JoeTK37

Complete Uppers? Locally?

Ok, as I've got my build going I'm starting to look for an upper.  I'm not opposed to building it from scratch, but not entirely sure what parts list I would need, and can't seem to find any shop local to Bergen County that has everything in stock currently.

Heres what I'm looking for:

16"+, its going to be a range gun.  Its my first and purely a "toy".  I'd love Sub-MOA but we'll get to that later.

Capable at 200-300yds if I ever get to shoot at that distance.

I'd like to find a local shop that has all the stuff, if you have recomendations let me know.

CHEAP, looking to go $600 and under(which I realize may throw the Sub-MOA out the window, oh well).

I did see this from PSA:  http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14416/s/ptac-16-m4-1-7-5-56-nato-yhm-rifle-length-diamond-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/

Now I realize its not chrome lined and its 1/7 so it'll probably work better with the higher grain weights, but its sooo cheap and includes the BCG etc.  So it leaves room for some good optics hhmmmmm.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

Roger that on shipping.  But, when on sale, very hard to beat.  PSA uses FN barrels so that's always a plus.  Have had 4 from PSA, all have been good.  Use JSE Surplus also, they use Wilson Arms barrels, they're good also.  No problems with them either.

Heres what I'm looking for:

16"+, its going to be a range gun.  Its my first and purely a "toy".  I'd love Sub-MOA but we'll get to that later.

Doesn't that depend more on the shooter than on the rifle?

Look within Joe... that's not something that you can "buy" on the cheap ; )

You're on a strange quest... but it's cool that your building. I just don't understand the motivation aside from the word "CHEAP".

But to each his own, so the more power to you for doing it your own way. But are you sure that you'll truly be satisfied with your rifle after it's actually been built?

Check out Ottomanelli's right next door to the woodland park range

+1 on OSA.

Plus, there aren't a whole lot of other choices up here in Bergen County - other than Ramsey Outdoor. But I can't really see Ramsey Outdoor working with you the way that you'll specifically need them to.

So maybe give OSA a chance to take a look at your wish-list. They may actually be able to start checking-off some items on your list right away for you.

It's either that, or travel. Or........ <shudder> the internet  : o

;  )

I checked around locally and there was nothing in stock, long back orders.  Unfortunately thats giving me time to reconsider a bunch of stuff which just gets more and more confusing.  Scanning the marketplace and the online vendors as I try to figure out whats going to be best for me.  And I keep thinking, maybe I really need to build TWO AR's:

1 CQB style, carbine length, M4 stock, 16" .223 and then swap it over to a 14.5" 300blk :onthequiet: perhaps a red dot or 1-4x optic

1 Long Range, mid length, Magpul A2 stock, 16" or 18" .223 with a 3-9 or 4-12x scope, more of the bench gun(the new Midwest PX railed set ups look NICE!!!!!)

Also, since I hate noise I was looking at the Levang Linear comp, anyone have any experience with it?  I'd much rather deal with more recoil than the concussive blast it seems is so common from most of the popular comps.  

OSA has plenty of the parts in stock except barrels. They have uppers and lowers. Don't know why you keep saying there are none locally around.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Search "levang" on the forum. I've tried bringing this topic up before. Its not a topic that gets focused on. Noise comes with the territory in this hobby. I still am committed to putting a linear comp on my next rifle but that puts me in the minority