EWC88

Boat license steps?

Looking at getting my boating license this year since I ride my gf's parents wave runners alot and figured get it so I don't get busted.

Question is where do I go to take test? Do I have to take a course?

I was on a website called boat-Ed which said sign up for course take quizzes online after you pass that you gotta take in class final. But wasn't sure if these courses are a good to location or online. I prefer online doing and then just taking final in person. But anyone who knows ease inform!

I attended a class from NJBoatSafLy (note the spelling). A few of us at work got together and had them to do a private class for us. They were great, excellent instructors! At the end of the class you take the test, and if passed you get your temporary permit on the spot. They also offer public classes in VFW, Elks, Firestations, etc.

It is a bona fide boat license issued by NJMVC and is required for gas / diesel powered boats over 1 HP and all PWC on any fresh water, non-tidal lake, river, pond, stream or puddle. They add it to your driver's license, and it actually says auto/boat.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Motorboat.htm

Motorboat or jet ski license
MVC issues motorboat and personal watercraft licenses for use on fresh, non-tidal waters or lakes, creeks or rivers not affected by tidal conditions. A boat license and New Jersey boat safety certificate is required to operate a power vessel or personal watercraft - jet ski or waverunner - on non-tidal waters of New Jersey. A boat license is not required for non-powered vessels.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/maritime/pdf/061108_nontidal.pdf (Flow Chart)

In order to get your boat license from NJMVC, you need to first obtain your boater's safety certificate, which you get by sitting through an 8 hour class. NJ does NOT accept the online boating safety courses.

The class is given either in one full day or two nights. They spend ALOT of time talking about jet ski (PWC) safety and how they don't turn without power, trailering, marine navigation, markers, DUI, personal floatation devices, etc. I found it pretty interesting, even though I have been boating for 35+ years. Always something to learn.

Once the class is over, you take a test, about 100 multiple choice questions IIRC. They grade it on the spot and give you a temporary boater's safety certificate if you pass. The official one comes from the NJSP a few weeks later. THEN you go to DMV and get your boat license add-on for $18.00.

The classes are usually scheduled at marina's,  municipal halls, etc. I took mine through BoatUS - http://www.boatus.com/courseline/courseline.asp

Good luck, and happy boating!

As stated, you need the boating safety certificate to operate Jet Skis or powered boats in any Jersey waters and the add on endorsement to your NJ Drivers license if you boat ( Jet skit, powered boat) in non tidal waters, lakes & ponds. Here is the down side, currently if you have the boat endorsement on your license, you will have to renew it in person, no mail in or online renewal.