gunguy1960

oswalds easy shots

Saw a special before I left last week by two forensic marksmen. They obtained a Carcano that was just a few hundred serial numbers past the Oswald gun. Although the Klein's catalog that Oswald bought the gun from had better rifles, the Carcano with scope was only $19.

They pointed out that the ammo is round nosed unlike most modern ammo. This means most if the bullet is in contact with the rifling making the combo very accurate. The bullet is also very hard and easily break bone and remain intact.

They fired through cloth covered ballistics gel a 3 foot air gap into another cloth covered ballistic gel. The result was a slight tumble to the bullet when it hit the air and then entered the second "body at an angle that almost exactly matched the hole in Governor Connely's suit. The bullet remained intact though the back end was somewhat flattened with some lead coming out the back. Almost an exact match for the "magic" bullet.

As Oswald was a lefty and the Carcano scope was mounted offset on the left, they also believe that Oswald used the iron sights.

Modern analysis of the audio and a frame by frame analysis of the Zapruder film indicate that a first shot missed and the bullet was never recovered. The head shot entered from the rear and the pressure wave inside the brain caused the rearward jerking of the head. Again proved by firing a Carcano with similar ammo.

It was a very convincing case for the lone gunman theory of the Warren Commission.

Oh, and I was in 4th grade when it happened and still remember that afternoon and the ensuing days quite vividly.

the only problem with this is that the iron sights were not lined up as the front sight was bent and rusted right.

Also, none of that explains the fragmented bullet.  We're all shooters and that should jump out at us.  The kill shot, according to the reports, fragmented and 'exploded' in the head.  That doesn't happen with Oswalds ammo.

I don't know about the mail fraud but that may be true. 

Guys.....   The member was just expressing his feeling that this topic could be deemed Litterbox material.....  and to be honest, it can be.....  if its gets stupid.

Dont take what he said as personal..... it was not meant to be

The proper mechanisms for achieving litterbox status are:

* off topic

* insulting or disgusting

* nobody responds.

The last scenario has happened to me several times. Think of it as evolution. Survival of the fittest posts. Nothing wrong with it. 

Absolutely easy shots and completely possible in my opinion. The farthest shot (head) was only about 90 yards, the neck shot being about 60 - easy with a 4x scope that is zeroed.

There is no "pristine" or magic bullet, it is out of round consistent with passing through soft tissue (the neck) and yawing before striking someone else.

Watching the following has reinforced my opinion:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/cold-case-jfk.html

This was also extremely interesting:

http://www.sciencefriday.com/#path/segment/11/22/2013/using-modern-ballistics-to-crack-cold-case-jfk.html

Quoting for good info. Also at work in people making stuff up seems to be that people believe they ahve a good model of basic physics in their head. They do not. Some contributing factors to some of the oddities with the JFK shooting. 

1) the seats in the car are not all at the same level. That affects where one should perceive the shots should go. 

2) JFK was wearing a back brace, he did a lot. That messes with all the expected physical reactions.  As a fact, it doesn't seem to come up that often. I've only seen it mentioned a handful of times, and haven't ever seen a picture of what kind of brace it was until recently.  

I think what really fuels the conspiracy theory is that there are lots of gaps in the story, and you can TELL. So they try to complete the picture. IMO the reality is that what you are seeing is a situation where the government screwed up badly, tried to pretend they did not, and tried to boil it down to something that would have it be over by pointing the finger at one lone gunman. In doing so, what bits they did fill in rang a very off note. 

What I find odd is that so many people focus on the physical act, when that is pretty easily just what they claimed. As a teenager, it seemed like some inexplicable event. Add some facts and my own experience shooting, and all of a sudden it's not describing anything particularly impossible. A tumbling bullet deflecting off bone on a secondary strike and deflecting only 30 or so degrees? Not really hard to believe. Hitting a the upper torso 2 out of 3 times at under 100 yards? Pretty easy sitting still, not that much harder with some low speed motion. 

What strikes me is the totally half assed attempt to explain why. 

The scope was attached to the rifle.  The rifle was taken apart to get into the building and would have had to of been re zeroed per the testimony of the person in charge of the army shooting team that tested it.  Also, Oswald could NOT have fired that fast as the clip found with the rifle was bent and didn't allow for the feeding meaning Oswald would have had to of manually loaded each shot.  All of this is in the report so how do we get Oswald firing those shots?

Stolen from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_assassination_rifle

The FBI tests of the Carcano's accuracy showed:

1) FBI firearms expert Robert A. Frazier testified that "It is a very accurate weapon. The targets we fired show that."[61] From 15 yards (14 m), all three bullets in a test firing landed approximately 2½ inches high, and 1-inch (25 mm) to the right, in the area about the size of a dime.[62] At 100 yards (91 m), the test shots landed 2½ to 5 inches (130 mm) high, within a 3 to 5-inch (130 mm) circle. Frazier testified that the scope's high variation would actually work in the shooter's favor: with a target moving away from the shooter, no "lead" correction would have been necessary to follow the target. "At that range, at that distance, 175 feet (53 m) to 265 feet (81 m),[63] with this rifle and that telescopic sight, I would not have allowed any lead — I would not have made any correction for lead merely to hit a target of that size."

2) The rifle couldn't be perfectly "sighted-in" using the scope (i.e., thereby eliminating the above overshoot completely) without installing two metal shims (small metal plates), which were not present when the rifle arrived for testing, and were never found.[64] Frazier testified that there was "a rather severe scrape" on the scope tube, and that the sight could have been bent or damaged. He was unable to determine when the defect occurred before the FBI received the rifle and scope on November 27, 1963.

And:

In an effort to test the rifle under conditions that matched the assassination, the Infantry Weapons Evaluation Branch of the U.S. Army's Ballistics Research Laboratory had expert riflemen fire the assassination weapon from a tower at three silhouette targets at distances of 175, 240, and 265 feet (81 m).[65] Using the assassination rifle mounted with the telescopic sight, three marksmen, rated as master by the National Rifle Association, each fired two series of three shots. In the first series the firers required time spans of 4.6, 6.75, and 8.25 seconds respectively. On the second series they required 5.15, 6.45, and 7 seconds. The marksmen took as much time as they wanted for the first target at 175 feet (53 m), and all hit the target. For the first four attempts, the firers missed the second shot at 240 feet (73 m) by several inches. Five of the six shots hit the third target at 265 feet (81 m), the distance of President Kennedy from the sixth floor window when he was struck in the head.[66] None of the marksmen had any practice with the assassination weapon beforehand except to work the bolt.

Note that this was all accomplished with the Oswald rifle itself.  Oswald was intimately familiar with this rifle, so his results are assumed to be better.

I have been looking for the information that the magazine was bent, or there was rust in the barrel.  Can you provide the source?

Stolen from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_assassination_rifle[/ that the magazine was bent, or there was rust in the barrel. Can you provide the source?

Here is som delivheration on the "rusted rifle"

[url=http://www.jfk-ballistics.com/giljesus_rustedrifle.html]http://www.jfk-ballistics.com/giljesus_rustedrifle.html

.......by the way here is an interesting evaluation on Oswald's skills

http://www.jfk-ballistics.com/oswalds_marksmanship.html