Malsua

Hillsborough Township - how to avoid traffic on 206 on holidays?

Does anyone know how to avoid the giant traffic jam on 206 through Hillsborough on Holidays and such?   I often travel to South Jersey and on days when there will be heavy volume(I.E. southbound parking lot) on the Turnpike, I will shoot down 206.   The traffic through Hillsborough is usually terrible on these days, often worse if it's snowing or raining.  Once I'm through that area, I shoot down 601/Great road to bypass most of Princeton.  Even with the extra 20+ minutes through the area, it's still faster than being parked on the Turnpike for hours.

287 is fast, 601/great road is fast, 295 is fast...the weak link is through Hillsborough.  

The local people HAVE to know a way through or around this area to get me from Somerville to 295.   I'm not looking for a super highway, just some way to avoid the slow crawl through all the stoplights.

Thanks

yeah, avoid Hillsborough..    :D

honestly, there is no real main road in HB other than 206..  our cousin used to live there until this year and it was always the biggest PITA to get to her house..  now she moved out to Ringoes, and its a much smoother drive even though its technically further from us...  unfortunately, i dont know other local roads that would be any better, but maybe people who live there would be more helpful..  206 is the pits

If 206 is a parking lot then it might be worth taking back roads. Not long after the circle in Somerville you can swing a right on E Somerset Street. Make a left on Lyman street which will take you over a bridge, I think it's the Basilone Bridge. That puts you onto River Road. Stay on River Rd (bear right when it splits into Roycefield). Go a couple miles and swing a left on Beekman Ln. Make a right on S Branch Rd and then a left on E Mountain Rd. Take E Mountain (cross Amwell) all the way down until it runs into Blawenburg Belle Meade Rd (601) near Carrier Clinic. Make a right on 601. You can take that road a long ways down. You can get back to 206 by using Rt 518, Cherry Valley Rd, etc. 601 eventually turns into Great Rd and then Elm and then runs directly into 206 south of downtown Princeton.

There are variations you can do to this, like using Dukes Parkway W to New Center, etc. 

Edit: I've always had good luck with River Rd and Beekman in terms of speed. Typically highway speeds in some of the longer stretches.

If 206 is a parking lot then it might be worth taking back roads. Not long after the circle in Somerville you can swing a right on E Somerset Street. Make a left on Lyman street which will take you over a bridge, I think it's the Basilone Bridge. That puts you onto River Road. Stay on River Rd (bear right when it splits into Roycefield). Go a couple miles and swing a left on Beekman Ln. Make a right on S Branch Rd and then a left on E Mountain Rd. Take E Mountain (cross Amwell) all the way down until it runs into Blawenburg Belle Meade Rd (601) near Carrier Clinic. Make a right on 601. You can take that road a long ways down. You can get back to 206 by using Rt 518, Cherry Valley Rd, etc. 601 eventually turns into Great Rd and then Elm and then runs directly into 206 south of downtown Princeton.

There are variations you can do to this, like using Dukes Parkway W to New Center, etc. 

Edit: I've always had good luck with River Rd and Beekman in terms of speed. Typically highway speeds in some of the longer stretches.

Since I live in Hillsborough I think this is the best bet!

Thank you!  Exactly what I was looking for!

This ^^

That would almost be my chosen route.  I take a couple different back roads in that mix with similar results.

Ken