Luke_WO

Help Choosing Ruger SR & Sig P226 Calibers

Got a call that my two P2P's are ready and available for pick up, so I will be heading to the police station tomorrow. I have pretty much decided that my purchases will be a Ruger SR and a Sig P226. The purpose of this thread is not to change my mind on that. The purpose is to decide on calibers. I only really need one handgun, but figured I may as well get 2 since getting the P2P's is such a hassle.

I am looking to purchase a 9mm and a .40 S&W. Both guns are available in both of these calibers. So, the question becomes, do I get the Ruger SR9 and the Sig P226 in .40, or do I get the Ruger SR40, and the Sig P226 in 9mm? I suppose it could just come down to personal preference, but having never owned a handgun before, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these guns and could offer any advice/suggestions/etc.

One of these guns will certainly be a "nightstand gun," and the other a backup with occasional range time. Should I consider the fact that the Ruger SR is double action only and the P226 has a single action option when deciding which should sit next to the bed? Not sure if DA/SA is more a personal preference when it comes to home defense, or if one type of trigger is more beneficial in a home defense situation.

Sorry for the long-winded post, just wanted to give all the necessary background and context. Any input you guys have would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The SR 40 has a 15 round mag so no need to do any conversions to the mags. I have an SR40c and an SR45. My wife has an SR40. All great guns. I aslo have the Sig 226 in 9mm. Bought mine in 1989 and have never had an issue with it. You cant go wrong with either way you chose.

Luke,

Have you had the chance to shoot these two models, and compare them to the many other options out there?

Just wondering why you have chosen these two specific guns.

Have not shot either one. I have handled an SR9 (friend of mine has one) and I really loved the size, handle, grip, weight, etc.. I also love the price. And from what I've read, both the SR9 and SR40 shoot well, and while there is SOME recoil difference between the two, it's what should be expected from a 9mm and a .40.

The P226 I just kind of want. Haha. From what I've read, they're quickly becoming a popular sidearm of choice for the military (see Bin Laden raid), and more and more PD's are starting to carry them. I also like that it doesn't have an external safety switch, unlike the SR, which has an ambidextrous safety. Change of pace, and a possible factor when considering it as a HD weapon.

I'm definitely not knocking your choices, they are both fine firearms (especially the 226). I just want to strongly suggest that you go to one of the ranges that rents guns and try them out before dropping the coin and burning the permits. I speak from experience on that subject.

I secodd (or third, or fifth, whatever) the suggestion to rent them all first.  

With that said, my vote would be the SR40, with the 226 in 9mm.  My experience with the SR platform (having shot 9, 40 and 45) is that it's a softer felt recoil, so the SR40 would feel lighter than the 226 in 40.  Either would be fine in the 9mm.  

My $.02.

My experience with the SR platform (having shot 9, 40 and 45) is that it's a softer felt recoil, so the SR40 would feel lighter than the 226 in 40. Either would be fine in the 9mm.

My $.02.

A really good point. Not that I mind recoil, in fact I tend to embrace it, but I suppose with handguns it's a different phenomenon than having a 12 gauge kick back into your shoulder. Probably affects accuracy a bit more with a handgun.

I know the smart thing to do is to rent first, but the simple answer is, I just haven't had the time. Hopefully I can squeeze in some range time before the window on these P2P's starts to dwindle. This summer has been unbelievably hectic with work.

I bought a Sig 226 classic beavertail (22 lr) about six months ago. I just found thanks to this forum a 9mm x-change kit.

That is by far the way to go. Both combined cost me a little under $900. Which is ok in these inflated times.

The 9 mm kit comes with a 15 round mag. the 22 has 2 10 rounders. I took it down to CR last week and ran 100 22lr rounds and about 30 9mm rounds through it.

Flawless. It is my new HD gun sending my Kimber to the safe.

226 in any caliber plus the caliber conversion kits for the other available calibers. Then you have 9mm, .40, & .357 sig and .22

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This. Bought the .22 classic, sold the .22 upper and bought the 9mm and .40 uppers. Compared them at the range to a factory 226 9mm and they were identical.

I'm into the whole package for less than $900 and I can shoot 2 calibers (and interchange mags with a pistol caliber carbine I have).

If you are in central jersey I would be happy to let you try it out.

226 in any caliber plus the caliber conversion kits for the other available calibers. Then you have 9mm, .40, & .357 sig and .22

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

get the P226 in .22lr, then get the larger caliber xchange kit for it, you save about $300 that way.

Tony.............

This. Bought the .22 classic, sold the .22 upper and bought the 9mm and .40 uppers. Compared them at the range to a factory 226 9mm and they were identical.

I'm into the whole package for less than $900 and I can shoot 2 calibers (and interchange mags with a pistol caliber carbine I have).

If you are in central jersey I would be happy to let you try it out.

The 226 is one of the most versatile guns. That fact that you can shoot 4 calibers on one frame is awesome. I also will say that getting the 22lr version as Tony suggested is the way to go. I also believe he has them in stock at a great price.

I have shot, owned the 226 in all of the calibers. I liked it in 9 and 40. I changed the slide when I wanted to shoot another caliber. Great gun and I would personally choose it over the ruger.

Seems to be a consensus on buying it in .22 and getting a conversion kit. Or kits. Haha.

What exactly goes into the conversion? Are there a lot of moving parts? Can I do it myself, even if I'm not so mechanically inclined? I see videos online of people basically just swapping out slides onto the same frame, but I'm not sure if that's the actual conversion, or if that's what you do once you've already done something else.

Sorry, handguns are kind of outside my realm of knowledge.

Also, I'm assuming you don't need a P2P in order to purchase a conversion kit, but I could obviously be wrong. Someone help me out on that. If I need a P2P, then I'll wait til next time to get it because I want both the Sig and the Ruger for now.

It is as simple as taking the slide off and replacing it with another caliber. Takes 5 seconds. Google sig exchange kit.

No you dont need a permit for the kit. Thats part of whats great about it, you can shoot 4 different calibers and only burn 1 permit.

Also, I'm assuming you don't need a P2P in order to purchase a conversion kit, but I could obviously be wrong. Someone help me out on that. If I need a P2P, then I'll wait til next time to get it because I want both the Sig and the Ruger for now.

if you get the sig .40, you can get a 357sig barrel to shoot 357sig ammo.

then it'll be real real loud

Swap the slide and the mag and your done. The 226 is so simple to swap slides on it's a joke. I must admit I am not a huge fan of the fat grip.

I'm used to a 1911 and my S&W shield. But the thing holds 15 rds so I'll learn to get used to it. The problem I have is my vision is poor. I'm far sighted. So I lose the dots on the 22 sight.

The 9mm is ok though.