polpol

Newbie questions on 1st AR build...

help...

I already have bare lowers & looking to purchase a BCM complete upper & have a few ?s

can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced shop to NJ-modify an AR? preferably close as possible to Bergen County.

14.5" BCM complete upper - can the installed muzzle device be removed? since it probably won't be NJ legal, I will be getting a YHM-28-5M1 muzzle brake. with the new muzzle brake installed, it should be the legal 16", right? I can just bring this complete upper (not entire rifle) to a shop and have them change out the muzzle?

also, are Gisele triggers really worth the $ for an amateur shooter who occasionally shots?

thanks,

LEO member

• Like 1

Unless the manufacturer or selling company advertises and sells you a "permanently attach muzzle device" option, then you can assume that the existing FH is just threaded on and can be removed by the operator.

The YHM-28-5M1 is 1.5" in length. 14.5" barrel + 1.5" brake = legal 16" overall length.

You can swap it out yourself but you may need a gunsmith to pin/weld it to the barrel.

Geissele triggers are the bees knees. Only thing stopping me from owning one is the price.

help...

I already have bare lowers & looking to purchase a BCM complete upper & have a few ?s

can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced shop to NJ-modify an AR? preferably close as possible to Bergen County.

14.5" BCM complete upper - can the installed muzzle device be removed? since it probably won't be NJ legal, I will be getting a YHM-28-5M1 muzzle brake. with the new muzzle brake installed, it should be the legal 16", right? I can just bring this complete upper (not entire rifle) to a shop and have them change out the muzzle?

also, are Gisele triggers really worth the $ for an amateur shooter who occasionally shots?

thanks,

LEO member

I just did this exact same thing with a BCM upper.

Just bring the upper only. I took it to Ottomanelli's in Woodland Park http://osarms.com/

And btw, when I say that I just did this exact same thing, I mean this upper:

bcmup.jpg

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-M4-16

And instead of the M1 brake I got the M2.

And I'm in Bergen County.

And I'm a newbie here building my first rifle.

And in case you haven't already noticed.... this place is a gold-mine of helpful, knowledgeable, and good guys!

I just got my first Geissele trigger the 3 gun flat one. I was always very hesitant to pay that kind of money for a trigger. Well I recently got a deal on one and I couldn't pass it up. So I first put it in my 15-22 and it was unbelievable such a clean break and such a short reset, I thought I may have trouble shooting to fast while dry firing but when I got it to the range I was amazed. This is the best upgrade I have ever done to any of my rifles. I will be moving it to my standard AR for my next range trip to see how I like that.

I would expect I will be moving this trigger between my 15-22 and AR15's as needed until I can afford another one or actually 2 as I have two AR's without them now. So I will be spending a little over $700 on triggers sometime in the future and be happy about it, because once you use one you cannot go back to a regular GI trigger!!

I have never used a Timney or CMC or the other high end triggers, but now that I know about the SD3 I will stick with it. They are Super Dynamic!!

http://geissele.com/super-dyanmic.aspx

All the muzzle devices on the 14.5 in uppers are pinned as per nfa regs. If the werent the would need to have a tax stamp as a sbr. I suggest you choose one of the breaks they offer. Their gunfighter break looks sweet and ive read good reviews. Im waitin on ammo to test out mine.

All the muzzle devices on the 14.5 in uppers are pinned as per nfa regs. If the werent the would need to have a tax stamp as a sbr. I suggest you choose one of the breaks they offer. Their gunfighter break looks sweet and ive read good reviews. Im waitin on ammo to test out mine.

Not true. You CAN order an nfa upper without a stamp. It will come with an unpinned flash suppressor. Its totally legal to have only an upper as its not considered a firearm. Bring it to the smith for compliance and youre good.

I did this with my most recent upper. Just send it to another address if you have the rest of the components.

BTW I went out and purchased a spikes dynacomp and I'm happy with the results.

Not true. You CAN order an nfa upper without a stamp. It will come with an unpinned flash suppressor. Its totally legal to have only an upper as its not considered a firearm. Bring it to the smith for compliance and youre good.

