RecessedFilter

Current AR lower legalities

So I'm not huge into AR's but I know a lot of you are. I know AIM has suspended shipments of lowers to NJ and I also talked to a shop in PA and they won't sell lowers to NJ residents, yet they will sell a complete NJ-compliant AR to a NJ resident. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I'm just curious because I know tons of shops in NJ sell AR lowers...

So what's going on here? Or is it not a simple answer?

It might have something to do with receiver markings.  There is some weird wording in nj gun laws and when a supplier or retailer does not understand them they just go the easy way out and say the hell with nj.  Some have the full auto or 3 round burst setting on the safety and some are stamped AR15.  I think the AR-15 stamping is a no go.

Ken

About AIM, its their decision. Maybe someone talked funny on the phone and raised a rad flag.

I m sure you know this:

The lower stripped is classified by BATFE in the OTHER category which means its not a pistol or rifle....YET.......so when buying out of state the FFL has to send it to your state to an FFL. However a complete rifle is a rifle and if NJ compliant they sell them to you out of state.

I was told at a gun show by a PA FFL that the lower could be made into a pistol, so he could not sell it to anyone out of state.  He proceeded to show me several complete rifles that he wanted to sell to me.

Palmetto State and Midwest PX still ship to NJ.  I really want one of those sexy new forged lowers from Midwest with a side-charge upper.

I think someone already mentioned that it can't say "AR15" on it.  But my "AM15" stamped lower is perfectly fine.

I thought it was interesting that G&S Hunters in Paterson won't transfer you a fully assembled lower with an unpinned telescopic stock (regardless of whether you own an upper or not). 

Edit: to clarify, I believe they'll do the transfer if you ask them to pin it first. They seem to regard an unpinned stock the same as a 30 round magazine, i.e, totally banned, as opposed to an "evil feature".

One can only acquire a long gun from an out of state firearms dealer. A frame or receiver is not a long gun. It must be sent to a NJ dealer. This is Federal Law and discussed many times on NJGF.

One can only acquire a long gun from an out of state firearms dealer. A frame or receiver is not a long gun. It must be sent to a NJ dealer. This is Federal Law and discussed many times on NJGF.

Best explanation right here.