ryan_j

NJ CCW qualification

glad I can amuse :-D

I am sure the NYPD course of fire to qualify is not far different, have not looked it up yet, but let's not forget this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/22/nypd-sued-over-shooting-at-empire-state-building/

You can say the LEO's were under stress...

But if they passed the NYPD quali, and still hit 8 bystanders...

Simple math, NYPD Quali ≈ NJ Quali = Pass = shot 8 bystanders; Quali ≠ Good Marksmanship; Quali = Not Too Hard

:-D

Ever had a guy pull a gun on you on a busy street? What would you do? If you saw the videos of this shooting the cops came around the corner and the shooter was there. You fail to mention (as does your link) that it was determined the rounds that hit bystanders were ones that had already gone through the shooter.

Ever had a guy pull a gun on you on a busy street? What would you do? If ou saw the videos of this shooting the cops came around the corner and the shooter was there. You fail to mention (as does our link) that it was determined the rounds that hit bystanders were ones that had already gone through the shooter.

Yes, pretty easy to point fingers by those of us who have never been in a gunfight.  I can't even imagine the stress level, versus just poking holes in paper. 

All you have to do is hit anywhere on the FBI Q target?  :icon_e_confused:

Thats the whole reason I am saying its not "that" hard.  Its not the like the requirement is to hit an MOA size target.  You have to basically hit a torsou sized target.  All you have to do, is get 48 out of 60 "HITS" not center of mass, not ocular cranial cavity, just "HITS"

Ever had a guy pull a gun on you on a busy street? What would you do? If you saw the videos of this shooting the cops came around the corner and the shooter was there. You fail to mention (as does your link) that it was determined the rounds that hit bystanders were ones that had already gone through the shooter.

Yes, pretty easy to point fingers by those of us who have never been in a gunfight.  I can't even imagine the stress level, versus just poking holes in paper. 

I agree with both of you, but even cops need to be responsible for every round leaving their weapon.  Not just shooting at something.  We can also bring up Amadou Diallo... 41 rounds fired, 19 hits and he did not have a gun.  He had a wallet. 

I am not discussing if the shooting was justified, I am simply saying that based on the marksmenship displayed by the avarage LEO in these cases and many others, the requirements for pistol qualification for LEO is clearly not difficult.  If they all passed and then proceeded to miss their targets, clearly the standard is not very high.  Following that line of thinking, along with observations of LEO is shooting classes vs non LEO, non .mil student I made a simple deduction that if the NJ CCW requirement was the same for citizens as it would be for LEO's most would not have a problem pasing the requiement.  I made a grossly exadurated joke to make my point.

You guys are using my example to argue a point I am not contesting.

Is it me, or something is seriously wrong with this forum? 

Somehow NJ civilians with CCW stay away from this place. 

Look, we live in state with 99% (or something like that) CCW approval, yet no one can answer simple OP question about NJ CCW qualification and say something like "done it, not a big deal"... :D

</sarcasm>

Nobody with a CCW will likely say how they got it because they'll probably lose it if they do. Unless they are LEO or armed security.