vladtepes

post your favorite AR stock..

Over what and why?

P.S. HE, what's the deal with the Tango Down grip on the dept gun? Always looked weird to me.

Over what> every stock I've handled.

Why> It's has a nice cheek weld. Holds batteries. Doesn't have any wiggle when locked (for places you don't pin). It's magpuls 2nd strongest stock (ubr was 1st but is a no go in nj) I like that it had a guard so the lever is protected. And I love the company magpul.

SOPMOD and don't look back.

County Issued Colt R0933 Commando with SOPMOD:

3BA30730-1B8E-4729-8173-4B7A43C69878-178

Dept Issued Colt R0933 Commando with club foot imod:

11AE197F-52F2-4412-94A5-3B76D69D749A-647

ETA: This dept gun now is wearing a B5 Bravo stock as it is as close to a SOPMOD stock as I can get and still fit in the rack in the squad car.

And yes, the dept gun is on semi. SOP is condition 3 (mag in, bolt forward on an empty chamber), hammer down, selector on semi (can't go to safe with the hammer down).

I see you use the B A D lever, is that standard issue or your preference. 

Over what> every stock I've handled.

That's informative... For all we know it is the only stock you have handled making your opinion worthless. For example, the SOPMOD also stores batteries and locks up super tight to the receiver extension, but without the need for a locking lever. Have you ever used one to compare against the magpul?

Not trying to be a d!ck, just looking for constructive answers that are useful.

put the BCM grip and the standard imod stock on that bottom rifle and thats heaven right there. are they both full auto? and the t1 from the top rifle too

Both full auto, but almost never used in FA.

Between the 2, the top rifle is my favorite to shoot and is set up perfect for my needs. I wouldn't change a thing, and would like to set up both rifles identically. If had my druthers, I would carry the top rifle for both jobs.

One other plus for the SOPMOD is the rubber pad at the back of the stock, especially if you are shooting in armor. The back of the VLTOR imod is slick as sh!t against nylon/cordura. The SOPMOD sticks to your shoulder like velcro.

That's informative... For all we know it is the only stock you have handled making your opinion worthless. For example, the SOPMOD also stores batteries and locks up super tight to the receiver extension, but without the need for a locking lever. Have you ever used one to compare against the magpul?

Between the 2, the top rifle is my favorite to shoot and is set up perfect for my needs. I wouldn't change a thing, and would like to set up both rifles identically. If had my druthers, I would carry the top rifle for both jobs.

One other plus for the SOPMOD is the rubber pad at the back of the stock, especially if you are shooting in armor. The back of the VLTOR imod is slick as sh!t against nylon/cordura. The SOPMOD sticks to your shoulder like velcro.

The post is what stock you prefer. Not what's the absolute best stock on the planet. That's the one I like the best. I also like the company magpul a lot so I tend to eye their stuff first. Telling the antigun politicians in Colorado where to stick it was a great thing. As far as the sopmod, no I haven't messed with one. I have nothing against em I just went with the str.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just ordered a BCM mod3 grip and I'll report back with my results.

Unfortunately, my current stock (MOE) is pinned through the buffer tube and I don't have the tools to remove it myself. It may be a while before I get the chance to install the B5 bravo.

I'd just buy a new tube. You can either save the stock for your next build or sell it.

The post is what stock you prefer. Not what's the absolute best stock on the planet. That's the one I like the best. I also like the company magpul a lot so I tend to eye their stuff first. Telling the antigun politicians in Colorado where to stick it was a great thing. As far as the sopmod, no I haven't messed with one. I have nothing against em I just went with the str.

Right, but preference is based on experiencing different options and then choosing one to be your preference. Preference is very subjective and can be based on many factors, but all things being equal, someone who has tried out ten different variations of something is going to have a better idea of what they prefer than someone who has only ever tried one particular model. That's all

I am saying.

