Sign in to follow this  
7-3-2

First AR .. build vs buy?

So I already purchased a Mag Tactical lower and am planning on picking up the Mag Tactical parts kit this week from my local shop. This would be my first ever AR-15 and I've never even shot one before, do you guys think I m in over my head attempting to build one? My dilemma is that I don't have the cash to drop on a finished piece right now so I figured I'd put it together a little bit at a time plus I'd get familiar with the platform this way. Is this the wrong approach and am I risking injury by attempting to build an AR without any previous experience? In other words, how difficult is it exactly, I'm not a knucklehead and figure there are tons of helpful videos on youtube/brownells etc. Thanks!

ARs are extremely easy to put together.  Source quality parts and they'll drop in like a puzzle.  Most people build their own lowers and buy complete uppers then later on, build their own upper from parts should they want to build another (they don't call it Black Rifle Disease for nothin' , y'know).  The reason why uppers are typically purchased complete initially is because they do require some special tools such as a barrel nut wrench to assemble.  Lowers, on the other hand, can be put together with little more than a couple punches.

Thanks Midwest! I was just doing some research on google and there is a bunch of posts saying its not smart to build your own. Ill definitely purchase a complete upper the first time around if thats what will make things the easiest/safest. Now as far as NJ legal complete uppers, is there anyone out there that specializes in this or am I just ordering any upper that will meet the minimum length and has the option of a fixed muzzle?

Its the way to go. Get out your Google-fu and search this site, plenty of good info here. Remember, there are no stupid questions here. It's your decision to determine how much effort you want to put into your build.  I fail to see how you could screw up an upper build given all the information available.  You will need that barrel wrench and a head space gauge ( I really like to check that myself). All the rest are common tools.   Remember you have friends here willing to help!  Good Luck!

Its the way to go. Get out your Google-fu and search this site, plenty of good info here. Remember, there are no stupid questions here. Good Luck!

Thanks man, Google is the WORST! I'm imagining the naysayers on this subject are kind of the equivalent of people who will tell you that a pinched nerve could = a heart attack if you were to search the symptoms. I love the fact that I can come on here an get some good genuine advice from guys who know what I'm talking about.

I'd say go with building.  I'm in the middle of my first build right now.  So far the hardest part has been figuring out the parts list, mainly because there are so many options and I don't know what I want.  The AR is pretty modular so almost everything 'works' together.  You definitely learn a lot more about the internal workings by researching the parts and putting them all together.  Plus you get exactly the rifle you want instead of shelling out $$ for an off the shelf rifle and then modifying it.

ITS Tactical has a pretty good tutorial HERE.  Explains the parts and the tools (many are optional).

Here's another good one for the lower on AR15.com.

If you read through the above and think "Yeah, I can do that".. then build.  Even if you have doubts/questions, there are plenty of folks here that can help answer.

Definitely build the lower. I went that route, and besides having to pin the stock, its kitchen table assembly. Or if you're Vlad, do it on your lap while watching Black Hawk Down. The only specialized tool you'll need for the lower is a castle nut wrench for an adjustable stock (which has to be pinned).But you can get them in AR-15 combo tools with the barrel nut wrench. 

Assemble your own lower, purchase a complete upper. If you can follow instructions and put a Lego set together and have the ability to hammer a nail without amputating any fingers, you can put a lower together.

For the upper, you just have to worry about the minimum length (16"), has to have a shaved bayonet lug and a fixed/welded comp.

Some vendors offer compliance work at an additional cost but you can still purchase a complete upper with NO compliance work from an online merchant and then do the compliance work later. The only problem you'll run into is if you have all of the parts to build an AR in your house and some of those components are not compliant. In other words, you can buy a NON-COMPLIANT upper with a bayo lug and unpinned flash hider and keep it in your house all day long as long as you don't have the rest of the components to finish building the rifle. The moment you take possession of the lower, since you'll now have everything you need to build a non-compliant AR, you will be breaking the law.

DO NOT bring in a complete AR to a gunsmith to do compliant work, do the upper and lower separately.

Thanks guys!! I feel confident that I will be able to build a pretty awesome lightweight rifle now .. this Mag Tactical lower is ridiculously lightweight and I'm just going to run with it now. As far as uppers, I guess since I already have the lower and LPK on I'll have to be smart and only order compliant uppers in order to avoid any issue with the law. So 16 inches is the minimum length, fixed muzzle and no bayonet lug and I'm good to go?

