Sign in to follow this  
mipafox

News from your Neighbors - PA Bloomsburg Fair

Guns banned at Bloomsburg Fair on Recommendation of US DHS *spit* *boom*

August 29

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130829/NEWS90/130829733

BLOOMSBURG, Pa. (AP) — Officials in central Pennsylvania say guns will be banned at this year's Bloomsburg Fair.Bill Barratt, Bloomsburg's superintendent of police and parking, says the ban is intended to assure the safety of people attending the Sept. 21-28 event.He told The (Bloomsburg) Press Enterprise (http://bit.ly/15ilwWP ) that a domestic argument or a misfire could harm bystanders in the expected crowd of 80,000.

Barratt said he expects some criticism but decided on the ban after consulting with state and federal officials.

Barratt said he couldn't recall any instances of gunfire at the fair, although there have been a few stabbings.

Oops, so sorry! Guns allowed again!

September 3

After getting hundreds of boycott threats, angry emails, and calls, a controversial decision has been reversed."Proper permits with a firearm will be allowed on the fairgrounds - even though I'm going against the recs from homeland security," said Bill Barrett, the Bloomsburg Security director.After he first announced the gun ban, Barrett spent a full day on the phone explaining to angry members of the community, why a gun ban was necessary."People do not like change. You can't satisfy everybody," he said.

Are there standing recommendations by the DHS concerning municipal and county fairs? Or was the DHS specifically consulting on the security for the Bloomsburg Fair? Either way, I guess it is way past time to be scared of the growing scope of Federal "concern" when they are actually paying people to analyze fairground security best practices.

After getting hundreds of boycott threats, angry emails, and calls, a controversial decision has been reversed."Proper permits with a firearm will be allowed on the fairgrounds - even though I'm going against the recs from homeland security," said Bill Barrett, the Bloomsburg Security director.After he first announced the gun ban, Barrett spent a full day on the phone explaining to angry members of the community, why a gun ban was necessary."People do not like change. You can't satisfy everybody," he said.

This is why I keep telling people that there is no need to worry about NJ style gun laws will reaching PA... Philly is one thing... But west of Philly people value guns... And will let people know about it...

I was in Allentown over the weekend. My girlfriend and I were going to swing by the Allentown fair. After seeing the "No weapons" sign I figured my money would be better spent somewhere else.

I was in Allentown over the weekend. My girlfriend and I were going to swing by the Allentown fair. After seeing the "No weapons" sign I figured my money would be better spent somewhere else.

So, you are not going to get them to change it? Like they did in Bloomsburg?

Interesting.

New Jersey - Better to Curse the Darkness than Light a Candle. That's why we will always suck and only cops can defend their families.

So, you are not going to get them to change it? Like they did in Bloomsburg?

Interesting.

New Jersey - Better to Curse the Darkness than Light a Candle. That's why we will always suck and only cops can defend their families.

Huh? I was there half an hour before opening on the second to last day. Who was I going to complain to? The ticket attendant making minimum wage? I'm sure that would make waves to fix the place.

Instead I voted with my wallet and spent the day relaxing with my girlfriend and M&P else where. Besides that fair looked like nothing we wanted to deal with.

I see no one from pafoa doing anything about it. Hell they are still giving them their money by attending.

Huh? I was there half an hour before opening on the second to last day. Who was I going to complain to? The ticket attendant making minimum wage? I'm sure that would make waves to fix the place.

Instead I voted with my wallet and spent the day relaxing with my girlfriend and M&P else where. Besides that fair looked like nothing we wanted to deal with.

I see no one from pafoa doing anything about it. Hell they are still giving them their money by attending.

Like I said, if you plan to do nothing, you have no right to complain!

Like I said, if you plan to do nothing, you have no right to complain!

I'm not complaining.  Its private property, the owner can do as they please.  They have that an anti-gun mindset, I won't line their pockets.  I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here other than the "I'm from PA so we are better than NJ" mentality.