barbaricbean

Looking for Handgun Training

Greetings, I'm brand new to the NJ Gun Forums..joined today!  This post is about training.  I'm a novice for sure.  Been to Brick Armory range a number of times with my FNX 9mm and completed a First Pistol class with an NRA instructor.  Want to advance, though, and this guy never returned my calls or emails.  Movin' on.  I want someone to bring me from my novice position to where I can shoot fast and accurate, eventually from a holster.   I live in Monmouth County, NJ, on the beautiful Jersey shore.  Would appreciate any information and/or names.  I will do the rest.  Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. It's a bit of a ride for you, but Heritage Guild in Easton, PA just opened their new tactical range. The instructors there are very good too. You may want to check them out. I'm a member and have some guest passes if you want to meet there one day. Weekends are best though I do try to get there some Friday afternoons too.

Welcome.  I've done the training classes at GunsForHire but they are pretty far north for you.  They used to offer training at multiple locations.

I've heard good things about MDTS.  They offer training at a variety of locations but mostly at Barnegat, NJ.  I'm hoping they offer training at Old Bridge again as that is closer to me.  You just missed their Practical Pistol Skills which was this past Saturday though and I don't see anything on their calendar for the rest of the year in NJ.

Look thru the forum sponsors though as there are a few others in there.  You can go thru the feedback for each training companies.  It looks like Green Academy of Personal Protection is also down south but I've never dealt with them.

I just took a carbine class with Joe Reidy at S&T. I highly recomend him. I have taken classes from EAG, VTAC, H&K, Trident, Blackwater, Blackrock, Spartan Tactical, Invictus, along with some real crappy classes, and I rank Joe up there with the top guys.

Affordable, close, reasonable round count, and just good personable instructor. He gives a "why" as well as a "how" and touches on all aspects of shooting - mindset, equipment, gear setup, methods - not just pulling a trigger. He also gives drills to take home and practice that have a time and accuracy standard to strive for, so you can continue to develop your skills.

He has a basic pistol class coming up in October in Bethlehem PA, just over the border. I am seriously thinking of attending myself, I have been concentrating way too much on my rifle and not nearly enough on my pistol skills.

http://www.sightsandtrigger.com/Home.html

October 26, VSM Basic Pistol, Steel City Gun Club, Bethlehem PA

Oh sure, don't invite me shooting on Friday with you and Checko, but ask me to do this. I see how it is ;)

I am assuming the $150 like Saturdays class was. I am going to email Joe tomorrow and find out. I will let you know.

Awwwwe You have an open invitation 

Thanks for all the great responses! But some of the training recommended are in PA. Too far. I have limited time b/c I own and operate a busy cafe on the Jersey shore. Does this guy Joe Reidy travel to train or must you go to him in Bethlehem?

Everyone is busy. You need to make the time or spend more money if you want good training. You are already going to train for 8 hours, what is another 2:00 in round trip travel matter. You are spending $150 for the class, $200 for ammo, why not get the best bang for your buck (pun intended) even if it puts you out a little for driving? Get a couple of friends involved and make a day of it. How far do you drive to shoot now and how long do you shoot for when you are there without an instructor actually teaching you?

It was an easy 1:20 drive from Sayreville to Bethlehem. That is with stops for picking up a bud and packing his stuff in my car, stopping at DD for breakfast to go, getting gas, and picking up sandwiches for lunch. The range is literally right over the border, maybe 10 minutes past the Delaware. Unless you are training in your backyard it doesn't get much better than that.

I did hear back from the MDTS director, a Mr. Fry, and infortunately it is not going to work, primarily due to the distance between where his training center is and where I live.  Am looking now at Gun for Hire.

I would urge you to wait until the spring/summer and take a class with Chris/MDTS.

I have been taking his classes for 3 or 4 years now.  Every summer I take his pistol, carbine 1 and carbine 2 classes and will continue to do so as long as he continues to offer them.  This year I missed his pistol class because of a family function and let me tell you, I was a giant baby about it.  I would have rather been at the class.  I have taken classes with other local instructors and I find his teaching method and material to be the best I have been exposed to.

My wife has taken a class with him, and so have my parents.  Everyone learned a lot and enjoyed every minute of it.  I find just as much value in his class, having already taken many, as my wife did having taken none.