boo

ugh, I wish I hadn't rented a Sig!

I'm wondering about those exchange kits. So for example, is your p229 with a .40 exchange kit exactly identical to a factory .40 caliber p229? Or is there some sort of reliability or ammo pickiness issue? 

Per Sig, the frames are the same.  The exchange kits just include barrel, slide and mag.  It converts in about 15 seconds.  

The day I bought my P229 classic in .22LR I swapped it out to a .40S&W and its been totally reliable.  Bought some extra mags and it's been a great shooter.  So much so that the .22LR kit has never had a round through it.  I figured .22LR would always be available if I wanted some cheap trigger time - oops.  As it worked out the .40S&W was easier to get (though definitely not as cheap).  

As an aside, today was the first day since the crazy ammo times started that I was able to get CCI Minimags at the range.  Limited supply but at least they had some.   

Still being without FID I've been relying on rentals to hone my skills. I usually shoot a Springfield XD9, but it was out so I decided to try out the Sig P229 just for the heck of it. I thought, "No chance in hell I'm buying a $1000 gun. Let me just try this thing out so I'll know that it isn't any better than guns half the price". Wrong! I couldn't have been more accurate with this gun if I had walked up to the target and poked holes in it by hand. The E2 grip felt really good, and I thinking the metal frame helped soak up the recoil. I already have an XD9 enroute, but a P229 will be my next purchase (better starting digging in the sofa for extra coins).

Anyone have an opinion on beavertailed models, e.g. enhanced elite? I did a general search on the 'net and seem to get conflicting opinions. I love the look, won't be carrying it. But my main concern is that it might force a lower grip on the gun.

In the same situation as you, I have rented both.  I'm set on the standard P226 9mm.  It will be my 1st, upon FID and permits.