njJoniGuy

Upcoming 600yd Prone Match

Trying to tell me something?

"Sorry, but that doesn’t tell me anything. If your target was at 400 yards, that’s pretty darn impressive. If your target was at 25 meters, you suck."

That was funny!

Anyway, thanks for the link, I will do some research, but I think I get it. My 7mm mag ammo, if zeroed at 100 yards, will drop roughly 30" at 600 yards (thanks for that graph Jon!). If I understand this correctly, and being that we are using the 1 MOA = 1" (I see the true # is 1.047, but we'll keep it simple), then I would need to adjust my scope about 30 MOA. I need to see what each click on my scope is worth, I have actually never used it yet! Would stink if I ran out of adjustment on it.

Just to let you guys know, you don't HAVE to shoot this 600yd match with a scope on your rifle and a bipod or bag up front.

About half of us will be shooting with iron sights (either rear apertures and front posts or front and rear apertures) and slings.

And for those with scopes, most are either 1/8 moa or 1/4 moa per click

My other rifle choices are old Mosins with surplus ammo, doubt the accuracy will be there, or my little CZ-527's, which are cute little carbines I bought for 100 yard and under plinking with iron sights. I'd like to take the Browning for a whirl. Doesn't do anything else except take-up space in the safe anyway!  :)

Trying to tell me something?

"Sorry, but that doesn’t tell me anything. If your target was at 400 yards, that’s pretty darn impressive. If your target was at 25 meters, you suck."

That was funny!

Anyway, thanks for the link, I will do some research, but I think I get it. My 7mm mag ammo, if zeroed at 100 yards, will drop roughly 30" at 600 yards (thanks for that graph Jon!). If I understand this correctly, and being that we are using the 1 MOA = 1" (I see the true # is 1.047, but we'll keep it simple), then I would need to adjust my scope about 30 MOA. I need to see what each click on my scope is worth, I have actually never used it yet! Would stink if I ran out of adjustment on it.

1 MOA = 1 " @ 100 yards, 6 " @ 600 yards.  so a 30 " drop @ 600 yards = 5 MOA (6 "/MOA )

MOA stands for "minutes of angle"  Each degree of an angle (360 off them in a circle) is further divided into 60 minutes.  It just so happens that an angle of one minute is almost exactly 1" high at 100 yards (actually 1.07").  So at 100 yards, a gun that shoots 1/2 MOA will shoot groups that are within 1/2" at 100 yards, 1" at 200 yards, 2" at 400 yards, etc. 

Scopes often have additional lines or dots that are 1 MOA apart.  If you know your bullet drop at 200 yds is 2MOA, you just move your point of aim to the 2MOA line under the regular cross hairs.  Because MOA works out to nice easy numbers to work with it's become the common unit of measure for long range shooting.  The other is mil-dot which uses milliradians to measure angles instead of minutes.

Thanks t-bill but I was looking for something about mils not MOA I will check out the video later

Google:http://www.google.com/#fp=54b78a9b0d3b5366&q=How%20do%20mil%20dots%20work&safe=off

http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide

http://www.chuckhawks.com/mil-dot_scopes.htm

Those were just the first two results.

EDIT: njpilot typed faster then me

Given that we shoot at known distances, on stationary targets, mil-dot knowledge is unnecessary and will scramble your brain during high power (non-sniper training) matches.

The match shooters' iron sights are set to known (to the shooter) click values of either 1/4 moa or 1/2 moa per click in a known direction.

Once you have a no-wind zero (for a specific target distance) a shooter may move his sights to account for wind and/or mirage conditions. Knowing when and how far to click during a match is a learned skill, one I am only now beginning to learn in my 7th year of high power shooting.

Don't let the minutia scare anyone off. Get your rifle set to a no-wind zero at a short (100-300 yd) range and add the proper elevation to get you on the paper at 600. You can (and probably will) make minor adjustments during the course of fire as you get feedback from the pits on where your shots are hitting.

It's important that you get your shots on the six-foot square target within a few shots of starting.

I'm down for that! I can miss just as good, or better, than the next person!  :)

Well, unless it is Alec next to me, that is one thing he can do better than me.  ;)

Are we squaded with other people? I may be able to bring a friend that will also shoot with me, not sure about finding a third, but I'll try.

In a typical (for this type match) 3-relay match, you'll be squadded with 2 other shooters.

At any particular point, one will be shooting, one will be scoring (behind the shooter) and one will be in the pits pulling and marking the target.

If you bring a friend and want to be squadded with him, let the match director know that when you sign in (which starts at 8) and he'll put a 3rd person with you.

I'm down for that! I can miss just as good, or better, than the next person!  :)

Well, unless it is Alec next to me, that is one thing he can do better than me.  ;)

Are we squaded with other people? I may be able to bring a friend that will also shoot with me, not sure about finding a third, but I'll try.

If I'm not working I'll squad with you

I am interested but I have to find out if either my brother or parents will let me stay with them for the weekend.

*Forgot about NJ's stupid rules, and since I don't have a FPID means I can't stay at my brothers place. fortunately my parents place is still officially my home of record so I believe I should be fine staying at their place, unless their is some special rules for out of state competitors so they can stay the night in NJ. Somebody please tell me that their is since my mother really does not like firearms, so she would not really like me bringing any over.

Edited by JSF01