Excuse my limited knowledge but the 16" limit is the barrel or the whole upper?

I just recently bought a stripped lower. Since this is a budget build ,I shopped around on the Internet for a "affordable" lower parts kit over the weekend.I found 1 at cheaper then dirt .com .only to my surprise they would not ship it to NJ because the parts kit includes a pistol grip .. Is this policy unique to CTD.COM or is this what I can expect to run into if I try to get my parts online???

I just recently bought a stripped lower. Since this is a budget build ,I shopped around on the Internet for a "affordable" lower parts kit over the weekend.I found 1 at cheaper then dirt .com .only to my surprise they would not ship it to NJ because the parts kit includes a pistol grip .. Is this policy unique to CTD.COM or is this what I can expect to run into if I try to get my parts online???

Thats not normal imo, again I'm new to this as well but most LPK's include pistol grips from what I've seen and this includes the one that I'm getting from the FFL this week.

Thanks guys!! I feel confident that I will be able to build a pretty awesome lightweight rifle now .. this Mag Tactical lower is ridiculously lightweight and I'm just going to run with it now. As far as uppers, I guess since I already have the lower and LPK on I'll have to be smart and only order compliant uppers in order to avoid any issue with the law. So 16 inches is the minimum length, fixed muzzle and no bayonet lug and I'm good to go?

Excuse my limited knowledge but the 16" limit is the barrel or the whole upper?

16" would be the barrel including muzzle device. Example: 14.5" barrel with a muzzle brake perm attached bringing it to 16"+ is legal

That doesn't seem normal.. though I'm not surprised, CTD doesn't have the best reputation in that respect.  Check out PSA, they have some really good deals on LPK's.

When you order the upper, some people have it shipped directly to the gunsmith doing the compliant work. This is the safest path IMO unless you're buying the lower after the upper. Some have it shipped to their parents or friend's house where there isn't a lower to mate it with which keeps you legal. They just both can't be in the same place otherwise, constructive intent. Some people don't care because big brother isn't watching everyone right?

/imnotalawyer

I put my AR together on my lap while watching tv with a small hammer and a screwdriver (used as a punch)....I'm ghetto like that....

Ar15 is obnoxiously easy to put together...

Lol me too I was watching Monday night football. :)

whats the deal with piston vs gas tube in a ar

Just different ways to cycle the action.  Piston fans like that you don't blow back a ton of carbon and crap into the receiver.  However, pistons have their own set of problems like carrier tilt, added weight, higher price tag, and lack of interchangeable/standardized parts.  I like piston driven actions when using a suppressor but my primary suppressed carbine is a DI gun with a gas vent replacing the forward assist.

whats the deal with piston vs gas tube in a ar

piston fans are trying to solve a problem that does not exist by taking a gun that has a huge amount of readily available interchangeable parts with 80 million other preexisting ARs, and replacing those common parts with far more application specific parts...

The only problem you'll run into is if you have all of the parts to build an AR in your house and some of those components are not compliant. In other words, you can buy a NON-COMPLIANT upper with a bayo lug and unpinned flash hider and keep it in your house all day long as long as you don't have the rest of the components to finish building the rifle. The moment you take possession of the lower, since you'll now have everything you need to build a non-compliant AR, you will be breaking the law.

So.. what if I have a separate, already-complete AR sitting in the safe.  If I receive a non-compliant upper or stock on my lower or whatever am I breaking the law even though I don't have the parts to finish that specific rifle? 

So.. what if I have a separate, already-complete AR sitting in the safe.  If I receive a non-compliant upper or stock on my lower or whatever am I breaking the law even though I don't have the parts to finish that specific rifle? 

In your scenario, will you have all the parts readily available to put together a non-compliant AR? What's stopping you from separating the already-complete AR and mate that lower with the new non-compliant AR?

Don't over-think this. Most people don't worry about this sort of stuff because what are the chances right? In the end, it's your choice.

In your scenario, will you have all the parts readily available to put together a non-compliant AR? What's stopping you from separating the already-complete AR and mate that lower with the new non-compliant AR?

Don't over-think this. Most people don't worry about this sort of stuff because what are the chances right? In the end, it's your choice.

Without a doubt this is purely what-if scenario and I fully acknowledge I'm over-thinking it.