wink-_-wink

Random Hobby Question

I am looking into getting another hobby.  I am keeping this as my main hobby but want a second maybe less expensive less legal question hobby.  Knitting is not up my alley so I am moving on past that kind of crap.  Honestly I think I am going to get into Metal Detectors.  We live by the shore and there is a TON of beach to detect. 

Can anyone make some recomendations on detectors (preferably cheap yet reliable).  Anyone do this and want to tell a cool story?  find anything awesome.  I don't plan on going out and finding a holy grail or anything just something to pass some time/relax a very hectic mind after a long day at work. 

I can't recommend a detector specifically, but it seems like a fun early-morning hobby before the beach groomers move in.  The best spots, I heard, are the day beaches like Seaside H. and such.  They say the day beaches are where visitors bring everything but the kitchen sink and much goodies fall out of pockets.  On the other hand, the beaches frequented by owners and weekly renters (most of LBI) don't yield so many goodies because the people only bring down the basics (no coins, diamond rings, etc)

Just a theory though.

You can also hunt for sea glass.  Red and yellow glass actually are/is prized by collectors.  It doesn't cost you anything to look, but you have to be on the sand at low tide early morning.

Honestly I work off shifts.  I come home and need a way to unwind.  I will be staying up in Belmar area for a while and I think this would be a great way to relax.  I hear it is very peaceful and relaxing.  Just you, your unit and the possibilityt to find cool stuff.  Finding stuff isnt why I am getting into this it is just a sweet little bonus. 

When I lost a $200 airsoft gun (5-7 btw), I used a metal detector to find it in the woods, which was good.

It's a pretty neat hobby. As is coin collecting, which I do---ACTUALLY, I'm sort of notorious for getting into a lot of different hobbies. For instance, I'm currently engineering some homemade airsoft equipment. XD

But metal detecting is cool--you just have to temper your expectations, I know that every time I go metal detecting, I start getting amped up like I'm going to find a chest full of gold or something. I do get a bunch of ads from a metal detector company, so if you're interested, send me a message, and I'll get some info for you.

I am looking into getting another hobby.  I am keeping this as my main hobby but want a second maybe less expensive less legal question hobby.  Knitting is not up my alley so I am moving on past that kind of crap.  Honestly I think I am going to get into Metal Detectors.  We live by the shore and there is a TON of beach to detect. 

Can anyone make some recomendations on detectors (preferably cheap yet reliable).  Anyone do this and want to tell a cool story?  find anything awesome.  I don't plan on going out and finding a holy grail or anything just something to pass some time/relax a very hectic mind after a long day at work. 

C'mon Man, Metel detectors, what are you 90? You might as well take up golf ;-)!...Pick something a little more exciting to go with your shooting: Motocycle, sailing, down hill racer ;-).

C'mon Man, Metel detectors, what are you 90? You might as well take up golf ;-)!...Pick something a little more exciting to go with your shooting: Motocycle, sailing, down hill racer ;-).

Hahaha I actually enjoy golf but that too is VERY expensive!  That is the main key here... It is something I can do on my own, with zero cost (other than buying the detector itself).  Cant afford a motorcycle or sailboat and renting is a waste of money.  At least with MDing theres the POSSIBILITY of some form of repayment... again not why I want to get into it but it would be awesome to find a few coins from the 1700s or maybe even some remnance from civil war era.. I am a history guy so that stuff interests me.... and you can not convince me that finding burried treasure is not exciting!  That is like every kids childhood pirate dream come true! 

Have you checked out South Jersey Metal Detecting Club http://www.sjmdc.org/? They also have a FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/69419118198/.

They are based out of Haddon Heights, NJ.

Also check out  http://www.fmdac.org/ lots of info there, even state park rules for many states.

Hahaha I actually enjoy golf but that too is VERY expensive!  That is the main key here... It is something I can do on my own, with zero cost (other than buying the detector itself).  Cant afford a motorcycle or sailboat and renting is a waste of money.  At least with MDing theres the POSSIBILITY of some form of repayment... again not why I want to get into it but it would be awesome to find a few coins from the 1700s or maybe even some remnance from civil war era.. I am a history guy so that stuff interests me.... and you can not convince me that finding burried treasure is not exciting!  That is like every kids childhood pirate dream come true! 

Sure, if you do a scuba dive in the Burmuda Triangle to get the treasure - tha'd be cool. But Monmouth Beach?

Obviously, Just kidding with you Buddy, whatever makes you happy :-). 

Well turns out my dad has 2 MDers and we are gunna go try it out this weekend.  I almost feel old but he assured me that it will do exactly what I want to get into it for.  I am actually pretty pumped to do this and make sure I like it before buying my own.  I know he goes with some other guys so he won't give me one of his but still its awesome to try somethin before you spend any money on it!!  He also said if I find a million dollar relic or something i have to split it with him... seems legit i guess lol

Interesting this came up here.  I just got my boy a Garrett Ace 250 with plans to take him treasure hunting next week.  Basically just to get him off the xbox and have some quality time together before school starts.  After watching a bunch of youtube videos about how they work, i'm pretty psyched to give it a try.

My dad says it is relaxing and there is a slight excitement when it starts going off and you dig up the find.  It isnt like I am doing to get rich but he said the stuff he has found more than paid for the 2 MDs he has.  He bought one for my mom and she REFUSES to go lol so him an I are going this weekend