I did this with my most recent upper. Just send it to another address if you have the rest of the components.

correct.. in other states many people build SBR type ARs without stocks.. and they are considered pistols.. (not allowed in NJ due to weight.. but you get the idea)

what exactly do you mean by "rest of the components"?  just the lower frame? or ALL the parts that make up the rifle?

ended up with the BCM standard 14.5 light weight... ALMOST got a DD lite 12" rail, until I read about the awkward bolts. got a Geissele MK4, cheaper ($310 vs 399), lighter and much better design.

what exactly do you mean by "rest of the components"?  just the lower frame? or ALL the parts that make up the rifle?

ended up with the BCM standard 14.5 light weight... ALMOST got a DD lite 12" rail, until I read about the awkward bolts. got a Geissele MK4, cheaper ($310 vs 399), lighter and much better design.

Generally regarded as "constructive intent" or the ability to have all the parts necessary to complete an assault weapon.  I don't see a stripped lower and complete upper to be a complete rifle, as it would be impossible to fire. But of course I dont make the decisions. 

Generally regarded as "constructive intent" or the ability to have all the parts necessary to complete an assault weapon.  I don't see a stripped lower and complete upper to be a complete rifle, as it would be impossible to fire. But of course I dont make the decisions. 

dunno what the laws are exactly. sounds like I need to ship the rest of the parts somewhere else.

whats gonna happen? the A tee F gonna be knocking on my door???

I intend on bringing some or all of the parts to a gunsmith to have it neutered, sounds like I probably should just bring one part at a time. ridiculous

dunno what the laws are exactly. sounds like I need to ship the rest of the parts somewhere else.

whats gonna happen? the A tee F gonna be knocking on my door???

I intend on bringing some or all of the parts to a gunsmith to have it neutered, sounds like I probably should just bring one part at a time. ridiculous

Will they? I dunno. Prob not. But I do my best not to break any laws albeit dumb ones.

Do you have a complete upper or parts of an upper being shipped?

Just ship the parts that need the work directly to the ffl. Problem solved.

Whatever you do, do NOT bring a complete "un-neutered" rifle to a gunsmith yourself to make NJ compliant... for obvious reasons.

If you're buying a complete non-compliant rifle and you want to make it compliant, you have to have it shipped directly to the FFL who is making it compliant. It cannot pass through your hands.

Whatever you do, do NOT bring a complete "un-neutered" rifle to a gunsmith yourself to make NJ compliant... for obvious reasons.

If you're buying a complete non-compliant rifle and you want to make it compliant, you have to have it shipped directly to the FFL who is making it compliant. It cannot pass through your hands.

I am buying a 14.5 BCM upper receiver group with BCG, charging handle & A2 flash hider. only item I suspect would need to be neutered would be the flash hider, if it's even pinned.

I will bring the above part with a YHM muzzle brake to have it installed.

i only possess a registered bare lower (no trigger, grip,,,etc)

as I order more parts in the future, I will bring them in to a shop to have them neutered.

is this good? or should I have just shipped everything to a FFL?

I am buying a 14.5 BCM upper receiver group with BCG, charging handle & A2 flash hider. only item I suspect would need to be neutered would be the flash hider, if it's even pinned.

i only possess a registered bare lower (no trigger, grip,,,etc)

as I order more parts in the future, I will bring them in to a shop to have them neutered.

You should be good for now. You will need the flash hider and the bayo lug shaved.

I brought my upper to OSA for that very purpose. 

I believe the original quote was $30 (maybe $35. I'll check the rcpt if you want me to).

However.......

You will need the flash hider and the bayo lug shaved.

...my previous experience with AR's (and I'm specifically referring to the M16), meant that the bayo lug didn't even register with me as something that would be considered a no-go (it looked perfectly normal to my eyes). 

But Vlad and Lalo did notice (of course. These guys don't miss anything) so after I had dropped off my upper with OSA, I rcvd a call from the gun-shop there telling me that the lug also needed to be gone.

They charged me an additional $20 for that, I believe.

And just for the record:

Much to the chagrin of Vlad and others here, I myself did not have my 'lawless' rifle parts directly shipped to an FFL when I purchased them. My impetuous nature just wanted parts to build(!). So the legal ramifications of my actions were not anywhere to be found on my radar.

It was however, fully on theirs. So I can assure you that while it initially seemed to me that it was all a lot of overkill to be as cautious as they were advising me to be, they do preach the letter of the law - and for that they cannot be faulted. And I'll even go a step further and say that they should be commended for expressing the level of concern that they do for the less knowledgeable members here.

