out some bats and unique rock/mineral formations..you have to see it to believe it.. If you go put it on your list

your gonna need a bunch of vaccines if your goin into jungle for extended period, my buddy got Dengue Fever in Costa Rica in the jungle while studying botany.

My dad was on a cruise a few years ago and they stopped in Belize, I'll have to ask him about it.

We spent a week in Belieze about 15 years ago and loved it. First part of the trip was diving; we stayed at Ramon’s Village on Ambergris Caye (http://ramons.com/ ). A warning – if you aren’t a diver, there ain’t much to do, not even much of a beach. (actually, I just looked at the web site and it looks a bit different than when I was there). If you are a diver, you won’t ever want to leave.  And if you are a diver, try and dive the blue hole – an experience you’ll never forget. You’ll be down at about 145 feet, so your time will be limited to about 9 minutes at depth, but it’s absolutely breathtaking.

The second half of the week we stayed at a resort in the mountains and explored the ruins, which was very cool. The ruins I went to see where in the mountains, not the jungle. Had to get to the resort by 4WD. Pine trees, coffe beans, and scorpions; an odd combination.

Go – you won’t regret it

your gonna need a bunch of vaccines if your goin into jungle for extended period, my buddy got Dengue Fever in Costa Rica in the jungle while studying botany.

My dad was on a cruise a few years ago and they stopped in Belize, I'll have to ask him about it.

They do not require shots but I am current on all mine from some trips a few years back anyway can never be too careful especially in the jungle

We spent a week in Belieze about 15 years ago and loved it. First part of the trip was diving; we stayed at Ramon’s Village on Ambergris Caye (http://ramons.com/ ). A warning – if you aren’t a diver, there ain’t much to do, not even much of a beach. (actually, I just looked at the web site and it looks a bit different than when I was there). If you are a diver, you won’t ever want to leave.  And if you are a diver, try and dive the blue hole – an experience you’ll never forget. You’ll be down at about 145 feet, so your time will be limited to about 9 minutes at depth, but it’s absolutely breathtaking.

The second half of the week we stayed at a resort in the mountains and explored the ruins, which was very cool. The ruins I went to see where in the mountains, not the jungle. Had to get to the resort by 4WD. Pine trees, coffe beans, and scorpions; an odd combination.

Go – you won’t regret it

I am a diver but the wife is not so we will probably just snorkel as I am already ditching her for a night or two to catch and photograph snakes and crocs (yes I am crazy) and we will be at the beach for only 2 out of 8 days anyway and one of them we will be fishing

A few years back we stopped in Belize on a cruise.. We took an excursion and did cave tubing in I think Belize city.. It was one of the best things I've ever done. It begins with a short hike through a rain forest. Then you get on a tube a float down a river into caves where you check out some bats and unique rock/mineral formations..you have to see it to believe it.. If you go put it on your list

Thanks I was on the fence about the cave tubing but you tipped the scale in the favor of the caves

A dozen years ago I spent a week on Blackbird Caye/Turneffe Atol, about 25 miles off the coast of Belize.  Loved it!!!   It's a diver's paradise, closer to the barrier reef than the other, larger cayes.   It wouldn't be a good choice for non-divers, as there is only the single diving resort on the Caye and nothing else to do there but watch the salt water crocs come up to the dock at night.

I had a few hours to spend in Belize city on departure day, it was fun, but I don't remember any specifics to recommend.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get into the mainland jungle, or do any of the ecotourism stuff the country is known for.   

A good friend of mine ownes a farm in Belize, of course they are avid divers and enjoy both snorkling and scuba.  Just be careful swimming in the inland rivers, some very large crocs swim there as well.

About 12 years ago I spent a week with my gf at the time. Got the last flight out of the northeast before a badass February storm hit. We spent several days in the western part, by San Ignacio and Belmopan. The place was called Black Rock Lodge. Cool as hell, took a trip to the Caracol Mayan ruins. I rescued a tarantula in one of the rivers, it was floating by on its back, and I grabbed it and tossed it on the riverbank. I'm still waiting for the karma to get back to me.

Anyway, we spent several more days on Ambergris Caye. I didn't dive, but we did some snorkeling and drinking. English speaking, which helps. All in all, one if the most beautiful places I've ever been. It is a small country, so try to experience both the jungle and the coast, you can see both in a day. Great choice on destination.

First chance I get. That MacAffee story has me sold. Guns, bath salts, young hookers, murdered neighbor, scaring people on the beach, burnt down mansion, on the run in Guatemala. Living the life.

gee thanks for the useless post