mikeyjones

Help me plan my purchases

So I have 3 fresh permits to use. The first one is going to a sig 226 in 40 cal.

The next one is 90% likely going to a 357 revolver (I don't have any wheel guns yet). I'm debating between the ruger gp100 or the sw 686. Probably 4" in either one and would prefer one without a lock so that leaves me either a used sw or the gp100. I'll have a month to debate this.

My biggest issue is what to get on the 3rd permit. I've been wanting a semicustom 1911. However the lead times are a year for some of the makers, so this permit wouldn't be valid then. I was thinking about doing a 1911 in 10mm for my bday next summer.

If I do go the custom 1911 route, what do I use this current permit on?

The next one is 90% likely going to a 357 revolver (I don't have any wheel guns yet). I'm debating between the ruger gp100 or the sw 686. Probably 4" in either one and would prefer one without a lock so that leaves me either a used sw or the gp100. I'll have a month to debate this.

I understand the stigma of having the " hillary hole " lock on s&w revolvers... Yes, I agree they are stupid, and can lock up randomly, but it doesnt take but 5 - 10 minutes to remove it, and it's gone forever. Go with the Smith, forget the ruger - you'll be much happier in the long run.  

So I have 3 fresh permits to use. The first one is going to a sig 226 in 40 cal.

My biggest issue is what to get on the 3rd permit. I've been wanting a semicustom 1911. However the lead times are a year for some of the makers, so this permit wouldn't be valid then. I was thinking about doing a 1911 in 10mm for my bday next summer.

If I do go the custom 1911 route, what do I use this current permit on?

Get a rock island 10mm tactical 2 and go from there

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

I understand the stigma of having the " hillary hole " lock on s&w revolvers... Yes, I agree they are stupid, and can lock up randomly, but it doesnt take but 5 - 10 minutes to remove it, and it's gone forever. Go with the Smith, forget the ruger - you'll be much happier in the long run.

Alec, I've thought about going that route but the problem is that probably voids the warranty. I'm not so much concerned with doing the work as I'm pretty handy. But I would like to have a warranty in tact just in case.

Exactly what Alec said... While the rugers are great guns, you can not debate (well some will always) how the 686 is a great piece of engineering!!!

Don't worry about the waiting period on the 1911's. You can get almost any one you want through one of the forums vendors or somewhere online! Can't go wrong with a Springfield, Kimber, Sig, etc...

Alec, I've thought about going that route but the problem is that probably voids the warranty. I'm not so much concerned with doing the work as I'm pretty handy. But I would like to have a warranty in tact just in case.

I doubt it would void any warranty. But if that concerns you simply put the lock back in if you ever find the need to send it in for service

Get a rock island 10mm tactical 2 and go from there

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

To be honest, I wanna stay with American made and far away from cheap parts. I want a high quality semi custom gun.

As far as makers for the 1911, I've just recently started looking at les baer, wilson combat, Ted Yost, Springfield custom shop, and nighthawk. There are probably a few that I'm missing but I wanna figure out the next purchases before going down that rabbit hole.

Alec what about adding a ruger security 6 to the mix?

No doubt ruger makes a tank of a gun, i've owned a few , and i've sold them all off ( except one - my LCR ) to buy more smith and wessons. 

If we are talking out of the box stock triggers, the rugers are absolutely atrocious in double action.... The smiths, still heavy - will be a bit smoother, and are worlds easier to work on and smooth / lighten out. 

The rugers I had worked on in the past were a pain in the ass to take apart, the parts market is weak compared to the smiths, and I absolutely hate the cylinder release on rugers. 

With my small revolver experience, I'd say S&W all the way. Any revolver I've shot, I tend to remember the S&W's.

In terms of a semi custom 1911, say you have one built and the estimate is 10-12months then buy something else with your 3rd permit and when 10-12months rolls around you can apply for more permits for the 1911 and anything else you want at that time.

Sti makes and american made 10mm 1911... It's called the Perfect 10. Or try to find a new colt delta elite

I'm not a fan of the Colt Delta, might be a good starting point for a build. 

Have you shot the STI? How would it stack up against any of the top end builders in terms of fit, finish, parts quality, accuracy, etc.  I've never had a 6" 1911, so I'm curious about that as well.

I'm not a fan of the Colt Delta, might be a good starting point for a build.

Have you shot the STI? How would it stack up against any of the top end builders in terms of fit, finish, parts quality, accuracy, etc. I've never had a 6" 1911, so I'm curious about that as well.

a long slode 1911 is definitely on my list. Never fired the perfect 10 but have shot other sti 1911's. Very nice. There is a lawman in my future...yes the name has something to do with it but they are also very nice guns

Why buy a custom 1911 unless you have $$$ coming out of your ears?

Most of that stuff is overpriced anyway as showpieces.   

If you want to spend that kind of $$$ why don't you get a competition pistol?

What do you consider a "competition" pistol? Many competitors use the 1911 or 2011 platform.  A lot of them are custom/semi-custom built.  

I'm not understanding your post.

Have you called the Springfield custom shop I have had the install sights and they were pretty quick. Give them a call and see what the wait is

Well the (semi)custom 1911 would be bday present to myself next year, congratulating myself on living another decade.  I was just planning ahead and the only reason I brought it up in this thread is so that no one would suggest getting one now =) I have 2 other 1911's that I shoot frequently.