Because seriously... the help that you get here is not half-azzed. It's hard core. These guys are really good! 

So if you aren't as impatiently ignorant as I had proven that I could be regarding my own build, then I strongly suggest that you heed the advice of these guys. It might seem like overkill at the time.... but if something were to happen, and the state were to somehow come down of you because of it.... 'overkill' would be working against you at that point. And the thoughtful advice that you had rcvd here would then have been unnecessarily wasted. 

These guys look out for you.... and that's solid!

Btw, when I first became a member here, it was my goal to acclimate myself into the NJ gun culture. But little did I know that when you enter here, there are guys here who are very eager to help you in ways that go beyond your own expectations.  And for that I am truly grateful.

And ok.... I'm still acclimating myself to the fact that they all seem to refer to their rifles as 'guns' (shudder). And that they take a peculiar pride in keeping 'dirty' weapons (double-shudder). But if that's the culture here, then it's on me to acclimate. I'm just glad to have gotten the opportunity to get to know these guys. And that part has been very easy to acclimated myself to!

Bottom-line:

Unless you know that you know more than these guys; listen.... and learn.

And that they take a peculiar pride in keeping 'dirty' weapons (double-shudder). 

if you maintain your gun to the nines and it works.. then cool... cool until the world deals you a hand where you are unable to maintain the gun to that level... push the gun to its mechanical limits while in the control of order... in the safety of a gun range.. while shooting paper targets.. so that you understand the weapon system.. and understand its point of failure... 

a clean gun is great..

a dirty reliable one is better... 

if you maintain your gun to the nines and it works.. then cool... cool until the world deals you a hand where you are unable to maintain the gun to that level... push the gun to its mechanical limits while in the control of order... in the safety of a gun range.. while shooting paper targets.. so that you understand the weapon system.. and understand its point of failure... 

a clean gun is great..

Hey, the fact that I choose to acclimate to the ways here is a testament to my ability to alter previously held beliefs (that were drilled into me like few will ever truly know!).

I wasn't complaining... or criticizing. Just commenting.

It's an adjustment for me. That's all I'm saying.

Hey, the fact that I choose to acclimate to the ways here is a testament to my ability to alter previously held beliefs (that were drilled into me like few will ever truly know!).

I wasn't complaining... or criticizing. Just commenting.

It's an adjustment for me. That's all I'm saying.

wasnt picking.. just explaining the thought process.. lol

my AR build shopping list is almost complete, just waiting for the PSA LPK and a few Pmags...

changed my mind on the muzzle brake, so I have a (NIB) YHM Muzzle (toothed) brake for sale

Question now is: 5.11 bag for $90, invest in a Pelican hardcase for approx $170 or a cheap Plano hardcase for approx. $50

btw - everything below cost me $1,951.84

S&W Lower | Magpul STR |  Geissele MK4  | BCM Stock Kit  | BCM Upper receiver group 14.5 LW  | BCM low profile gas block   |  Magpul MS4 sling pkg  | Magpul Enhanced trigger guard  | Magpul AFG2  | Magpul MBUS Gen2 Front sight  | Magpul MBUS Gen2 Rear sight  | Geissele G2S    | Magpul MIAD grip  | Spikes Ejection Port    | PSA LPK  | Surefire 2GXB  | KZ flashlight mount  | Spikes Dynacomp brake

a clean gun is great..

I understand knowing the characteristics and limits to your firearm under less than ideal conditions. But once those are know I'd think you would want to keep it maintained. That way you have further to go once the S hits the F than keeping it dirty.

I understand knowing the characteristics and limits to your firearm under less than ideal conditions. But once those are know I'd think you would want to keep it maintained. That way you have further to go once the S hits the F than keeping it dirty.

You can clean an ar15 in next to no time... You will know it needs to be cleaned when it starts to run slow... I don't constantly abuse my weapons intentionally but I shoot often so there is no way I am cleaning the gun twice a week... So as a habit I simply observe the gun and clean it when it asks to be clean... The short one is more temperamental because it tends to run dirtier... But both run well abused...

My ammo carrier has what I'd need to clean it to get it to run... And a spare lower parts kit... So I'm not to stressed about an on the go situation...

i only possess a registered bare lower (no trigger, grip,,,etc)

How long is that brake.... Make sure it gets you to 16 inches...