M4BGRINGO

OBRPC IDPA 11/10/13

Looking to try this event this Sunday with a friend, what kind of round count and equipment is needed? Never did IDPA before, only USPSA. What type of holster to use? Mag holders, etc.... Rules are shoot from cover, correct? No partial mag/mooncip dropping allowed?

I'd go with you but I'll be at my son's in Wyomissing, PA.

Generally a lower round-count since stage design is allowed 18 rounds max.  Revolvers need to be 4" barrels or shorter.  Since it's your first time, they won't make you wear a cover garment from which to draw your concealed hand gun.  Gun goes on strong side hip, and mags go on either side at the hips or behind (like Production Division in USPSA).  Shoot and reload from behind cover.  Run the gun dry, then dump the mags or shells.  OWB holsters are very popular, and so are off-duty style mag pouches made of leather.  You can use what you already have in most cases (at a local Match) and learn about the sport.  Really nice bunch of guys and gals.  Guy who runs it is a fb friend of mine.  Remember to "slice the pie" and to not shoot out in the open.

Stage design involves everyday activities being interrupted by Perps, so there are some stages where you draw while seated.  Be sure to NOT cross yourself when you do this so you don't DQ!

Have a great time Mike!

Dave

http://www.obdogs.com/

It's 8 Stages, 120 rounds.  Bring at least 150.

If you've never done IDPA before, bring an OWB holster.  You don't need a concealment garment.  For semi autos bring 3 mags (most likely will only need 2).

50% of your body should be behind cover.  Mostly keep your legs behind cover and lean out to shoot.  Basically shoot 'till you're empty then reload (behind cover).

Have not done it at Old Bridge, but have at other places.  No fancy USPSA holsters, a normal holster that one would use for concealed carry is required.  You need a long shirt or vest as you must have gun and mag pouches concealed.  You must shoot from cover where available or shot while moving forward or backward unless otherwise stated.  You must also shoot in tactical order - ie shoot them as you see them.  No dropping of magazines unless from a slide lock.  Also new rules only allow for one step while changing mags from behind cover, sort of like a pivot foot in basket ball.  Suggest you go to the IDPA site for specific rules.  Also to shoot SSP (similar to production) gun must fit into a wooden box to make sure it does not exceed allowed size.  Very different than USPSA but can also be a lot of fun.

Rosie, I'll talk to you about the IDPA event tomorrow night at your PPC event. Cheryl and I will be there as usual. Maybe with cookies............

Anyway, as far as the IDPA event. I don't have much in the way of holsters or mag holders since I don't use them much. My revolvers are all 6" or longer....... I could use my CZ75, I have a holster for that one but no mag holders. Can I simply throw the mags in my pants pockets and/or jacket pockets? I'm not concerned with time, just looking to have some fun. Same goes for the revolver and moonclips, can throw them in my jacket pockets and have a holster for it. I do have one revolver in 4" but don't think I have a holster for it nor speed loaders. I suck with it, really do, don't even like that gun, but I could use it if size matters................ At times I just want to throw the gun at the targets!   :)

I'll bring my bag-of-tricks tonight, and let you borrow what ever equipment you'll need (that I have, that is).  I have speed-loader holders that are IDPA compliant.

See you tonight!

Dave

Rosie, it was a BLAST! I think I may have been the only wheelgun shooter there. It seems like it is a lost forgotten piece of history............What safer night stand weapon is there than a stock D/A revolver? I think my trigger pull is 14lbs, no accidents in the house with that one!  :)

Anyway, I did just fine, thanks for the loaner speedloaders and holders for them. I stuck two extras in my jacket pockets.

Good group of people at OB as usual. Will do this again in December. They may run that match as a Qualifier. I will be joining the IDPA now after this. My buddy that came with me may join, we'll see. he did great and it was his first-ever competiton. I worry about him, he took WAY too many headshots! (And yes, he was hitting them with full-power .45 loads!)

I am getting some more equipment so I can also run some of my 1911's in this event. Yes, there are a couple of "bottom feeders" hidden amongst all those revolvers.  ;)

Mike:

There is an IDPA Classifier this Sunday at Somerset - although entry is limited to 18 people and it's full right now - there is a waiting list you can get on.

The week after that there is a classifier at Easton (EFGA). This is a "walk-on" no pre-registration needed. The MD sometimes adds some "scenario" stages and shoots it as a regular match. The MD requires some documentation of competence, so bring your USPSA card or an NRA certificate if you have taken any courses.

Here's a You Tube of what the classifier consists of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcgsd9_cBm8

You will not need a concealment garment for the classifier stages (they break the three long stages into 9 shorter ones), but you will for the added scenario stages.

There are usually a couple revolver shooters at the Easton match, although this time I may shoot SSP - haven't decided yet.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Your buddy John was pretty funny in the new shooters orientation. Discussing drawing from a concealed holster. Well, if you are LEO you can, the rest of us, we're outta luck!

The sitting at a table and removing the gun from the box is a scenario in NJ. Shooting from the Quad was also fun. Should make it challenging like Sporting Clays and let us drive it while shooting!  :)