Sign in to follow this  
anactivegrenade

Sig P227? Anyone try it out yet?

Hey guys, I've been browsing for handguns lately (turning 21 in November), and have been looking at Sigs. The single-stack 45acp Sig P220 looks awesome, and has a great reputation.

Sig Sauer did just release their new double-stack 45acp Sig P227, though. Anyone have any experience with this gun yet? Could anyone give me a comparison of the two? (Aside from the fact one is single-stack, the other is double).

Or should I say "screw Sig, I'm getting a 15-round 45acp polymer handgun!"???

Sigs semi autos and S&W revolvers make up the bulk of my gun collection. I was always a .357 and .45 ACP man but old age, arthritis and nerve damage have taken their toll on my hands. I can shoot about 150 rounds of 9mm or .38 spl. until my hands start shaking so much that I cannot aim any more. With .45, that number drops down to about 25 rounds so I sold off all my .45's except for my Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull/.45 Colt. The gun is so heavy that the problem is not the recoil of the .45 Colt I load it with but rather the strain from holding up a 46 ounce gun for a long time.

I have owned several P220s and would buy the P227 as soon as I could find one if I was able to have extended range sessions with it. I would find it perfect for me. I also like the FNX -45, having owned their 9mm. I think of them as a poor man's HK. :)

Why is e2 sissy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I say "sissy" that refers equally to both women & men.

Listen, sometimes manufacturers can go overboard & make things too small or thin.  Take the E2 grip.  I happen to have big hands & gripping something the size of a straw doesn't work for me.  When you have a good grip on a beefy grip, you won't question yourself if you are holding & pointing it right in the dark.

Okay okay sure it's good for persons who have small hands, I grant you that.  

I never liked the look or feel of the P226 E2s when I was first handgun shopping, so I went with the traditional grip on my P226.  After shooting a friend's P229 E2, I've come around on the E2, though I still dislike the look of the E2s...  I always thought the P226 was a perfect size, until I held a P220...the slim grips on the P220 sold me on that gun, and I will own one.  I'm now thinking of getting an E2 retrofit kit for my 226.  I have fairly large hands, and never would have expected the P226 to not feel 100% right...maybe it's just that P220 fit me so much better.

P227 seems like an interesting gun, but I prefer the P220.

As always, try handling/shooting both if possible to see what works for you.

activegrenade,

I usually watch VDMA videos on Youtube.  I think he does the most in-depth reviews on the internet.  Needless to say he knows his shit.  If you're looking at the Sigs, I don't think you can go wrong.  Before you shell out all that dough, I think you should look at EVERYTHING you can. Here are some vids he put out that caught my eye.  I'm personally looking at the FNX Tactical once I make the move to New Hamphire.

Sig Sauer P220

Heckler & Koch HK45

Glock 21

FN FNX 45

FN FNX Tactical

I also subscribe another channel, nutnfancy, here's some of his takes on the Sig P227.

Sig Sauer P227

I never liked the look or feel of the P226 E2s when I was first handgun shopping, so I went with the traditional grip on my P226.  After shooting a friend's P229 E2, I've come around on the E2, though I still dislike the look of the E2s...  I always thought the P226 was a perfect size, until I held a P220...the slim grips on the P220 sold me on that gun, and I will own one.  I'm now thinking of getting an E2 retrofit kit for my 226.  I have fairly large hands, and never would have expected the P226 to not feel 100% right...maybe it's just that P220 fit me so much better.

P227 seems like an interesting gun, but I prefer the P220.

As always, try handling/shooting both if possible to see what works for you.

Nobody appreciates the P220 grip until they actually hold one.  It's awesome.