I also like Magpul - they are a standup company and Rich and Drake are good people - and have used a few of their stocks - currently the MOE, CTR, PRS. I had a UBR, ACS and STR. Interestingly enough I did not like the ACS or STR at all.

weird.  my imod has a rubber pad from the factory.  (admitted - imod chose purely for aesthetics)

0D3C30C6-0F6B-4143-8F96-60E05FB9D7EE_zps

Awesome! But as you can see mine does not, this makes me sad :(

Mine are old VLTOR mod-stocks, (imod before they called them imod) good to know they upgraded that in the newest iterations.

My emod has the rubber pad though:

51CE92FB-3B48-4B3D-96F4-8D1C6790B54A_zps

Still like the SOPMOD best

ETA: There's that TD grip again :) I upgraded my MP15-22 up with parts from the parts bin including the eoturd. I won all the TD stuff (stubby, pistol grip, rail covers) for being high shooter in an EAG carbine 2 course and I wasn't using it for anything else....

I will likely be getting a BCM Gunfighter grip for it soonest.

Edited by High Exposure

I'd just buy a new tube. You can either save the stock for your next build or sell it.

The tube runs, like, over $100, so financially it makes more sense to try and salvage it. If I ran a standard tube I would, though.

EDIT: I misunderstood what you were saying. I may just do that...

can you measure the stock front to back.. what is the length?

thanks

IMOD is 6.62" long with the rubber butt pad.

http://www.vltor.com/imod-basic.html

IMOD at a glance

Dimensions

Length: 6.250” (without buttpad)

Length: 6.626” (with buttpad)

Width: 2.500” (with storage compartments installed)

Height: 5.210” (with buttpad installed)

Weight: 9.4oz

EMOD is 7.75"

http://www.vltor.com/EMOD-New.html

EMOD at a glance

Dimensions

Length w/buttpad 7.75 inches (at centerline of tube)

LOP fully collapsed 11.5 inches

LOP fully extended 14.75 inches

Weight 14oz

The SOPMOD is just a hair under 7.5" and weighs in at 11.5oz.

Also a pretty good article about stocks on different rifle/carbine configurations:

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations

Edited by High Exposure

And yes, the dept gun is on semi. SOP is condition 3 (mag in, bolt forward on an empty chamber), hammer down, selector on semi (can't go to safe with the hammer down).

My son's department has the same protocol. Reason being if you have time to get a patrol rifle out, you have time to chamber the round.

Should eliminate episodes like the Chino motor cop with his AR.

http://ktla.com/2013/10/23/3-students-hurt-when-cops-gun-discharges-at-school-safety-demo/

Do you find any issues having similar rifles with different setups?

ARs_zpsb9065340.jpg

And what do you not care for with the EoTech?

My son's department has the same protocol. Reason being if you have time to get a patrol rifle out, you have time to chamber the round.

Should eliminate episodes like the Chino motor cop with his AR.

http://ktla.com/2013/10/23/3-students-hurt-when-cops-gun-discharges-at-school-safety-demo/

It's a good policy. I just wish it was bolt forward on empty chamber, hammer cocked, selector on SAFE, mag in.

It seems there is a belief (based in complete fantasy) that leaving the hammer cocked will weaken the springs over time that could eventually causing a weak hit on the primer. :rolleyes:

Do you find any issues having similar rifles with different setups?

They are all set up pretty close actually. The white light and vert grip are in the same place, the stocks are very close on LOP and all have similar profiles (the middle gun has a B5 Bravo stock on it now), and the slings are set up the same. Also the bottom rifle is a .22 trainer while the other two are work guns.

And what do you not care for with the EoTech?

The EO has abysmal battery life, L3 has crappy CS, it is unreliable, it has a stupid auto off feature, I find it has a busy reticle, they designed the battery compartment poorly.

A guy that lives in the town I work in is a rep/dealer for MFT. He have me a few stocks to try out. They were OK. I put them with CAA or Mako. No where near as well made or comfortable as a Magpul, B5, LMT, VLTOR, etc...

That "minimalist" stock wasn't one I got hands on, but it looks like it would be an exercise in frustration. That "hook" would get caught on everything, snag hazards in the environment, chest rigs, slings, armor carriers.. No thanks.

Plus, I would not want to mortar that thing try to clear a malfunction.