Sign in to follow this  
bignic83

Wow!

Have seen the same kind of stupidity, was at a time when video camera's were more frikkin weight than you would want to bring along for a day at the range

"Honey relax, I don't know how to do this"

"Next time I teach you"

Who is the bigger moron there ?

I disagree with calling them morons. She was obviously brand new to shooting and never fired one before. It is easy to understand how such a person could make that mistake. He on the other hand was out their introducing his girlfriend to firearms. Now while you could argue he was a moron because he did not teach her that stuff before letting her fire the rifle, I think that is being to harsh. Considering his reaction when he got muzzle swept, It was quite obvious he understood the danger, as well as being fully aware of the situation. I have seen people get muzzle swept and not react at all. That tells me he has some decent smarts. To me it seems more like he has been around firearms for quite awhile though probably has never dealt with a complete newbie to firearms. To people like us, it is quite obvious and common sense that you never point a firearm at something you do not want to destroy or kill. Think about it like this, you invite an adult over to grill for the first time, do you tell them that parts the grill will get hot enough to burn them? I'd say probably not since it is common sense that a metal box containing a fire will probably get really hot. I think he probably thought that not pointing a firearm at someone else was a  "No Duh" thing and went without saying. It turned out to be a bad assumption obviously, but unless you have taught newbies before or are as big into the shooting sports as we are, it is understandable why he would think like that.

I'd say it was simply an honest mistake due to lack of experience.

Not going to sugar coat it for anyone

He should have known to teach her safety before handing her the gun, and having just shot it she should have been able to realize the potential destructive power she was holding

And then to top it off, let's post the video

It's the kind of moronic ignorance the gun community doesn't need

. Considering his reaction when he got muzzle swept, It was quite obvious he understood the danger, as well as being fully aware of the situation. I have seen people get muzzle swept and not react at all. That tells me he has some decent smarts. To me it seems more like he has been around firearms for quite awhile though probably has never dealt with a complete newbie to firearms. 

I'd say it was simply an honest mistake due to lack of experience.

This is exactly why he is a moron IMHO. He knows the danger yet he put a firearm in the hands of a newbie without explaining the dangers, and not just explaining, but drilling them into her head. The fact that he hasn't dealt with a newbie before doesn't hold water with me. I say that because he knows a firearm can cause serious injury/death. One doesn't hand someone an object like that without being sure the recipient knows what they are doing and at the very least understands the ramifications of what could happen should they point the gun in an unsafe direction... unless... one is a moron. Again, just my opinion based on my own experience. I know I have never done that, even when I was a newbie myself. 

I've actually had an ex do this at a range. She fired my .45 and a hot shell went down her tank top and she turned around with the gun. I jumped to her and grabbed the gun before she either fired it or dropped it lol. But she also had the good sense to remove her finger from the trigger

I've actually had an ex do this at a range. She fired my .45 and a hot shell went down her tank top and she turned around with the gun. I jumped to her and grabbed the gun before she either fired it or dropped it lol. But she also had the good sense to remove her finger from the trigger

This is why you tell girls not to wear stuff like that at the range... I mean c'mon.  No open toed shoes, no flip flops, no loose clothing....

I have a slightly different take on this.  At least he knew that you should never do that just by his reaction.  He did not properly instruct his GF.  That is his real mistake, not firearms safety. 

Now, I had someone do this to me.  Almost identical situation at the club in my home range.  I did freak the hell out when that happened.  Similar to the man taking the video here.  It was NOT someone I was shooting with though so I wasnt as nice.

Ken