Sign in to follow this  
HBecwithFn7

Pro Gun... or Anti Gun???

I came upon today's (02/22/2014) "Non Sequitur" comic strip: 

Non Sequitur, 02/22/2014

I can't decide whether or not it's "Pro-gun" or "Anti Gun." I have my suspicions, but I'd be interested

in your thoughts, before I give mine. :)

I believe that this is anti-gun.  The face of the child shows it all.   It is bringing to the attention, the American focus on firearms with the "New American Classic", etc., while largely glossing over the threat of the big bad wolf.  It relishes in the necessity for the wussification of the American culture.  

If it was pro-gun it would say:

"While the aggressive repeat offender Big Bad Wolf continued to break down their doors, the frightened little pigs, in fear of their lives, attempted to unlock their government mandated safe in order to gain access to their modern sporting rifles with severely limited magazines."

IMO of course.

I think it's supposed to be anti-gun and making fun of American gun culture.  The funny thing is I think it's accidentally PRO-gun:  the pigs are no match for the wolf and are at his mercy if he succeeds in breaking into the house.   The pigs' rifles are going to prevent a mass murder and having their corpses eaten.

BrassOrchid badge-pro.png said, 3 minutes ago

@282Mikado

Liberals are no enigma. They are the same people as are the rest. Government is a warmer, fuzzier, kinder and gentler gun, able to kill more efficiently and with greater accuracy. While a few thousand right-wing lunatics are digging bunkers and stocking up on guns and ammunition, a handful of liberal rulers are digging mass graves and stocking up on body bags and gas-fired crematoriums. Human stupidity is universal. It is only a matter of how far beyond the ordinary one’s stupidity will soar. Why settle for mundane folly when there are millions to kill and whole nations and races to be subjugated and destroyed? Dare to dream! There may not be any money involved, but when you die, on your death-bed, you will receive total consciousness of the horrors you wrought.

So I’ve got that going for me.

A comment from the site in reply to

282Mikado said, about 5 hours ago

Liberals are an enigma. They insist we should not judge all Muslims by the crazy acts of a few, yet it is absolutely critical that we judge all gun owners by the crazy acts of a few.

Back in the day older kids were allowed to take their guns to school so that when school let out they could immediately go out hunting. It was quite common to see a pickup truck going down the road with one or two rifles or shotguns hung on the rear window gun rack. Yet during that time you never heard of school shootings.

Now, when guns aren’t even allowed near a school and few even have gun racks in their trucks much less guns, the hot topic always seems to be the latest public shooting.

It is not the gun that has changed, it is the morality of the people. Unfortunately, correcting the moral problem in this country is something no one wants address (on either side of the aisle) because that is a subject that might just hit a little too close to home.

I think it's supposed to be anti-gun and making fun of American gun culture.  The funny thing is I think it's accidentally PRO-gun:  the pigs are no match for the wolf and are at his mercy if he succeeds in breaking into the house.   The pigs' rifles are going to prevent a mass murder and having their corpses eaten.

My exact thoughts as I read the strip initially. Intended to be anti-gun, but wound up being slightly pro-gun in result. Although one might argue that the kid's expression could simply be a consequence of listening to the basic story... but I doubt it. :D

Interesting how today's comments on the strip's site mirror our "pro/anti" gun discussions here :D :D.... Good to see all the "pro2A" folks comment there. I would have thought the opposite, actually.  :)

As far as colletivism goes, yeah, the only thing it lacked was sympathy for the big bad wolf who had a tough puppyhood and couldn't possibly be responsible for his predator-like actions.