Sign in to follow this  
Barms

Bipod

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Combat-Profile-Adjustable-Height/dp/B001WJ577O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387119019&sr=8-3&keywords=utg+bipod

Only 16 bucks. I'm buying this simply because I have built my first AR and I'm obsessed with wanting to know how consistent my rifle (or me) can shoot. I don't expect any tactical quality from this.

If anybody up in north Jerz would want to split it or pass it around let me know. It's not like I would use it frequently after it served it's purpose. We would just re-borrow it when needed.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Combat-Profile-Adjustable-Height/dp/B001WJ577O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387119019&sr=8-3&keywords=utg+bipod

Only 16 bucks. I'm buying this simply because I have built my first AR and I'm obsessed with wanting to know how consistent my rifle (or me) can shoot. I don't expect any tactical quality from this.

If anybody up in north Jerz would want to split it or pass it around let me know. It's not like I would use it frequently after it served it's purpose. We would just re-borrow it when needed.

If that is your main goal, you'd be better of with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Deadshot-Shooting-Bag-Combo/dp/B002APAWY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387120850&sr=8-1&keywords=caldwell+shooting+rest

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Rock-Metal-Front-Rifle/dp/B0007Y8SBW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1387120850&sr=8-4&keywords=caldwell+shooting+rest

Could be used for sighting in any rifle or even handgun.

I bought this one from ebay and it was delivered yesterday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/picatinny-adjustable-foldable-spring-return-rest-sniper-hunting-rifle-bipod-M50-/260986420330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc400bc6a

Looks like the same one the original post shows except I also got the barrel mount.

The bipod seems to be quality.  The barrel mount is not great.  I had to grind 1/4" off the bolts to get enough clearance for the bipod to mount on the barrel mount and the screw holes are oversized enough that I'm afraid the screws will pull out.  I'll probably end up tapping the holes and using a bigger screw.

Mounted it on my Mosin "poor man's sniper" last night.

poor-mans-sniper.jpg

any little tiny movement you make will be magnified while balancing on the bipod, rather than resting on the bags.  And why cant you use a rear bag?

Agreed. A bag is more stabile than a bipod. Ad as Checko asked, why can't u

You use the rear bag? You don't need to, I normally don't, but others do. Again, just more stability as you try and figure out if its you, the sights or the rifle.

A sand bag or other heavy bench rest is definately better at getting your rifle absolutely rock solid steady.   But a bipod works fine too.  If you want to practice your shooting so the skill can be used anywhere other than the shooting bench, you need to use the equipment you're likely to have with you.  With a bipod in prone position, you can get rock solid enough to shoot as good as most rifles can handle. 

A sand bag or other heavy bench rest is definately better at getting your rifle absolutely rock solid steady.   But a bipod works fine too.  If you want to practice your shooting so the skill can be used anywhere other than the shooting bench, you need to use the equipment you're likely to have with you.  With a bipod in prone position, you can get rock solid enough to shoot as good as most rifles can handle.

Agree, but with a relatively new shooter trying to sight in his rifle as well as trying to determine if he has an issue with the rifle, he'd be better off starting with a bag or sled.

The rear bag in that listing will not work for an AR the pistol grip and mag are too tall.

I've read the reviews for half a dozen rests. Most of them "doesn't work for my AR"

The "sleds" don't work for ARs. If anybody owns a sled that works for pistol grips and 20 round mags I will drive to your house and pay you to borrow it