illy

Home/Self Defense

How do you balance the personal safety of your entire family -- during the 99.99999% of the time that zombies are not breaking your door down -- with the ability to defend yourself at home?

Here are some factors I came up with:

high/low crime area

presence of young, inquisitive kids

presence of someone with emotional problems

alcohol and/or drug use

alarm systems or other security measures

training level

I'm a relatively new gun owner I'm interested in your input.

training level

I'm a relatively new gun owner I'm interested in your input.

This is my biggest pet peeve with a lot of gun enthusiasts.... We buy a gun.... We stand on a line on a bright sunny afternoon with a Q target 25 ft away and shoot out the Q.. And we are all set....

Giving no consideration to the extreme violence that an individual is capable of inflicting when they have nothing to lose....

Giving no consideration to the fact that you may be physically involved with an attacker before even being able to draw a weapon...

Being a good shooter is a fraction of self defense... I have been in my fair share of fights (never with a firearm)... And I spent several years working with my martial arts instructor on combative / self defense style fighting.... I am FAR from an expert... But we covered a lot of bare handed... Knife and weapon scenarios... And the big emphasis... How unpredictable violence can be.... We would run endless amounts of different scenarios... And all I can say is unless you are working on the physical also.... Your ability to defend yourself is greatly reduced....

The unexpected is really the key in being prepared....

We would do things like the following...

You are rolling around with someone... Get complete control... And the instructor would tap another student to jump in simulating that friend you didn't notice standing in the corner....

Or you would be on top of someone and they would pull a training gun or knife that you had no idea they had...

Always knowing there was an unexpected element possible it forced you to be more aware....

Real life training is almost non existant. You really need scenario training to see how fast things really happen. Stress and the fast pace of real life situations will humble you real quick.

I agree, There are a number of home defense rifle and pistol classes you can take. I am coordinating one in a few weeks and will be coordinating another one in april (part of a 3 part series for the Carbine and pistol) there is no good substitute for training. 

I may speak to the instructor and see about doing a more in depth home defense class next year as well.