Sign in to follow this  
T Bill

Cabelas Update

After a visit to family in central PA, a sidebar trip to Cabelas was a required stop.  First off, shotgun ammo is $60/case for Herters and $70/case for Rio, and up from there.  Shelves for loaded ammo were sparse.  Cheapest .223/5.56 was $8.99/20, PMC Bronze.  No 22LR of any quantity or otherwise.  Reloading section was equally sparse.  One pound containers only for powder with no variety to speak of.  CCI primers were available for $40/1000.  Berry's 9MM 115RN $28/250, 124RN $33/250.  Large selection of long guns, but, the counter was not busy at all.

Used gun rack had a generous selection, however quality was missing.  The store was not busy at all.  The bargain cave was unusually low on stock.  Overall, felt prices have ticked up another notch. 

I would not have even stopped if I knew it would be so disappointing.  Things maybe getting better marketwise, but today at Cabelas, the cupboard was bare.

I was there 2 weeks ago when the opened on a Friday morning.  Lots of customers but not real busy.  There was already a 30 minute wait at the gun counter.   Ammo shelves were well stocked but prices were higher than I can get on the internet so I skipped ammo.

I didn't realize we had a Cabelas thread here.

I went friday afternoon and ammo selection was not bad, but as everyone else stated, expensive. There was CCI Mini mag .22 for $8 a box, a pretty good price in these times but they were limiting 1 per person. I don't shoot it too much so I figured out a way to buy 6 boxes just to have on the side cause my gf likes .22. Cheapest 9mm was 15.99 and .45 was at like $22 I think.

Guns were up there. The used guns were just as much. I am still unsure how they want me to pay $600 for a beat to crap pump shotgun from the 60's.

They have fall/winter clothes stocked well.

I picked up some clays and a couple other goodies. 

I was passing through stopped in MD at the Arundel Mills Bass Pro Shop on Saturday.  Maryland's new gun laws kick in in October and there are permitting issues and a transition issue I understand. I was looking for powder, but to do that I needed to get a ticket to wait for a sales person at the gun counter. I picked up number 112, at noon, the currently serving number was 62!  I talked to an employee, he told me don't even wait, they'll never get to you this afternoon!  He figured 45 minutes per sale and they only had 10 sales people! The sales guy said it has been like that 7 days a week open to close for a month already!

In other words, Bass Pro Shops had guns, but way too many buyers! I never did find out if there was actually any powder in stock.

I feel for the folks in MD, they are getting a strong taste of NJ lawmaking. I hope there is a backlash.

BTW, they did have lots of air guns for easy sales out in the racks. Of course, 75% are considered assault weapons in NJ...

i was at cabelas in PA on 8/30 and bought a bunch on of herters .223 for $6 a box, federal 3"mag pheasant loads for 22 and herters .40 for $16. i saw a used wood mossberg 500 in 20 guage with 2 barrels and a scope for 275. i REALLY regret not getting it to make for a perfect nj slug gun.