peppers

unregistered pistols

friend of mines grandfather was a cop way back when and has his 2 service .38. from what i gather he isnt doing to well and my friend doesnt want those 2 guns lost in the system. he recently applied for his nj fid. what would have to happen for him to get those pistols since i guess way back in the day they didnt have the paperwork we have today?

Have his grandfather will them to him.

Added.....................

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.13 Firearms passing to heirs or legatees
(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of this subchapter concerning the transfer, receipt or
acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card
shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to their heir or
legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. A person so
acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:54-
1.5 and 1.6.
(b) If an heir or legatee is not qualified to acquire a firearm, he or she may retain ownership of
the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period of 180 days, which period may be extended by the
chief of police or the Superintendent. During such period the firearm must be placed in the custody
of the chief of police or Superintendent.
© In the case of assault firearms or machine guns disposition shall be in accordance with
N.J.A.C. 13:54-5.

Yes, his Grandfather can will them to him.  Pretty sure he doesn't even have to list each one in the will.  Otherwise, they would go to his Grandmother (if she is still alive).  She could will them to him, or he could get pistol permits and receive them.  You would have to check out the laws as to the succession of items in a will.  They might go from Grandmother to say his father, etc.  And, it's probable that he would not need permits if they were willed at the time of a death, but permit would be needed any other time.  I would suggest looking up the laws and/or talking with an attorney.   Definitely should get FID.  It's probably a good idea to have a will in place, anyway. 

Scenario 2 - husband divorces wife and leaves pistol in house with wife when he moves out. Years go by. Is there anything she can do with it besides a dreaded police buy back?

Was the gun purchased after NJ's de facto registration program (permits to purchase handguns) or before. 

If after, the gun was purchased by the husband and belongs to him.  The law does not make provision for transfers between couples without permits.

If before:  The husband and wife purchased the handgun out of their collective money.  I'd say he left and left her gun behind.

Of course, this is just my opinion.